Coach Patch is back

Remove this Banner Ad

So doing some thinking re where we go next, given the pending bad news re Clarkson.

It would be hard to justify patch as senior coach after our last two short lived appointments.

However, he is a very well loved shinboner and certainly gets the club. He also won his first game sooner than clarko and if we beat the suns this week, will have a better like for like record than clarko across their first 6 games.

So, what would need to happen to justify giving patch the job?

Obviously dry strong experienced support would be the key. And whilst we struggle to attract the right people, maybe dollars would talk in this scenario.

So patch is named senior coach, I think he’d sign on for $200k per annum, but let’s say it’s $350k. That leaves a hell of a lot of cheddar in cap space to get some really strong people to support patch. Even if they earned more than him initially I think patch would accept this.

Chocco Williams - imo some of his attributes are more attractive than clarko. Namely player development. Pay whatever it takes to get him into the club.

Don Pyke - his coaching record is pretty good in what was trying circumstances. Would probably jump at the chance for redemption post the camp fallout.

Keep Blakey.

Patch, chocco, pyke and Blakey

I could get behind that group.

And it wouldn’t break the bank.

Edit: I jokingly said bring rutten in yesterday as a joke but by all reports he has plenty of positive attributes and we can have * paying much of his contract.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be advocating Patch - I haven't seen enough positives since him taking the reigns so as to warrant being confident in him being the senior coach.

The win vs Richmond was great don't get me wrong but we all know they kick even 10% better, Richmond win that game. They smashed the inside 50s and we should have lost by 4-5 goals.

I have to say also I have lost a lot of faith in Blakey - he is the common thread through Shaw, Noble and now Patch and not sure he is what was sold to us or at least what his reputation was at Sydney.

If the unthinkable happens I would be happy with a next generation type in Kingsley etc backed by a senior assistant a la Choco. I think part of Melbourne's success was snaring Alan Richardson when he got dumped by St Kilda. You need almost two senior level coaches these days.

What a pity Patch wasn’t ready to take over in 2019. I like the cut of his jib at this coaching caper. Unfortunately, we appear to have painted ourselves into a corner now and need to hire an “experienced” coach.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don Pyke? Coached Adelaide to a GF and has been credited with getting Sydney's game style together so they actually score.
nah hes a walking red flag with the camp, and even went back to the same company after the camp to come in and do more leadership work

as an assistant he would be ok but not one running the whole coaching department and strategy

he pulled up a young fella for sloppy skills yesterday and said we no longer train like that.
Stopped the guys from wandering off the field between changes. made them run.

my question though is- how did we fall so far?
Have heard marvelous things about patch so that doesn't surprise me.

Here's a fun stat that backs up how the team is playing a more modern style:

From the point Patch took over, North are the most efficient side at scoring from possession chains* starting in their forward half.

Still only mid table in terms of total points from that method, but being the most efficient backs up the eye test that when the method works, it really clicks in trying to keep the ball trapped in the forward half for longer.

(*this covers all stoppages in the forward half, and turnovers forced in the forward half)

he pulled up a young fella for sloppy skills yesterday and said we no longer train like that.
Stopped the guys from wandering off the field between changes. made them run.

my question though is- how did we fall so far?
Haven't we heard this for every new coach in the last 3 years? Noble apparently spent most of his time at the club trying to get us to train properly. I'll believe it when we start running out games lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope Patch stays on in Clarko's new team. Has been bloody impressive for such a young coach.

I think that Patch should be given a fair crack to be an understudy to Clarkson. He has stepped in for the club when we needed it and handled himself quite well. Delivered stern feedback where required and has the team that was in shambles at least playing some cohesive footy. There is a lot to build with there.

Rated highly by Clarko so I fully expect Patch and to remain under the great man’s tutelage.

Thanks for holding the reins in the interim Patch.
I'm very relieved to read this, of all the coaches we have him and Boomer are the two I want to hold on to the most. In Patch's case it's less because he's a North man and more because his CV and way he has carried himself as interim coach are very impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back