Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

Gil pulling strings to make sure there's 90k at the mcg against Collingwood

The almighty dollar wins again smh.

I guess the lesson here is if you're attacking the ball, make sure you recklessly jump in the air and take out your opponent, and also don't be shorter than the other guy or he'll * you up

Well obviously.

I guess any time you jump for a ball from now on, it is considered a reckless action according to you, and if you happen to make contact with an opponent who hits his head on the ground, that you 'took out' that opponent.

What will be funny is how many completely different incidents get compared to this one going forward.

The one most like it ... Willie Rioli. Result: He got off too.

Wow didn't see the technicality there 😊

Controversy, this is good stuff, why would we expect a clear devisive interpretation of a play when the umpires set the precedent 😂

The anger, the jubilation! AFL brings it all

Let's play ball!!!

I think the AFL has shown enough precedent in recent times that it's not all about "thug" acts. That even clumsy/accidental behaviour will warrant a ban.

His effort at the ball was appalling and took the player out, causing injury. It was a week at minimum, two was fine as well. He should never have been allowed off.
I agree, Cripps wasn't going for the ball and he didn't show a duty of care. If he was going for the ball his hands would have been out.

Cripps is reckless, has been for ages now. Won’t be his last rodeo. Just a reckless player who doesn’t have any regard for his opposition. It’s just the way he plays. Thoughts go out to Ah Chee, who would be feeling the ill-effects of the knock. Big blow to the AFL, who speak a big game on making the game safer, and trying to prevent CTE, but fails to actually do anything about it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Absolute joke this competition.
No standard be it for umpiring interpretation or MRO adjudication is held with any regard for professional conduct or common sense.
Everything is agenda based or media driven!
It’s actually corrupt
I have yet to see 1 collingwood supporter agree with the appeal boards decision. Can someone tell me why is that ?
If you think that a contested situation , where both players attack the football at the same time is not good for the game , then maybe AFL footy is not for you.
You mentioned " common sense " - well it has prevailed here tonight

Cripps is reckless, has been for ages now. Won’t be his last rodeo. Just a reckless player who doesn’t have any regard for his opposition. It’s just the way he plays. Thoughts go out to Ah Chee, who would be feeling the ill-effects of the knock. Big blow to the AFL, who speak a big game on making the game safer, and trying to prevent CTE, but fails to actually do anything about it.
Its a valid point about the way Cripps plays - I recall a video a few season ago when he was tutoring SPS on how to turn into the contest to use your body to protect the ball.

Found it:

The whole point being that he knows to turn into the contest to use his body to protect the fall of the ball. A similar strategy to that in the Cotchin vs Shiel contest which arguably caused Shiel's shoulder issue in the 2017 finals (and Cotchin was far later to the ball):

Gil pulling strings to make sure there's 90k at the mcg against Collingwood

The almighty dollar wins again smh.

I guess the lesson here is if you're attacking the ball, make sure you recklessly jump in the air and take out your opponent, and also don't be shorter than the other guy or he'll * you up

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lol wot? Do you have other examples of said recklessness? Or just the vibe?

I have yet to see 1 collingwood supporter agree with the appeal boards decision. Can someone tell me why is that ?
If you think that a contested situation , where both players attack the football at the same time is not good for the game , then maybe AFL footy is not for you.
You mentioned " common sense " - well it has prevailed here tonight
Mate, I’m talking about the afl in general.
There is no consistent message on any matter.
It’s too fluid.
I can have an opinion regardless of who I support!

People watch footy to get away from the bullshit of the real world, where people can get off charges at court from having smart enough lawyers find a crack and a technicality. Thanks for bringing that into sport AFL.

This one reeks of a set-up. Why wouldn't Calrton make this case on Tuesday? Why wouldn't they say that this was not a bump and make more of an issue when trying to get him off? How would the AFL prosecutor not know that he has to establish that it was a bump for the charge to stick?

Absolute set-up to me.
High post content to avatar and username correlation.

People watch footy to get away from the bullshit of the real world, where people can get off charges at court from having smart enough lawyers find a crack and a technicality. Thanks for bringing that into sport AFL.

This one reeks of a set-up. Why wouldn't Calrton make this case on Tuesday? Why wouldn't they say that this was not a bump and make more of an issue when trying to get him off? How would the AFL prosecutor not know that he has to establish that it was a bump for the charge to stick?

Absolute set-up to me.

Carlton absolutely made the case that it was not a bump and that Cripps was contesting the ball on Tuesday. The prosecutor didn't ask Cripps what his intent was and whether he tried to bump Ah Chee. It's not our fault that the AFL opted to not consider our evidence on Tuesday, giving us grounds to appeal. We would have rathered it was over on Tuesday so we could concentrate on the rest of the week.

Even if you are contesting the ball (especially in a non marking situation) you have a duty of care not to smash the opposing player in the head

Jumping off the ground and recklessly cannoning into the opposition player whilst smashing him in the head and concussing him and putting him out of the game is a 2 week suspension everyday of week

It's a disgraceful decision but hey what do you expect from a *ed clown organisation like the AFL

If this was tantamount to a decision to re-try the matter because the Tribunal messed up it’s decision making procedures, how does the afl not have a rule in place for procedural justice for determining the matter with the correct procedures.

That is to say the appellate Panel either needed to allow the appeal and step into the shoes of the Tribunal and make the decision using the proper procedures or they needed to refer the matter back to the Tribunal to reconsider the matter using the proper procedures and the Tribunal needs to be constituted by a different arbiter.

If this was tantamount to a decision to re-try the matter because the Tribunal messed up it’s decision making procedures, how does the afl not have a rule in place for procedural justice for determining the matter with the correct procedures.

That is to say the appellate Panel either needed to allow the appeal and step into the shoes of the Tribunal and make the decision using the proper procedures or they needed to refer the matter back to the Tribunal to reconsider the matter using the proper procedures and the Tribunal needs to be constituted by a different arbiter.

The appeals tribunal did not find that the manner in which Cripps contested the ball was inappropriate, and they found that there was no intent to bump.

The mess up by the AFL just gave us grounds to appeal. He didn't get off on a technicality.

Even if you are contesting the ball (especially in a non marking situation) you have a duty of care not to smash the opposing player in the head

Jumping off the ground and recklessly cannoning into the opposition player whilst smashing him in the head and concussing him and putting him out of the game is a 2 week suspension everyday of week

It's a disgraceful decision but hey what do you expect from a ******ed clown organisation like the AFL

Nah see, you're looking at outcome as though Cripps should have known that might happen. You are using the word 'recklessly', and 'cannoning' and 'smashing' as a matter of fact, when it is your opinion. The tribunal can't adjudicate based on hyperbole.

Well he should of gotten 2 but all I can say is good luck to Carlton because there is no way in hell the AFL will let this slide and they will get their pound of flesh some how. Wouldnt be surprised if Carlton get absolutely reamed by the umps this weekend

Can the AFL appeal the appeal ? :p

Carlton will probably still lose the next 2 games anyway!

The appeals tribunal did not find that the manner in which Cripps contested the ball was inappropriate, and they found that there was no intent to bump.

The mess up by the AFL just gave us grounds to appeal. He didn't get off on a technicality.
Ok, so they did stand in the shoes then. Fair enough.

We can’t complain then if this is the law.

This does mean that a lot of other suspensions were wrongly adjudicated by Christian/Tribunal and were appealable.

Ok, so they did stand in the shoes then. Fair enough.

We can’t complain then if this is the law.

This does mean that a lot of other suspensions were wrongly adjudicated by Christian/Tribunal and were appealable.

The AFL want to cover their arses every time someone is knocked out in this contact sport of ours. They are desperately searching for ways to suspend players for actions that are a reasonable expectation in the game so they can say that they have done their utmost to take head high contact out of the game. The problem is that this is a 360 degree game where contesting for the ball is the main goal. They can write rules for players shepherding high, running past the ball to block someone and catching them high, slinging them to the ground when it wasn't needed and a myriad of things that could have been done differently without affecting the main goal of contesting for the football.

They can't stop people flying for marks and knocking themselves out. Diving on a ball and knocking themselves out on someone's knee. Jumping to contest a ball, whether in a marking contest or otherwise.

They can't legislate for size differences or one's ability to leap higher than another. They suspended Lachie Plowman last year for making high contact with a Hawks player. Plowman was attempting to spoil the whole time until the last second when he turned to protect himself, lowered his fist and they got him for choose to bump. Cripps never pulled his arms in for contact. His arms remained extended to take the ball on his chest. The AFL contention that he could have not jumped so high and tried to take the ball with his outstretched arms instead of on his chest is just a ridiculous leap in logic considering the time he had to make the decision. They also tried to suggest he should have waited down for Ah Chee to take the ball and tried to tackle. Like literally stand there and wait.

Not really how our game is played is it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back