Patrick Dangerfield leading the charge for footy fashion runways

Remove this Banner Ad

There will be a TV program promoting the players involved with both local & national advertised sold - the better the time slot, the better the advertising dollars.

The nonsense around footy will more interest to some than the game itself, e.g the celebrity commentators.
I turned off the pre game before tonights game, not my cup of tea, havent gone back.

Spot on. Major reason I barely watch non-Geelong games anymore. Sound down is suddenly far more bearable.

The diseased consumerist voyeurism that underpins interest in NBA player fashion is based on the idea that these are multi-millionaire celebrities who show off elaborate things that the average person cannot afford.

In this way, people can indulge their own fantasies of fame and wealth vicariously.

A sick capitalist society worships real wealth and celebrity. It does not worship pissant upper middle-class people - which most AFL players are - wearing very moderately expensive clothes that middle class people can afford if they really want to.

With Selwood they are probably at least 2-1. This is entirely on Dangerfield and his obsession with self promotion

This is just Danger wanting to turn the AFL into the NBA.
Some players would use it as a way of promoting their own gear. Some would take sponsorship money from labels to wear their gear. Others will use it as a piss take to see who can wear the weirdest s**t.
I detest the idea, but it won't affect me too much because I'll just tune in as the game starts, but it will become its own circus with all the Ch7, Fox Footy, etc social media pages constantly posting rubbish about who wore the best outfit and post game interviews asking players about what they wore.
It'll take over if it gets through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The diseased consumerist voyeurism that underpins interest in NBA player fashion is based on the idea that these are multi-millionaire celebrities who show off elaborate things that the average person cannot afford.

In this way, people can indulge their own fantasies of fame and wealth vicariously.

A sick capitalist society worships real wealth and celebrity. It does not worship pissant upper middle-class people - which most AFL players are - wearing very moderately expensive clothes that middle class people can afford if they really want to.
Our society is diseased with the worship of consumerism. Nothing is real or humble anymore. Showing off is the word of the day.

Our society is diseased with the worship of consumerism. Nothing is real or humble anymore. Showing off is the word of the day.
Humans have always shown off.

Footy is about showing off.

This is next level floggishness tho. So completely understandable from Cloverfield ... I mean Dangermouse ... er ... whatever his name is.

Doesn't hurt anyone. Lets players feel like they're expressing themselves. They'll post it on social media for the plastics out there.

It won't effect anyone that doesn't care about it, only people who want to see it will see it. I doubt the casual fan is going to turn the TV on 10 minutes earlier to catch up on who wore what into the ground but someone that way inclined might, or they'll go to their social media.

They already show players walking into the changerooms in highlight clips throught he game/half time so that won't change, the only difference is a couple of the players will be showing everyone how creative their personality is because they dressed slightly obtuse with that wacky scarf.

Big meh from me. It's a none issue.

I struggle to believe anything written on a News.com.au article. But I am sure Reilly O'Brien agrees with footy players getting their views out into the world so we can all see and hear what footy players wear or think about things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back