Autopsy Patrick Dangerfield approached to join the AFL Commission

Remove this Banner Ad

Do neutrals/casuals like this guy or does everyone outside of Geelong, AFL House and the ‘AFL World Media’ (aka 30 men who live in Melbourne and Caro) think he’s a complete w***er?

A lot of Geelong people get the shits with him sometimes too.

A current player is very odd to me. Hodge, Selwood, Pav, and Eddie Betts all come to mind as recently retired future hall of famers...who have achieved far more than him and would offer much greater insight.

Reeks of Gil trying to manipulate the stalled future player payments by 'poaching' their representative. Danger will be enemy number 1 if that actually ended up being the case. Genuinely hope he rejects it, as it will not bode well for his post career trajectory.

Last edited:
The AFLPA has been something of a joke for a while. With the whole Hawthorn racism saga, I was gobsmacked that the role (or the lack thereof) of the AFLPA wasn't investigated. If the players had serious concerns about their treatment, why didn't they go to the AFLPA? Surely, that's their role. An independent body that has the players best interests at heart which can advocate on behalf of them.

And then I remembered the AFLPA isn't there to support players, it's there for the AFL to keep the players in check. And I realised how stupid I was to think that the AFL would investigate their own practices. Dangerfield is getting his just reward for towing the party line. I mean when the AFLPA's biggest concern is what players wear before a game, you know it's a joke.

Dangerfield to join the AFL commission

Tom Harley the new AFL CEO

Steve Hocking to return as the General Manager of footy operations

Chris Scott can be chairman of the rules committee

Selwood to become head of umpiring

Lingy and Jimmy Bartel to run the ARC

Gerard Whateley to devise the fixtures and tv scheduling

Mooney can split his time between boundary riding and giving red cards to concussed players

Hawkins and Stevie J can be the goal umpires at GMHBA Stadium

Phat Boy and STP to be chairman and vice chairman of the All Australian selection committee

Catman can be the MRO

Bobby Davis and Maxy Rooke to be inducted as the next AFL Legends

That's actually pretty good. You could have Bartel also offering marriage counselling and Stokes running drug awareness programs to complete the set!

only is a pathetically run amateur billion dollar boys club business would this occur

A current player, on the AFLPA to go on the commission, running football, while the CBA is being negotiated

But then again, Steve Hocking was in charge of Geelong, ran the AFL, changed the rules to suit Geelong, and then went back to run Geelong, so why would anyone be surprised

This league is a joke.

Can't wait for Gerald to tell us all, how much we all want and need this, just wait I am sure its coming

The AFLPA has been something of a joke for a while. With the whole Hawthorn racism saga, I was gobsmacked that the role (or the lack thereof) of the AFLPA wasn't investigated. If the players had serious concerns about their treatment, why didn't they go to the AFLPA? Surely, that's their role. An independent body that has the players best interests at heart which can advocate on behalf of them.

And then I remembered the AFLPA isn't there to support players, it's there for the AFL to keep the players in check. And I realised how stupid I was to think that the AFL would investigate their own practices. Dangerfield is getting his just reward for towing the party line. I mean when the AFLPA's biggest concern is what players wear before a game, you know it's a joke.

It's been a joke for at least a decade. It's a union funded by the employer.

A lot of Geelong people get the shits with him sometimes too.

A current player is very odd to me. Hodge, Selwood, Pav, and Eddie Betts all come to mind as recently retired future hall of famers...who have achieved far more than him and would offer much greater insight.

Reeks of Gil trying to manipulate the stalled future player payments by 'poaching' their representative. Danger will be enemy number 1 if that actually ended up being the case. Genuinely hope he rejects it, as it will not bode well for his post career trajectory.

Yes agreed but can't go along with the idea that just because they are future hall of famers they should be in the frame. Why not seek out a recently retired ex player who has achieved outside of football, too? I'm not talking about someone who has simply made a lot of money or done well in the media, but someone who has displayed a superior IQ by getting some serious qualifications through study and application.

There must be a few recently retired players along the Reilly O'Brien lines who fit the bill?

Also, I agree with the sentiment that the massively unpopular Gil should have just resigned and walked away, not granted himself some sort of year-long cringeworthy lap of honour.

Read the room, Gil

Yes agreed but can't go along with the idea that just because they are future hall of famers they should be in the frame. Why not seek out a recently retired ex player who has achieved outside of football, too? I'm not talking about someone who has simply made a lot of money or done well in the media, but someone who has displayed a superior IQ by getting some serious qualifications through study and application.

There must be a few recently retired players along the Reilly O'Brien lines who fit the bill?

Also, I agree with the sentiment that the massively unpopular Gil should have just resigned and walked away, not granted himself some sort of year-long cringeworthy lap of honour.

Read the room, Gil

I think ROB stamped his papers when he got called out, defending Peterson, after attending.

ROB might be an academically smart guy, but not exactly street smart when it comes to reading the room/being impartial on controversial matters. Strikes me a bit like GAJ off the field, to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think ROB stamped his papers when he got called out, defending Peterson, after attending.

ROB might be an academically smart guy, but not exactly street smart when it comes to reading the room/being impartial on controversial matters. Strikes me a bit like GAJ off the field, to be honest.

Reread my post. I said ''a few recently retired players along the Reilly O'Brien lines''

I mean someone with a brain not hopelessly compromised by still playing the game. I am not advocating for Reilly O'Brien in any way.

Read the room, Gil
Mitch Wallis fits that bill. As someone just mentioned on the Bulldogs BigFooty board, we should get Mitch on the Footscray Football Club board ASAP.

Remind me to pass on your thoughts and best wishes to Tom Lynch, Bachar Houli, Josh Caddy, Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia and Shaun Grigg.
You're more than welcome,

So can we then assume by your comments "Can't be too dumb, left.Adelaide and won a premiership and a Brownlow."(sic) that although not necessarily loyal, Tom Lynch, Bachar Houli, Josh Caddy, Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia and Shaun Grigg, all who won a Premiership after moving, are unequivocally of a higher level of intelligence than the average footballer, or is winning the Brownlow the key to intelligence?

The bloke doesn't even know the rules when he commentates.

"Ball has to just pass the post, not the padding." Wrong.
"If a player is holding the ball and their body touches the post, doesn't that count as the ball touching the post?" Wrong.

Can't provide basic commentary to a decent standard, let alone hold a commission position.

How exciting for Gerard, though?

Is Joel Bowden recent enough?

Heavily involved in the union movement before entering the NT parliament a few years back? I take this to mean he has some smarts about him. Being a parliamentarian would he even be allowed?

Anyone who thinks Dangerfield is a moron probably doesn't quite 'get' how he works. He's clearly an intelligent bloke, likes to have a laugh, well spoken, long list of leadership credentials, well-liked enough by the players (as head of the AFLPA) and has shown he can see things objectively from a player perspective (AFLPA work etc).

Don't think he'd have any 'influence' at the Commission as a player anyway, but the amount of Bonds y-fronts in a twist over the speculation is amusing. Geelong are seemingly the illuminati of the footy world.

Of course, there have been precious few suggestions of anyone better suited to a Commission role than Dangerfield, too.

Anyone who thinks Dangerfield is a moron probably doesn't quite 'get' how he works. He's clearly an intelligent bloke, likes to have a laugh, well spoken, long list of leadership credentials, well-liked enough by the players (as head of the AFLPA) and has shown he can see things objectively from a player perspective (AFLPA work etc).

Don't think he'd have any 'influence' at the Commission as a player anyway, but the amount of Bonds y-fronts in a twist over the speculation is amusing. Geelong are seemingly the illuminati of the footy world.

Of course, there have been precious few suggestions of anyone better suited to a Commission role than Dangerfield, too.
I'm surprised that you don't seem to get the problem of having an existing player on the "independent" commission, whether or not you think he will have any influence?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back