PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

LG 32GR93U, from centrecom. Will take it back in on Saturday and see what they say. Absolutely spewing though, seems to be a common fault.

In the past centrecom were decent when I had an out of warranty Phillips monitor fail, they arranged for it to be repaired as a warranty job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's not much they can say besides give you options on having it fixed/replaced.

And if they don't, surely uttering the magic words "Australian Consumer Law" will get them to come around to your way of thinking given its a $1000 device that's only 6 month old...
At worst just take it direct to a repair agent

Last few days started getting the random loss of signal on lg cx (my only display device). First started happening almost exclusively only while playing Fallout 4 but then happened when watching youtube last night. Apparently this is a pretty common issue on LGs from googling it.

First decided to do a good clean. Really wasn't that bad. Don't think it's the HDMI cables or the 3080 since they are only a couple years old but no other displays to test those on. Up to date on drivers. Don't have fast start enabled, disabled AMD Freesync premium on the TV. Turned HDR/TV Deep colour/instant game response off and back on. So far so good...but am worried one of the games could trigger it since F04 is one of the buggiest games and could be f#$^&G with it somehow..or it's from the last firmware update.

Well got a couple more lost signals while playing other games sine the last post. I also minimize randomly out of the game too, but at least I can get back in without restarting my PC.

So I turned off gsync enable settings for the display in nvidia control panel as per a reddit recommendation and haven't lost a signal or minimized yet and that was playing Battlefront 2....but it's only been a day. I do tend to think it's from a recent TV/Driver update.

I am at that point where I have nothing to buy until I have the cash and desire for the next major upgrade to AM5 platform.

Yet here I am constantly perusing tech shops looking to buy things.

giphy.gif

Let's play a game. The game is "wtf is my actual CPU temp?" The game where everything is different and the numbers don't matter.

tempwah.png

update: something in CAM's latest update showing the highest package temp. I hadn't turned my computer on in over a month due to some PS5 gaming, heaps of work and being pretty crook for a couple weeks, so I was worried my 3+ year old AIO might have started to fail. There is bound to be some fluid evaporation after a few years so feared without regular use of late an air bubble may have settled somewhere it shouldn't have. Idle temps have been a little high but after some light gaming it is starting to behave.

Last edited:
Let's play a game. The game is "wtf is my actual CPU temp?" The game where everything is different and the numbers don't matter.

View attachment 1926853

update: something in CAM's latest update showing the highest package temp. I hadn't turned my computer on in over a month due to some PS5 gaming, heaps of work and being pretty crook for a couple weeks, so I was worried my 3+ year old AIO might have started to fail. There is bound to be some fluid evaporation after a few years so feared without regular use of late an air bubble may have settled somewhere it shouldn't have. Idle temps have been a little high but after some light gaming it is starting to behave.

The answer is Ryzen master.

I've always thought the differences in readings strange considering they would be all tapping into the same sensors and APIs.

They are calculated differently though, the important one is ryzen master, as that is what is being fed into the bios AFAIK

They are calculated differently though, the important one is ryzen master, as that is what is being fed into the bios AFAIK

They're all correct but my understanding is they're used for different things. If I remember correctly Ryzen Master uses the T Die to give you a reading of the actual die. CAM and other software (I also assume it's the same API for any fan and cooling control in BIOS) uses T Control which is the die + some arbitrary offset declared by AMD engineers. The offset is something to do with the gap between the dies and the actual heat spreader to ensure there is adequate cooling.

I was initially concerned because CAM kept giving me readings in the 70s and I couldn't find the culprit in task manager. Though I think it might have been something to do with not turning my PC on in a month and it was running heaps of tiny updates and checks in the background. As I played more games it wasn't giving me readings higher than high 50s/low 60s which means according to Ryzen Master it was gaming flatout in the low 50s max which IMO is pretty impressive for a 12c/24t CPU. My cooling, including radiator fans are all set to respond to GPU temp as that's the best indicator when I'm gaming and I don't need them to react to every CPU spike when on water. Even then, despite all the bad press of the power hungry 4000 series my 4080 rarely nudges 60.

Starting the process of upgrading PC. Going to start with the motherboard since my current one is DDR3 Sabertooth z97 mk II.

Would it be ok going a DDR4 instead of DDR5? Going to spend $100-150 somewhere for lots of USB slots and HDMI, etc.

What brands are decent? Anyone have any recommendations. Will eventually get a 40-series card, i9 CPU somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DDR4 is fine, but $150 doesn't go very far on motherboards anymore unfortunately. Whether you AM4 (AMD) or Intel 1700 the budget/mid range boards are around $250 and they're not exactly flush with USB slots.
Cheers. Not bad. What sort of boards would you recommend around the $250 mark?

Cheers. Not bad. What sort of boards would you recommend around the $250 mark?

Oooh that would take some digging. You said i9 and I haven't followed Intel boards and their chipsets in a little while as they've somewhat fallen behind AMD in the consumer market. Usually the boards are reasonably like for like regardless of socket so I defaulted to the MSI B550 Tomahawk which is one of the most heavily recommended budget AMD boards. I looked at the Intel equivalent with the same name and it's not only a lot more expensive it's kind of poo.

I'll have to go digging some more but in the mean time if you wanted to look up some stuff yourself then go checkout Hardware Unboxed on YouTube and look for their motherboard roundup videos that cover every price point.

Oooh that would take some digging. You said i9 and I haven't followed Intel boards and their chipsets in a little while as they've somewhat fallen behind AMD in the consumer market. Usually the boards are reasonably like for like regardless of socket so I defaulted to the MSI B550 Tomahawk which is one of the most heavily recommended budget AMD boards. I looked at the Intel equivalent with the same name and it's not only a lot more expensive it's kind of poo.

I'll have to go digging some more but in the mean time if you wanted to look up some stuff yourself then go checkout Hardware Unboxed on YouTube and look for their motherboard roundup videos that cover every price point.
I'd really like to stick with Intel; not sure why.

Spotted this though: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/55978/gigabyte-z690m-aorus-elite-ddr4-motherboard

Seems pretty good for the price?

Have a Corsair h100i cooler so I could get that without having to replace it.

The shortlist: https://pangoly.com/en/browse/motherboard?extra=Price:165,250;Brand:GIGABYTE,MSI;Socket:AM4,LGA1700;Chipset:AMD B450,AMD B550,Intel Z690

Last edited:
I'd really like to stick with Intel; not sure why.

Spotted this though: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/55978/gigabyte-z690m-aorus-elite-ddr4-motherboard

Seems pretty good for the price?

Have a Corsair h100i cooler so I could get that without having to replace it.

The shortlist: https://pangoly.com/en/browse/motherboard?extra=Price:165,250;Brand:GIGABYTE,MSI;Socket:AM4,LGA1700;Chipset:AMD B450,AMD B550,Intel Z690

That z690 Aorus is a good buy. What sort of CPU are you looking at though? Just looking at Intel prices and they're really hard to justify when lots of AM4 CPUs are heavily discounted at the moment. The 5800x3d which is a gaming beast is nearly $200 off at $529 at the moment, or the 5900x (I have this one) is nearly half price at $499. I'd even consider the 5600x and 5700x over anything Intel has to offer at the moment which are currently on sale for $229 and $269 respectively.

For an AMD platform the 5800x3d, b550 Tomahawk and 2x8gb 3600mhz RAM would set you back about $800-850 at the moment, or around $900 if you wanted to bump the memory up to 4x8gb.

I take it you're not looking to fork for a 13900k or 14900k Intel CPU, and I think the only other Intel CPU I'd consider right now would be a 700, so a 13700k or 14700k which at the moment look like they'll set you back around $630. Then add the $200 Aorus motherboard and you're already at $830 before you consider memory and IMO an inferior build. Looks like you can score a 12700k for $429 at the moment though if you want to penny pinch and insist on sticking with Intel.

That z690 Aorus is a good buy. What sort of CPU are you looking at though? Just looking at Intel prices and they're really hard to justify when lots of AM4 CPUs are heavily discounted at the moment. The 5800x3d which is a gaming beast is nearly $200 off at $529 at the moment, or the 5900x (I have this one) is nearly half price at $499. I'd even consider the 5600x and 5700x over anything Intel has to offer at the moment which are currently on sale for $229 and $269 respectively.

For an AMD platform the 5800x3d, b550 Tomahawk and 2x8gb 3600mhz RAM would set you back about $800-850 at the moment, or around $900 if you wanted to bump the memory up to 4x8gb.

I take it you're not looking to fork for a 13900k or 14900k Intel CPU, and I think the only other Intel CPU I'd consider right now would be a 700, so a 13700k or 14700k which at the moment look like they'll set you back around $630. Then add the $200 Aorus motherboard and you're already at $830 before you consider memory and IMO an inferior build. Looks like you can score a 12700k for $429 at the moment though if you want to penny pinch and insist on sticking with Intel.
Very much appreciate the reply!

Just interested to know what makes the 5800x3d better than a 12700k for example. The former is $100 more expensive, but looking on a benchmark site here shows the Intel edges it. Although, the Intel sucks way more juice...

Very much appreciate the reply!

Just interested to know what makes the 5800x3d better than a 12700k for example. The former is $100 more expensive, but looking on a benchmark site here shows the Intel edges it. Although, the Intel sucks way more juice...

The 5800x3d is specifically aimed at gaming, has a massive L3 cache and is able to carry poorly optimised games that are CPU bottlenecked. Even my 5900x faced a bottleneck in Jedi Survivor and at times in Starfield despite also having a 4080. Meanwhile it was only CPUs with a larger L3 like the 5800x3d, 7800x3d and the 13900k that didn't suffer. Userbenchmark isn't a very good resource, but you'll see here in real world benchmarks that the 5800x3d is most of the time only bested by 13900k. Productivity tests will generally favour anything with a higher core count or clock speed but for gaming when they limit the testing resolutions to 1080p to remove the GPU as a factor you'll see the 5800x3d regularly at the top. I've actually seriously considering "downgrading" my 5900x to a 5800x3d a few times. It's only my dabbling in UE5, Blender and some light programming that I have decided to stick with the 5900x.

Oh goody, turns out this shiny 5800x3D has been running in a motherboard with a BIOS that doesn't support it, so it never boosted the clock speed
:mad:

All I need now is a bat to fry the power again while I'm updating and brick my PC........

The 5800x3d is specifically aimed at gaming, has a massive L3 cache and is able to carry poorly optimised games that are CPU bottlenecked. Even my 5900x faced a bottleneck in Jedi Survivor and at times in Starfield despite also having a 4080. Meanwhile it was only CPUs with a larger L3 like the 5800x3d, 7800x3d and the 13900k that didn't suffer. Userbenchmark isn't a very good resource, but you'll see here in real world benchmarks that the 5800x3d is most of the time only bested by 13900k. Productivity tests will generally favour anything with a higher core count or clock speed but for gaming when they limit the testing resolutions to 1080p to remove the GPU as a factor you'll see the 5800x3d regularly at the top. I've actually seriously considering "downgrading" my 5900x to a 5800x3d a few times. It's only my dabbling in UE5, Blender and some light programming that I have decided to stick with the 5900x.

Watched the vids. 5800x3d is on the shopping list!

How does that work? I thought motherboards that didn't support a CPU just didn't recognise them at all and therefore didn't POST
Probably depends on how severe the architecture changes are, in this case the AMD 5000 series was released in 2020 but the 5800x3D came out in 2022. My BIOS was from mid 2021 so technically supported the 5000 series, full 5800x3D support was released march 2022. So it was probably compatible enough that the CPU could function since it's still a 5000 series, it just wouldn't have a clue about any additional functionality like boosting for that specific model.

I am considering a new machine soon.

The current one is work, personal, gaming. I have an inkling that I should separate gaming out onto its own machine. If not a separate one for each task.

Give me your recs, bros! What should his Chiefness get!?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back