TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
So i don't think we have had this thread before.

Recently I've decided I'm going to build my first gaming PC.
I've always been mainly a console guy and that won't change.

However with abundance of sales on steam, the windows 10 cross play feature, numerous titles i can't get on my other systems.

I decided to delve in so i am buying the parts gradually over time.
Will only be a budget gaming PC but will be great for 1080p gaming.

Specs/parts

Intel Pentium G4560 3.5Ghz Dual Core Processor
ASUS PRIME B250M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
8Gb (2x 4Gb) DDR4-2133 Memory
120Gb Solid State Drive
1TB Internal Hard Drive
Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4gb Mini Video Card
Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 3 Case
Corsair VS 450W ATX Power Supply
DVD/CD Writer

-----

So has anyone else done this and how was the experience?

However with abundance of sales on steam, the windows 10 cross play feature, numerous titles i can't get on my other systems.

Specs/parts

120Gb Solid State Drive
1TB Internal Hard Drive
DVD/CD Writer

-----

I've built a couple of gaming PCs in the last 4 years after largely ignoring PC gaming for a long time.

First one, my mate helped. Second one I did entirely myself. No problems. A looooot easier than I expected. Piece of piss really.

I'm no expert, but if you have any questions, feel free.

Last edited:

Specs/parts

120Gb Solid State Drive
1TB Internal Hard Drive
DVD/CD Writer

-----

Have to admit I'm impressed with the performance per dollar...

Just 2 things..

I'd avoid a motherboard with only 2 RAM slots. To add RAM down the track once your 2 slots are populated, you either need to replace your existing RAM or replace the motherboard and add additional RAM. Either way you end up with redundant hardware...

120gb SSD is tiny. Windows 10 will chew up half, allowing only and handful, maybe even only 1 game, to be installed....
Of course this is irrelevant if you don't mind longer load times with games being installed on your mechanical HDD.

What's your actual budget?

I've recently built 2 AMD Ryzen computers and bang for buck would recommend going down that path.

Price if you don't mind me asking?

Price if you don't mind me asking?
Both served different purposes. One high end rendering/gaming came out at about $1700 without any peripherals(Ryzen 7). The other was mainly for just general PC stuff and was about $1000 without any peripherals (Ryzen 5)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to admit I'm impressed with the performance per dollar...

Just 2 things..

I'd avoid a motherboard with only 2 RAM slots. To add RAM down the track once your 2 slots are populated, you either need to replace your existing RAM or replace the motherboard and add additional RAM. Either way you end up with redundant hardware...

120gb SSD is tiny. Windows 10 will chew up half, allowing only and handful, maybe even only 1 game, to be installed....
Of course this is irrelevant if you don't mind longer load times with games being installed on your mechanical HDD.

Wow great videos.
Some good performance there.

Thanks for the feedback
Only bought the case so far.

Was probably going to put Windows on the SSD but will do more research.

I've built a couple of gaming PCs in the last 4 years after largely ignoring PC gaming for a long time.

First one, my mate helped. Second one I did entirely myself. No problems. A looooot easier than I expected. Piece of piss really.

I'm no expert, but if you have any questions, feel free.

Good to hear.

Bit nervous about the build process itself
However i hear it's really not that hard and like doing lego :)
Been watching a bunch of youtube tutorials.

I don't mind spending the small fee to get Scorptec to build my systems (only when I do a fresh build). Not only do they do a sexy job but I don't have to worry about DOA parts and the 12 months build warranty is handy. Last time my HDD died after about 10 months, I just took it back to their service department and had no hassle replacing it.

Those new Ryzens look awesome. I haven't had an AMD since my Athlon 2800 lol. I reckon I will look at a 1440/144 build next year. Currently rocking a gtx 980, i5 4690 and a poor man's SSD set up (64gb SSD to accelerate the HDD which had better results than I thought it would) which is more than handy for most stuff. Been playing my PC a bit more lately, probably not as comfy as when I can kick back in the recliner on the PS4 but it's fun to drive the Ferrari so to speak and remember why I used to be primarily a PC gamer.

Scoptec built my last pc (a little too well in one instance, had to resort to trickery to get the screws out of the dvd drive bay :D). But when I eventually decide to start fresh I'll be getting them to build it again!

I'm an electrician and rate my looming but theirs is second to none with the sleeving and stuff they do complimentary. They've really picked up their meme game on their FB page too :D

I'm going to have to go there this weekend actually to get a 16b RAM kit, finally time to upgrade from my 8gb. I went into BCC tonight in my local shopping centre but they didn't have any DDR3 kits unfortunately.

Anyone have a recommendation on a gaming laptop, ours is starting to struggle? The Mrs will need to use it for work/photos of the kids, but ideally if I could game on it as well, that would be swell.
Do you actually need the portability of a laptop on a regular basis?

Nah not portability... Just space in the house really. At this point, 3 bedroom house one living area, two kids.

Edit: The Mrs does take the laptop to markets/etc. But she could deal without one, or just use this one.
Ok. You can build a desktop quite small these days. That will give you something much better with the bonus of being able to expand or upgrade individual components instead of replacing the entire unit.

Have a look at the dimensions of mATX or ITX to see just how small you can go.

I was meant to upgrade my RAM this weekend as PUBG is absolutely hogging my poor 8gb but didn't get around to it, so instead I'm going to go next week and grab an SSD while I'm at it. So two things:

1. I don't keep many games on my computer at any one time, Diablo 3 and now PUBG are staples, WoW comes and goes and there is generally one or two other things. I plan on keeping my 1TB HDD for storage so would I be better off just getting a 250gb for the OS, these few games and then putting everything else on the HDD, or would that be pushing it and I should just cough up the extra $100 for the 500gb? I've currently got a 64gb SSD in here too that I use to accelerate the HDD that I might just keep for My Documents or something lol.

2. I only did a clean Windows 10 install about 3 weeks ago and even though I chucked all my required drivers on a USB for ease I really would prefer not to have to do it all again. So how reliable would just cloning the HDD to the SSD be? Current used space is only 68gb so that's not an issue, probably a nub question but I have no idea if any problems could arise from this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back