Player Watch Pendlebury............. what does footy lose when Pendles retires?

Remove this Banner Ad

Some pretty harsh comments here so far.
Pendlebury has been an a star for Collingwood and definitely enjoyable to watch over the years.
Where does he sit when measured against the other star mids of his era? For mine he certainly sits below all time greats in Ablett & Judd and marginally behind Martin, Fyfe & Dangerfield who make up the elite group of his era (I could argue the all time great status of Martin in another thread). I can see how others would have him in that group though.

Hmm - I seem to remember him winning a Norm Smith Medal.

....which was a decade ago. ;)

In recent years Pendles worst games often coincide with big games. That's what I will remember him for when he first retires.

Averages more clearances, more tackles, same number of contested possessions and a whopping 2 less disposals per match playing finals.

sh*t post mate.

Completely ignoring the fact that I said ... "In recent years"

During the past 5 years Pendlebury hasn't had a quality individual game in any final that Collingwood has lost. Two games I distinctly remember was the 2019 PF & the 2018 Grand Final.

When a player first retires they are often remembered for the final few years of their career and it's obvious that Pendles hasn't been as good of a player in the past 5 years as he was earlier in his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeh. Makes you wonder how they made all those grand finals with such underwhelming players. Think they are 2nd or 3rd on all time list of flags won?
Not underwhelming, just not as high in individual greatness as members of other clubs in most people’s minds.....For eg my club has Polly Farmer, Gary Ablett Snr & Jnr....All 3 players universally recognised as a few of the best ever....Same with Essendon in players of the ilk of Coleman & Reynolds.....Rightly or wrongly it was seen as a reason why Collingwood didn’t get an entrant in the Team of the Century.

Probably a thread that's a little premature, given he's been in career form the past 2 to 3 years and looks likely to continue.

I'm sure there'll be calls of bias from this thread, fact is he is a one off player.

There has been no other player that gives the optic of slowing down time around him, and there may never be another that can do it quite like him. I hope there is!

He predicts where and when the ball will be, probably better than anyone else in the game past or present. He also predicts where and when his opposition will be in close quarters, this gives the look of 'time slowing down'.

Let's be blunt, he's not exactly blessed with leg speed but because he can create such time and space for himself leg speed is not required. He then puts his usual accurate disposal to work.

He also accumulates a lot of leather, regularly 20+ possessions a game, in fact I can't the last time he subbed 20 disposals.

When the day comes that he hangs up the boots it's not likely see another player slow down time like he can anytime soon, if it all.

It's been very entertaining watching him consistently perform his magic trick, gonna miss it.
Definitely a unique player- he is the guy that you find yourself yelling at the telly 'why doesn't someone just tackle this guy' instead of corralling him.

But how do you see his defensive game?

For me the likes of Sidebottom is the classic case of a player who always gets the ball in space, but I believe it's because he is not accountable at all defensively.

Pendles I'm not sure if he does make time stand still, or just plays a bit loose and thus has time. I think he is way more defensively responsible than sidey though, I'm not putting him in the same boat.

Definitely a unique player- he is the guy that you find yourself yelling at the telly 'why doesn't someone just tackle this guy' instead of corralling him.

But how do you see his defensive game?

For me the likes of Sidebottom is the classic case of a player who always gets the ball in space, but I believe it's because he is not accountable at all defensively.

Pendles I'm not sure if he does make time stand still, or just plays a bit loose and thus has time. I think he is way more defensively responsible than sidey though, I'm not putting him in the same boat.

Interesting summation, my view of him as a player is that he is unique in as you say 'just tackle him'. Seems he has time and space where there is none because he seems to predict what his opponents will do next and therefore somehow evades and transitions off to a team mate out of traffic.

He also seems to predict where and when the ball is going to be, seemingly better than other players hence he gathers ball in heavy traffic but it looks like he has the space of 10m around him. The mind boggles.

His defensive game? That's not what the thread is about, his defensive game is team defence mantra. He doesn't have the leg speed of our quarterbacks, he marshalls troops in position whether we have ball or not. He's not a contested beast like a Cunnington or Adams or Josh Kennedy (they come to mind) but he's a good contested player with unique attributes.

Pies board thread but I’ll entertain since it’s here. Great player and I agree with the OP about his uncanny ability to create time and space around him. His name does carry a certain mystique which makes him a tad overrated. Great kick however don’t think he’s ever actually broken a line or won a game off his own boot.

Will retire a club champ and rightfully so. Streets away from being in the Fyfe/Dusty/Ablett/Judd type convo.

Interesting summation, my view of him as a player is that he is unique in as you say 'just tackle him'. Seems he has time and space where there is none because he seems to predict what his opponents will do next and therefore somehow evades and transitions off to a team mate out of traffic.

He also seems to predict where and when the ball is going to be, seemingly better than other players hence he gathers ball in heavy traffic but it looks like he has the space of 10m around him. The mind boggles.

His defensive game? That's not what the thread is about, his defensive game is team defence mantra. He doesn't have the leg speed of our quarterbacks, he marshalls troops in position whether we have ball or not. He's not a contested beast like a Cunnington or Adams or Josh Kennedy (they come to mind) but he's a good contested player with unique attributes.

I think his athleticism is underappreciated; he's bigger than you think he is at ~ 6'3" and 90kg + with very good lateral movement. He doesn't have the brute force of a Dangerfield, Fyfe or Martin, but his ability to move laterally through congestion makes it difficult for players to really predict what he's going to do. He also has better disposal than Dangerfield & Fyfe, and is more reliable than Martin.

He'll finish his career Top-10 All-Time in Brownlow Votes, which shows just how consistent he's been. Rarely plays a bad game, rarely been injured, rarely makes bad choices. He's a Collingwood Champion no doubt, hasn't quite had the dominant peaks of some other Midfielders, but has done it for an exceptional period of time.

Probably a thread that's a little premature, given he's been in career form the past 2 to 3 years and looks likely to continue.

I'm sure there'll be calls of bias from this thread, fact is he is a one off player.

There has been no other player that gives the optic of slowing down time around him, and there may never be another that can do it quite like him. I hope there is!

He predicts where and when the ball will be, probably better than anyone else in the game past or present. He also predicts where and when his opposition will be in close quarters, this gives the look of 'time slowing down'.

Let's be blunt, he's not exactly blessed with leg speed but because he can create such time and space for himself leg speed is not required. He then puts his usual accurate disposal to work.

He also accumulates a lot of leather, regularly 20+ possessions a game, in fact I can't the last time he subbed 20 disposals.

When the day comes that he hangs up the boots it's not likely see another player slow down time like he can anytime soon, if it all.

It's been very entertaining watching him consistently perform his magic trick, gonna miss it.

McCluggage has the bullet-time ability as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back