People of BigFooty - Just how terrible at sports were you?

Remove this Banner Ad

My biggest issue was fitness. I can shoot a basketball from anywhere, I can kick a footy pretty good on both feet, I can bowl a nice spin ball. I just can't run.
I was/am the opposite. I could (and can) Run/Swim, but so uncoordinated (and being short doesn't help either) . I'm ok at batting and keeping but I still kick (footy) /throw/field terribly despite years of amateur practice :/

My temperament as result of being the black sheep effected my sport. I was a natural at a lot of sports, could pick up quickly, but never really found one I would get addicted to and thus succeed. I needed to be challenged. Got bored. if I found a coach who knew what they were dealing with, i would of probably made it professionally in something. Spiritual thing. The best example of someone like that who succeeded is Tony Modra.

In primary school I filled in for under fifteen soccer teams and dominated my position. Then went back to my own grade and played temperamentally. Sometimes I would kill them, other times a brat. When I moved to the country, I played for the local tennis club and dominated the grade. First time i ever picked up a raquet.

Having to compete and socialize with all you mere mortals is at times frustrating. I can see why Jesus hasn't come back.

Love sport but pretty much hopeless at everything. Passable at tennis and golf. I played tennis from a young age and had coaching so by sheer dent of exposure to it I became proficient enough to play a decent social game. Competitively about grade Z. Only team game I really played was netball. I always got a game because I was reliable enough to turn up every week but lucky to get my hands on the ball, very tentative. Played wing defence so that tells you all you need to know. Can't run either, slow as a wet week. We have some good sports genes in our family (mainly golf ones) but I didn't get any of them :(

I was always either really good or really bad at each sport.

Was in the intereschool firsts for footy till I got too old cos I'm a girl. Teacher then suggested I try out for the volleyball team, having never played it before, and got straight into the firsts there too.
State netballer, and a semi-pro dancer including cheerleader for a NBL team.

On the otherhand, I was asked not to participate in cricket & softball because I was that bad. Even if our class was assigned to play one of those sports for the day, I'd be the only one sitting out.

Love sport but pretty much hopeless at everything. Passable at tennis and golf. I played tennis from a young age and had coaching so by sheer dent of exposure to it I became proficient enough to play a decent social game. Competitively about grade Z. Only team game I really played was netball. I always got a game because I was reliable enough to turn up every week but lucky to get my hands on the ball, very tentative. Played wing defence so that tells you all you need to know. Can't run either, slow as a wet week. We have some good sports genes in our family (mainly golf ones) but I didn't get any of them :(

I loved netball. WA all the way. Sucked at every other position in netball for various reasons.

I would love to play tennis competitively.

Unfortunately I can't serve for s**t. (It's actually really embarrassing- when I play socially I try and avoid it). Actual ground strokes are okay tho. Running is another thing- I doubt I could last a whole match, even best of 3. Even with the "stop/start" nature of it, I'd just run out of puff. I remember having a hit in 30 degree heat and feeling like I was going to pass out just from that. How actual players play in 35++ heat, I just cannot fathom..

Other sports like: netball, swimming, little aths/sprinting I was okay at.

Funnily enough I had quite a good serve but didn't play for a few years and when I went back to it stuffed my shoulder trying to serve too hard so now have to take most of the pace of it or I am in agony for weeks (not that I play much anymore). Had a decent forehand as well but that was about it. Useless at the net, reflexes way too slow. No good in the heat either. Love playing in winter though :thumbsu:

Funnily enough I had quite a good serve but didn't play for a few years and when I went back to it stuffed my shoulder trying to serve too hard so now have to take most of the pace of it or I am in agony for weeks (not that I play much anymore). Had a decent forehand as well but that was about it. Useless at the net, reflexes way too slow. No good in the heat either. Love playing in winter though :thumbsu:

My friend at work was great at tennis- played competition like A grade i think out near Highpoint. Did his knee, he is in pain and will never play tennis again. Feel so sorry for the guy, it sucks.

Even though I am crap at most sports I don't look too bad when I'm actually playing. A guy I worked with was so bad watching him was like watching a Benny Hill movie. We used to play games at our end of year break up, things like volleyball, and this guy was so hilariously bad that the rest of us would be rolling around laughing just watching his attempts to play, unbelievably uncoordinated :D :p

I was good at football :D, got moved around a bit - who doesn't want to kick goals all of the time ? Was put as an on baller for a while, but found my niche when I was moved to the half back and full back lines :D. Loved the responsibility of being on the last line of defence (either back pocket or being the general at full back). I had a good vertical leap so I was smothering a lot of kicks when on the mark :D, but I really loved to tackle and was good at wrapping people up (which is amusing as I was never the fastest runner but being able to catch and then tackle was my thing). Could only really kick a long distance with my right foot, left foot wouldn't even go half a meter :D :p.

I was also one that would take the boot off and kick the ball as hard and as far as I could (sock was optional, but usually took it off as well!).

Excellent at tennis, and most of it was self taught. When I showed what I could do to a wider audience they were astonished I was that good without formal training (all I really did was imitate those on tv AND also practice hitting a ball against a large brick wall). Lefty, but would do some 'trick' shots where I would switch hands and belt a forehand with my right hand instead of a backhand with my left.

Basketball, not the tallest.... but could still compete. Amusingly I was pretty crap inside the 3point line and wouldn't even anil the free throws. Yet get me outside the 3 point line and I would nail 90% of my shot attempts, heck I used to shoot from the half court line and nail those too.

Sports I sucked at:

Soccer, just didn't compute. I was good at headbutting the ball though, really sucked as the goalie!

Baseball -hand/eye cooridination was not good enough for it - couldn't connect with the bat on ball when batting. Not very good at throwing from a long distance, yet I could catch balls standing, diving etc.

Cricket - I started off being good at it, then my talent just went out the window. I was a fast bowler....... that would only bowl yorkers lol. When Shane Warne became all the rage, I attempted to be a left arm leg spinner with little success. Was useless while fielding too due to a poor throwing arm. Batting, I was ok at depending on who was bowling to me. But usually they would be defensive shots and not boundary hitting.

Cricket - I started off being good at it, then my talent just went out the window. I was a fast bowler....... that would only bowl yorkers lol. When Shane Warne became all the rage, I attempted to be a left arm leg spinner with little success. Was useless while fielding too due to a poor throwing arm. Batting, I was ok at depending on who was bowling to me. But usually they would be defensive shots and not boundary hitting.

Whenever I see fast bowlers, I just see pain. I know not in the "full contact" sport kind of way but in the overuse kind of way. Do professional cricketers have like major long term injury problems... just can't be good imo doing that action again and again and again.

I never played baseball (or softball) but I was a mean rounders player. :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was a good little runner in my time and a good gymnast. Was the best on the bars in the whole school. A fair netballer. Average at soft ball. Crap at tennis.

Whenever I see fast bowlers, I just see pain. I know not in the "full contact" sport kind of way but in the overuse kind of way. Do professional cricketers have like major long term injury problems... just can't be good imo doing that action again and again and again.

I never played baseball (or softball) but I was a mean rounders player. :cool:
The elite end of the Australian fast bowling scene has been wracked by constant minor injuries in recent years. (True in other countries as well, not sure if it is to the same extent.) There used to be less injuries, but more really bad ones. Part of that comes down to old school players playing through the pain, whereas now the thing is to manage them. Other causes are debated a lot.

Fast bowling is one of those things where if the rhythm is right, the injuries won't come; but go off a little bit and any slight technical issue which causes a strain can show up badly.

First time I played cricket at about 9 years old went in to bat and the first ball hit me on the thumb and I ran home cying. Never got into it after that. My footy career consisted of one senior game and zero possies when they were loading the ressies to get into the finals. Played forward pocket and still recall the contrmptuous look back by my opponent as he left me there and trotted off to get a kick. Was given the flick by two clubs but third time lucky - left the last one because we moved. Probably timely, as my highlight with them was taking a mark in the goal square and missing.

I played very low level competition tennis for a little while - one of the low lights was when I went to smash a lob and missed and the ball fell on my head.

Last edited:
Not very good at ball sports, though I did play cricket and footy.

Was good at athletics, especially middle distance (800 and 1500). Wasn't bad at swimming either.

not bad at cricket. Can keep, bowl leg/off/medium darts, open the batting just can't score as i have a terrible eye but good defence.

Footy wasn't my thing because i shirked the hard stuff. chased kicks but would never find the ball.

can play the rest, just average

Basketball/soccer. My skills were alright, I was always reasonably fit and strong. But I was not a cool head under pressure and would often crumble/make panic decisions when confronted with defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back