Pick 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, of course you are right. But O'Reilly got moved to defence after doing well as a forward didn't he? And Fremantle has had plenty of opportunity to control the output of Carter after he was moved to Peel. In that situation they can control his development to an extent while monitoring his exposure. Every signal is that we will take him despite his very limited season, and ahead of Medhat, who looks to have had the better year.

Check back over threads on here and many posters were seeing Hill in the top 5 and Carter needing us to find a first round pick from somewhere. O'Reilly was talked about as someone we should wage war with the AFL to secure as a F/S selection (despite pretty flimsy rationale for doing that), yet now is not included by many as an option for our last pick.

I'm hanging onto my conspiracy theory, and expect those ducks to fall in line. Can I chuck in Stack as well even though he is not aligned?

The move of O'Reilly to defence would be more likely a tactic to show his versatility and therefore improving his draft chances than anything else. Oscar Allen was asked to do the exact same thing last year and I suspect the 1 game that Logue played in the midfield would've been for the same reason.

Recruiters want to see versatility these days. The old fashioned FF is no more.

Last edited:
Word on the street is that O'Reilly is talented, but lacks work ethic.

Will be interesting to see if/when he's selected.
That is a fair comment. He's often gotten by on his talent and size in junior footy but has benefited from the state 18's program having only played 17's last year.

I think you will see a big improvement once in a professional environment. I've never seen him but I have been told brother Finn is the more talented of the two.

Yeah, what I thought. Bummer. :thumbsdown:
I struggled with working this out but I think...
Blakley, Quaynor, Briggs, McFayden, Thomas, Scott and Kelly being picked by our second round pick will push us back to 38. But this will cost Sydney, Brisbane and GWS picks before ours and therefore move us forward to 35.
However thats 7 players that we were never really able to access anyway, so we are now getting pick 28 of those players that everyone has access to. I like to think this is a win for us

I struggled with working this out but I think...
Blakley, Quaynor, Briggs, McFayden, Thomas, Scott and Kelly being picked by our second round pick will push us back to 38. But this will cost Sydney, Brisbane and GWS picks before ours and therefore move us forward to 35.
However thats 7 players that we were never really able to access anyway, so we are now getting pick 28 of those players that everyone has access to. I like to think this is a win for us
Yes, the worse option for us is that those players are not bid on, and their clubs get to use their existing picks on players who are potentially available to us instead. We may be picking earlier but with fewer options.

WC are believed to be trying to upgrade to get Hill.
Not sure if we’re going to pick Hill but strong word is if we don’t the pick immediately following us (Port Adelaide - currently 15) very likely will.

Therefore WC would need to trade for a pick 11-13. What currency do they have to achieve this? 20, 22, 2019 1st round (likely >pick 16). Given no one in the trade period would accept a trade of 20/22 for a higher pick to make the Tim Kelly trade happen and nor would they trade 20/22/2019 1st for Kelly this is fantasy stuff and zero chance of happening.

WC’s best bet is to hang onto pick 20 which will be the first pick on day 2 and an enticing pick for clubs to trade 20 (likely to be around 25) for say two second round picks so they would have say 27 (currently 22), 31, 36 instead of 25, 28.

West Coast just got 26 for a future round 3 pick !!!! What were Sydney thinking? That's great for West Coast
Sydney wanted to protect their second rounder from the Nick Blakey academy compensation. They used their later picks to pay the points, then traded back in afterwards. Rorting the system, but within the rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with this pick, genuine excitement.
I'm warming to this pick, we do need a good medium forward. We've been playing randoms in that role since Mayne left, and although I was hoping to pick Bobby Hill I guess from a list perspective we have Walters, Switkowski, Ballas (for now), Matera, and possibly Giro/Crowden who could all play as small forwards.

The WC getting a near freebie in that early second round means they can potentially hoover up more of the local talent.

Walls seems to love those draft bolters. Another Vanilla Vic?

Hill seemed to offer so much, had such a high potential for what they'd get him for. Bradley repeating?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back