Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Remembering he is a developing player Lever has many similar attributes. Fantastic on intercept and reading the play but also excellent 1v1 and good on tackle and harrass. Steps around players easy and runs really well for someone his size, agile. Doull apart from playing for Carlton was just playing royalty. Think of Clement as very much a poor mans Doull.

Don't get me wrong Lever is a good youngster but I am against this 2 first rounders talk as I don't think he is THAT good.

I also have yet to see his good 1v1 skills vs an opponent who wasn't either much shorter or Lever coming in from the side. He is very good at timing when to leave his "less" dangerous opponent and getting over to spoil somewhat Nick Maxwell like.
The same knock was levelled at Maxwell in that when he was given actually dangerous opponents they often slaughtered him, from what I have seen of Lever he is the same excellent when playing his preferred style but lost as an actual defender when made to defend a genuine threat.

Disagree GC
Pork barrelling for the best free agents doesn't create culture.
Compare Gold Coast with GWS.
Gold Coast went for Ablett. GWS Ward.
Ward has leadership qualities.
Ablett a Brownlow medalist.
The GWS model wins.

Besides with the money we pay on established Stars like Lever, we could fit 5 rookies and with Lever potential.(providing Hine doesn't up the draft.)
The only issue with your logic is Hawthorn have been topping it up for a while, Lake, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Hale and others.

Clubs bring people in, it's how you do etc

Then again you could go Burgoyne to Hawthorn, Buddy to Swannies, Hall to Swans, Lockett to Swans, Danger to Geelong, Beams to Brissie, Shaw to GWS, Treloar to Collingwood, Boyd to Doggies etc etc

Lever looks a great kid with a great attitude. Fills a hole in the team. Would be a great fit. Add 5 rookies instead means delisting 4 others and you would be long odds that any of them would get near Lever. If you want to compare Lever to getting 5 draftees instead you have to also add in the 4 others you lose out the other end in addition.

That's debatable. Definitely not as definitive as that statement makes it out to be with his ability to play any role other than intercept defender TBD.

Don't get me wrong Lever is a good youngster but I am against this 2 first rounders talk as I don't think he is THAT good.

I also have yet to see his good 1v1 skills vs an opponent who wasn't either much shorter or Lever coming in from the side. He is very good at timing when to leave his "less" dangerous opponent and getting over to spoil somewhat Nick Maxwell like.
The same knock was levelled at Maxwell in that when he was given actually dangerous opponents they often slaughtered him, from what I have seen of Lever he is the same excellent when playing his preferred style but lost as an actual defender when made to defend a genuine threat.

How many times in history has anyone ever been worth 2 first rounders?

How many times in history has anyone ever been worth 2 first rounders?

Outside Treloar trade? that our club was involved in?

You realise that this is what people are suggesting is the price point? or a 1st and a 2018 2nd. Again overs and not what I would want the club to pay.

I would say there are marquee players who you wouldn't bat an eye lid at spending 2 firsts on in their prime, like a Franklin or Ablett jnr at 25 or Dangerfield at 25, Martin at 25... Genuine match winners.

The only issue with your logic is Hawthorn have been topping it up for a while, Lake, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Hale and others.

Clubs bring people in, it's how you do etc
Hawthorn are exceptions to the rule
However you will find in the beginning it was excessive successful drafting that developed the team
The free agency and the topping up came later

Last edited:

Agree wouldn't be doing 2 1st rounders for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree GC
Pork barrelling for the best free agents doesn't create culture.
Compare Gold Coast with GWS.
Gold Coast went for Ablett. GWS Ward.
Ward has leadership qualities.
Ablett a Brownlow medalist.
The GWS model wins.

To be fair GWS's deck was much more heavily stacked than Gold Coast's was - GWS also had purpose built training facilities gifted to them by the AFL whereas the Suns facilities were basically a tin shed.

I'm not denying that Ablett had some issues when it comes to leadership, but you can't fault the effort he put in at the club - when you get spuds in like Campbell Brown to help prop up the leadership group is it any wonder things went **** up on the Gold Coast?

I'd be keeping pick 6 and trying to nab a key position swingman.

In terms of free agency/trades we ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY need to get ourselves a small defender or two. I mean a good quality, genuine small defender like Nick Smith.

In terms of free agency/trades we ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY need to get ourselves a small defender or two. I mean a good quality, genuine small defender like Nick Smith.

Certainly be handy but I am hopeful Trav Varcoe can play that role and they have clearly been looking at Crisp as well there. With Maynard maybe able to push up and JDG as well I think it allows those two to go behind the ball. I'd then be keen to go to the draft and maybe aim up at Ben Paton who we have looked at in the VFL. Great speed and beaut user.

I know Harbrow been thrown up but I am for getting in 18-25yo's. Harbrow is going to be 30 and given we have Varcoe lets just use him.

Outside Treloar trade? that our club was involved in?

You realise that this is what people are suggesting is the price point? or a 1st and a 2018 2nd. Again overs and not what I would want the club to pay.

I would say there are marquee players who you wouldn't bat an eye lid at spending 2 firsts on in their prime, like a Franklin or Ablett jnr at 25 or Dangerfield at 25, Martin at 25... Genuine match winners.

I think alot of people don't realise the trade was not 2 first rounders for treloar. It was 2 first rounders for treloar and a 2nd rounder(sier) Fairly big difference in my opinion. I think people tend to overate draft picks a big. Even a top 5 pick does not give you a guaranteed gun. In Treloar we got a guaranteed gun who already had a few years of development in him. He also filled a need in that he his the only inside/outside mid we have who bursts away from packs and breaks lines. If Sier does come on then we win this trade. If he doesn't then we still have a very good player who still has another 150 games in him baring injury.

Go to the draft with pick 6, build from from the draft. If lever wants to go to us,
it will in the end cost us more than pick6 and to much money. We need a key forward and a key back to go with hopefully mcclarty, lever at the moment is neither

Was thinking about Nick Smith the other day. He's the exact type we need. One of our needs anyway.

So we give pick 6 and pick 36 (around about) for pick 4 or 3? What club is going to ream themselves doing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More likely 6 and 36 for the Bears 14 and 18. I think they come out in front by a couple of hundred points. Would likely give them 2x top 10 picks and the capacity to match a bid for Ballenden who is unlikely to attract a bid before pick 6 if you believe the phantoms.

From what I have read it's down to 1 club and that's Melbourne.
Maybe he likes his September holidays

(Whoops that's us too..... ;) )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back