Player Watch Pick #7 (2012) - Ollie Wines

Remove this Banner Ad

2 picks later..

Move over Oliver Wines:

Welcome: Nick Vlastuin, Epic Head

349302-nick-vlastuin.jpg

Imagine giving birth to that head!

Wow, poor mum

He reminds me a bit of dusty Martin ...the way he moves and plays..but if dusty was clean cut instead of bogan
Hes a bit like Martin the way he gets the ball and rams through a pack of players with his head but thats about where it ends.

He is not a high hurt factor guy with the ball but his real strength is that he can run out a game well and pick up a lot of touches late on which is something our guys struggle with.

Wins contested ball + has balance and composure. Another big mid too. 188cm and 90 kg (Heavier than all our mids but probably carrying some puppy fat)

I am very happy with how we have rebuilt our midfield. I couldn't see it last year but it all started coming together a few rounds into the 2012 season with Ebert home, Broadbent and Moore moving into the middle and Wingard being drafted in.

Travis Boak - 24yo, 183cms, 83kgs
Brad Ebert - 22yo, 189cm, 88kgs
Hamish Hartlett - 22yo, 185cm, 83kgs
Matthew Broadbent - 22 yo, 189cm, 88kgs
Andrew Moore - 21yo, 189cm, 88kgs
Chad Wingard - 19yo, 182cm, 77kgs
Ollie Wines - 18yo, 188cm, 90kgs

boy oh boy wowee.

Lets hope he is not the 2nd coming of Adam Thomson......eek!

I guess the difference between them is that Thomson was a big reach, was thought of as a late 2nd round pick whereas Wines has been rated up the top for 18 months.

Thommo was no where near as big. This dude is a tank! Not as much as Stringer but pretty big.
he is Brad Ebert sized... But better skilled. Nice.

Ollie, Ollie, Ollie
Oi Oi Oi

Sorry. Had to be done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the difference between them is that Thomson was a big reach, was thought of as a late 2nd round pick whereas Wines has been rated up the top for 18 months.

Could there be a bit of a Rich comparison with him? Leg speed a query allowing him to slide? But did Ollie slide (By my definition is due to a flaw in his style of play) or did he drop because of unexpected selections?

Could there be a bit of a Rich comparison with him? Leg speed a query allowing him to slide? But did Ollie slide (By my definition is due to a flaw in his style of play) or did he drop because of unexpected selections?
Yeah a good comparison with Rich, except that Ollie has normal sized arms.

Wines was dislodged by Toumpas being bumped from the top 3. The Doggies loved Stringer and needed an outside mid (Macrae) to complement their group. Hey presto, pick 7.

Don't think wines is much like rich.
Rich gets less ball but probably has better disposal.

I see wines as a Joel selwood.

This is the comparison for me, too.

Just on the hurt factor, it seems to me that Wines at least gets on the scoreboard. Immediately, that's higher hurt factor than most of our mids (besides Brad and Broady) offer, especially Kane and Dom.;)

Wines was dislodged by Toumpas being bumped from the top 3. The Doggies loved Stringer and needed an outside mid (Macrae) to complement their group. Hey presto, pick 7.

Yeah it was largely due to needs- GWS and the Dogs are overstocked with inside mids and needed some outside talent (O'Rourke, Macrae) while Melbourne simply couldn't pass up on Toumpas.

Plowman I am still mystified about, but I guess picking up Hombsch had more upsides than we think ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back