Pink Cricket ball farce

Remove this Banner Ad

possibly, but that doesn't mean that it's worth playing now
I'd saying looking at test cricket around the world doing this now is almost priority No 1.

ICC needs to get serious about getting the ball right. If there's enough cash in it the inventors will find a way.

I'd saying looking at test cricket around the world doing this now is almost priority No 1.

ICC needs to get serious about getting the ball right. If there's enough cash in it the inventors will find a way.

Okay. They can do that without playing Test cricket with a ball that does not work.

No they can't?

That's the point. They can play night test cricket now with a ball that is ok but not perfect.

Should they wait the months, years, decades for cricket ball technology to catch up with the need of the game?

All this garbage about the ball bring no good. Where is the evidence of that? All we have seen is normal cricket scores in the Shield games where it has been used. Look at those scorecards. If you didn't know that it was using a pink ball at night you would not think anything is unusual anout them.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

All this garbage about the ball bring no good. Where is the evidence of that? All we have seen is normal cricket scores in the Shield games where it has been used. Look at those scorecards. If you didn't know that it was using a pink ball at night you would not think anything is unusual anout them.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Check when the wickets fell

No they can't?

That's the point. They can play night test cricket now with a ball that is ok but not perfect.

Should they wait the months, years, decades for cricket ball technology to catch up with the need of the game?

The ball needs to be perfect. A sub-standard match will more than undo any benefit that playing at night gives in terms of viewers.

I reckon our game this season with a ball that's not yet perfect would be considered good enough

We (Australia) need night tests the least ironically enough, given that crowds are still excellent. There are other places around the world where test cricket struggling that need a change more. They should be leading the charge for better technology.

I reckon our game this season with a ball that's not yet perfect would be considered good enough

We (Australia) need night tests the least ironically enough, given that crowds are still excellent. There are other places around the world where test cricket struggling that need a change more. They should be leading the charge for better technology.

So if we don't need it, why are we the ones playing with a sub-standard ball, especially given many other nations don't even use the Kookaburra?

Check when the wickets fell
But a NZ pitch that does heaps early on Day 1 and wins us a series is fine. A pitch that crumbles on Day 5 so Warne can spin us to victory is fine.

Conditions vary. Teams win the toss and bat so that the other team has to chase runs on Day 5 when it's difficult. Teams win the toss and bowl when there's moisture in it.

Wickets more likely to fall in an evening session might just be a characteristic of night cricket. An added tactical dimension. A new period where batters have to fight through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because CA believes the concept of D/N Test cricket is the be all and end all.
Certainly they're sold on it.

Getting test cricket into prime time is so important IMO. We've seen how the Big Bash has exploded by being on tv during prime time.

Important enough to make do with one test per summer with a ball the players aren't sold on. The ball will only get better too. What they used this season was better than what they had a couple of seasons ago.

But a NZ pitch that does heaps early on Day 1 and wins us a series is fine. A pitch that crumbles on Day 5 so Warne can spin us to victory is fine.

Conditions vary. Teams win the toss and bat so that the other team has to chase runs on Day 5 when it's difficult. Teams win the toss and bowl when there's moisture in it.

Wickets more likely to fall in an evening session might just be a characteristic of night cricket. An added tactical dimension. A new period where batters have to fight through.

Or is it because of visibility?

If wickets are falling because batsmen are struggling with visibility then I don't think it's fair at all.

Or is it because of visibility?

If wickets are falling because batsmen are struggling with visibility then I don't think it's fair at all.
They were holding their slips catches alright!

The ball seemed to start swinging and moving off the seam in the night session.

They were holding their slips catches alright!

The ball seemed to start swinging and moving off the seam in the night session.

I think the visibility thing is a bigger issue for new batsmen.

Players who were already out there adapt to the changes in light over time.

In any case we're getting a day night test anyway and will get at least 1 - probably 2- day night shield rounds so we'll have more evidence to work with and a better ball.

Certainly they're sold on it.

Getting test cricket into prime time is so important IMO. We've seen how the Big Bash has exploded by being on tv during prime time.

Important enough to make do with one test per summer with a ball the players aren't sold on. The ball will only get better too. What they used this season was better than what they had a couple of seasons ago.

Them believing it is important does not make it so, and it does not justify a lower quality match.

The only comments I've seen regarding the change in the quality of the ball over the years have been by CA, who are hardly a reliable third party. All we can really go off is the fact that we're told every year that the ball will be better next year, and then next year rolls around and the players make the same criticisms.

Yeah that's true. Redbacks got skittled when NSW declared during the last session. Though we may have been anyway!

Batters initially said the same about white ball under lights and in twilight though. There were ridiculous stats for batting first at the SCG in one dayers at one stage. Runs on the board big advantage. Not the case now. Is that because the ball/lights has improved? Or because batters have got used to it over time? Probably a little of both.

Last edited:
Them believing it is important does not make it so, and it does not justify a lower quality match.
You think test cricket is going well enough as is here and overseas to disregard the concept?

The only comments I've seen regarding the change in the quality of the ball over the years have been by CA, who are hardly a reliable third party. All we can really go off is the fact that we're told every year that the ball will be better next year, and then next year rolls around and the players make the same criticisms.
We know the players will complain regardless. No one likes change, and there's nothing better than having an 'out' for a poor performance. It's something new and there's always fear of the unknown.

CA will spruik it, players will talk it down. Can take both sets of opinions with a grain of salt. Truth lies somewhere in between I reckon.

You think test cricket is going well enough as is here and overseas to disregard the concept?

No, although I don't think it's going badly enough to regard it either. Cricket's fortunes lie in television audiences (domestic AND international), and they're worth a fair bit as it is. Cricket does not exist to make money.

We know the players will complain regardless. No one likes change, and there's nothing better than having an 'out' for a poor performance. It's something new and there's always fear of the unknown.

CA will spruik it, players will talk it down. Can take both sets of opinions with a grain of salt. Truth lies somewhere in between I reckon.

Possibly, but only one of those two groups matters on the field, and in the actual playing of the game.

No, although I don't think it's going badly enough to regard it either. Cricket's fortunes lie in television audiences (domestic AND international), and they're worth a fair bit as it is. Cricket does not exist to make money.

Possibly, but only one of those two groups matters on the field, and in the actual playing of the game.

Cricket needs accessibility. It's not possible to play every test during the holiday period and whilst people have shown that for big events like the Ashes they are willing to go on a work day, it shouldn't be expected. Need to get people through the gate and into the stands because that interest breeds further interest from the general public.

Kind of like if the Australian summer was picked up by Fox Sports it would be an amazing increase in the quality of production which the die-hards would appreciate, but a terrible move for the game.

Test cricket is awesome but it's a very backwards and conservative viewpoint to think that all evolution is bad.

I just don't think they've invested enough in the technology. They ball manufacturers say that they can't get pink dye to go into the leather, as though it's mission impossible. We've been to the moon! I'm sure we can find a way.

We've been to the moon and you still can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Some things just can't be done. The whole process of dying leather tends to dark colours. Any leather products you see that are light are not dyed, the colour is painted on, which comes off with wear, hence the problems we have with the pink ball. If you want a pink ball that doesn't do this you would have to make it out of something that isn't leather.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back