Pink Cricket ball farce

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably - how much is a one-off event and how much sustainable only time will tell - but the ball needs to be right and proven, not rushed and reliant on luck.
"Prime time" is not a one-off event.

It's a proven winner in sport, television and basically every single form of entertainment.

Fad or not... it's here to stay.

Suspect the delay on confirmation for Adelaide is the SA players union and CA working out the specifics of $$$.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/paki...-ul-haq-ramiz-raja-west-indies-uae/2016-04-25

Pakistan hope to host the West Indies in a day-night Test in October ahead of their pink-ball showdown with Australia in December, while captain Misbah-ul-Haq has confirmed domestic day-night matches will also form a crucial part of his team's preparations for the Brisbane Test.

Cricket.com.au understands the Pakistan Cricket Board has sent a proposal to West Indies Cricket Board to play a day-night Test in October this year, when the Windies will tour the United Arab Emirates for two Tests and six limited-over internationals.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...t/news-story/53277e1e1acebff19ff8a7a67836aef6

JAMES Sutherland has signalled that Cricket Australia could force South Africa’s hand over the proposed day-night Test at Adelaide Oval if necessary.

CA and Cricket South Africa are still negotiating the November fixture, with the reservations of senior Proteas currently the biggest hurdle.

Asked on Big Sports Breakfast radio if they could “just schedule” the match and take the decision out of CSA’s hands, CA chief executive Sutherland said: “It’s interesting you say that, because by my reading, technically, if you think about one-day cricket for example, as the host country we can decide if we want to play the one-day games starting at 10am or 2:30pm. No one else has any say in it, so why can’t we do the same thing with a Test match?

For fairly obvious reasons James

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd support CA forcing it. Suspect the South Africa players are really stalling over the pay bonus as New Zealand and Pakistan players found it within themselves to agree.

I'd support CA forcing it. Suspect the South Africa players are really stalling over the pay bonus as New Zealand and Pakistan players found it within themselves to agree.

And?

Why does Pakistan and New Zealand players agreeing make South Africans have to agree?

The PCB and NZCB were always interested in day night games anyway.

Why does CA have the right to push around other national boards?

Because the game would be played in Aus? They aren't demanding one on tours of South Africa.

Well given CA thought it was fine to serve up that Blacktown Practice Wicket to the Kiwis I can see why CA thinks it is fine.

The key difference between day night cricket and day night ODIs is that one is still highly experimental format that the other team has no experience with (maybe, like CA they'd like a few more goes at domestic cricket before adopting it) plus Australian players themselves don't want more than one day night test a summer.

And we can't even claim that the ball is perfected because they've done more work on it since the Adelaide test so going straight to two day night tests is unjustified.

Well it looks like the South Africans have caved in and agreed to the game.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/cr...t/news-story/97ae621f47ab02177b35eaa5b104b122

Green light for Australia’s plan to host South Africa in a day-night Test
June 3, 2016 7:53am
Sam Landsberger
0617f328b1ec966bc35770f7295a3c32

ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA - NOVEMBER 27: The sun sets over the Adelaide Oval during day one of the Third Test match between Australia and New Zealand at Adelaide Oval on November 27, 2015 in Adelaide, Australia. (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

AUSTRALIA’S wish to host South Africa in a day-night Test at Adelaide Oval is set to be granted.

News Corp Australia can reveal that the South African players have changed their stance on pink-ball cricket in a decision which will deliver Australia a second day-night Test next summer.

Ongoing concerns over visibility of the pink ball in twilight hours has been a stumbling block in its scheduling, but in a major fillip for Cricket Australia it is believed the Proteas finally agreed to play this week.

The breakthrough means Adelaide Oval will stage a day-night Test in November before a pink-ball match at the Gabba to open the three-Test series between Australia and Pakistan in December.

Cricket Australia today told the News Corp Australia discussions with Cricket Australia were ongoing.

“We remain optimistic that the Adelaide Test match will be played as a day-night match,” a spokesman said.

“After the success of last summer’s Adelaide Test, the anticipation in that market is huge.”

Last year’s historic day-night Test between Australia and New Zealand at Adelaide Oval drew a staggering 123,000 fans in three days. The historic Test also delivered bumper TV ratings.

The public resistance voiced by the South African – and some Australian players – has long clouded the timing of the November 24 Adelaide Oval fixture.

Tickets to the upcoming summer of cricket went on sale this week – excluding the Adelaide Test.

But it is believed an official announcement from Cricket Australia is imminent.

CA chief executive James Sutherland’s has long maintained confidence that South Africa would agree to the revolutionary timeslot.

“I had some separate conversations with colleagues from Cricket South Africa and the South African Players’ Association and I maintain my position that I continue to be optimistic about the Adelaide Test match being played as a day/night Test match,” he said in April.

The Australia-South Africa Test in Adelaide starts November 24 while the Test under lights in Brisbane begins on December 15.

India is set to follow Australia’s lead and host New Zealand in a day-night Test later this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back