Player Origin Breakdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Started a thread like this in the Suns sub-forum to get an idea of where players come from and how the QLD teams go about producing their own talent. The number between the Lions and the Suns (Vic - 34%, Qld - 25%, WA - 13%, SA - 13%, Tas - 11%, NT - 2%) are actually quite similar. The Lions did acquire more Queensland talent than usual during the off season and perhaps that had something to do with the exodus of interstate players. Anyway, here are the Lions numbers:

Victoria (20 players, 43%)
Brent Moloney
Jack Crisp
Jed Adcock
Stefan Martin
Trent West
Jonathan Brown
Jordan Lisle
James Polkinghorne
Michael Close
Ryan Lester
Matt Maguire
Patrick Wearden
Tom Rockliff
Jackson Paine
Mitch Golby
Tom Cutler
Darcy Gardiner
Daniel McStay
Lewis Taylor
Zachary O'Brien

Queensland (10 players, 21%)
Luke McGuane
Dayne Zorko
Claye Beams
Daniel Merrett
Andrew Raines
Jonathan Freeman
Jordon Bourke
Sam Michael
Isaac Conway
Archie Smith

Western Australia (6 players, 13%)
Rohan Bewick
Ashley McGrath
Daniel Rich
Marco Paparone
Matthew Leuenberger
Nick Robertson

South Australia (6 players, 13%)
Joel Patfull
Jack Redden
Sam Mayes
Justin Clarke
James Aish
Nick Hayes

Tasmania (2 players, 4%)
Ryan Harwood
Josh Green

New South Wales (1 player, 2%)
Brent Staker

Ireland (1 players, 2%)
Pearce Hanley

So what do we think? Should the Lions continue to draft Queensland players in an attempt develop a culture that isn't prone to people leaving? Are there too many Victorians on the list? Are there too many Gold Coasters on the list? Should the Lions draft more players from Tasmania and Northern Territory to avoid the go home factor?

Out of all those things, I think drafting more Queenslanders would be beneficial.

Ideally, the more Qlders the better. In reality though, just like drafting, you pick the best available or the best available that suits a need.
Do you pick the 5th or 10th best player to build a culture? I don't think you can. 2nd or 3rd best, possibly, but all clubs are in the business of building a team to win.

Thanks for collecting/compiling the numbers BTW, very interesting.:thumbsu:

So what do we think? Should the Lions continue to draft Queensland players in an attempt develop a culture that isn't prone to people leaving? Are there too many Victorians on the list? Are there too many Gold Coasters on the list? Should the Lions draft more players from Tasmania and Northern Territory to avoid the go home factor?

Out of all those things, I think drafting more Queenslanders would be beneficial.
One of the resolutions post-review was to eventually recruit around 30% of our list from our academy. I suppose that's only feasible if the talent presents itself (e.g. the lauded Tickner ended up missing out last year and Conway just scraped in), but the intent is there to keep us more QLD oriented.

Not so worried about the GC origin players though. Zorko, McGuane, Beams, Merrett and Raines all seem happy enough :cool:

If we are making comparisons between the Lions and Suns, it is only fair to remember that the Suns had priority access to the cream of the Queensland talent for their first few years. This put us behind the ball a fair bit.

The West Aussies have fallen back a fair bit recently.

One of the resolutions post-review was to eventually recruit around 30% of our list from our academy. I suppose that's only feasible if the talent presents itself (e.g. the lauded Tickner ended up missing out last year and Conway just scraped in), but the intent is there to keep us more QLD oriented.

Not so worried about the GC origin players though. Zorko, McGuane, Beams, Merrett and Raines all seem happy enough :cool:
That's an interesting insight into their plans. You'd probably want every player to be from Queensland if the talent presented itself but that's not realistic. I just thought the high amount of Gold Coasters on the list was interesting but, as you said, they seem happy.

If we are making comparisons between the Lions and Suns, it is only fair to remember that the Suns had priority access to the cream of the Queensland talent for their first few years. This put us behind the ball a fair bit.

Yeah but they also had other concessions which allowed them to recruit better players from outside Queensland to replace the local duds. By the time they entered the AFL there was only twelve of them left. Having exclusive access to the best five Queensland players each year during their first three seasons in the AFL is obviously an advantage but we'll only know for sure later down the track. Most years they didn't use anywhere near the amount of access they were allowed.

Agreed. A piece of Charlie Dixon would have been nice.

Rory Thompson would've been handy too.

I was curious so I looked into how many Queenslanders at the Gold Coast Suns actually fall into the Lions academy zone.

Brisbane Zone
Alex Sexton (Brisbane)
Karmichael Hunt (Brisbane)
Clay Cameron (Brisbane)
Jackson Allen (Brisbane)

Gold Coast Zone
Zac Smith (Rockhampton)
Jarrod Harbrow (Cairns)
Rory Thompson (Gold Coast)
Charlie Dixon (Cairns)
Andrew Boston (Gold Coast)
Jarred Ellis (Gold Coast)
Josh Hall (Townsville)

I was curious so I looked into how many Queenslanders at the Gold Coast Suns actually fall into the Lions academy zone.

Brisbane Zone
Alex Sexton (Brisbane)
Karmichael Hunt (Brisbane)
Clay Cameron (Brisbane)
Jackson Allen (Brisbane)

Gold Coast Zone
Zac Smith (Rockhampton)
Jarrod Harbrow (Cairns)
Rory Thompson (Gold Coast)
Charlie Dixon (Cairns)
Andrew Boston (Gold Coast)
Jarred Ellis (Gold Coast)
Josh Hall (Townsville)
I did find it interesting that Clay didn't come to the Lions. It's difficult to include Harbrow in that list, seeing as he actually came from the Bulldogs.

Yes I know that Charlie is from Cairns which is a GC zone, the point is that Cairns is a GC zone in the first place. Reminds me of the Reiwoldt issue from over a decade ago.

I did find it interesting that Clay didn't come to the Lions. It's difficult to include Harbrow in that list, seeing as he actually came from the Bulldogs.

Yes I know that Charlie is from Cairns which is a GC zone, the point is that Cairns is a GC zone in the first place. Reminds me of the Reiwoldt issue from over a decade ago.

Found this:
VIemrVi.jpg

Clearly the Gold Coast have the bigger zone in terms of land but I'm not sure when it comes to population. Did the Lions get the short end of the stick? Perhaps but it's no secret the Lions have been drafting Gold Coasters for a long time now. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Gold Coast get removed from Brisbane's zone due to the Lions exploiting some loophole in the 90s?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I'm familiar with that map. The talk at the time of course was loopholes, but action wasn't taken without lobbying by other parties.

Now that GC is on the map, I understand the need to split the zones, and I also see the need to give GC a leg up while they establish themselves (although along with every other Lions supporter I'm obviously happy that the 3 years is up). The only selfish issue that I have is that it happened to fall in a period of failure for the Lions, and they have had their re-build efforts stymied to a certain extent by competition - who have as much right to the talent now that they have been conceived.

Mind if I ask why you are pursuing this with such gusto? What are you looking to get out of this thread?

The issue I've always had with the manner Queensland was divided up is that Gold Coast clearly have access to the two strongest zones, being the Gold Coast and Far North Queensland (FNQ) and the two regions that would probably have more expatriates from traditional football states than those areas that the Lions has access to. I have no problem with the Suns having the Gold Coast zone for obvious reasons, but also obtaining the FNQ zone containing Cairns and Townsville is disadvantageous to the Lions.

The only two areas in Queensland that the Lions would really benefit is Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast and IMO, if I was given a choice of two zones out of the four I have mentioned, I would choose Gold Coast and FNQ over Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast, particularly long term.

To be honest though, I'm not surprised the Lions were on the short end of the stick in this regard.

Mind if I ask why you are pursuing this with such gusto? What are you looking to get out of this thread?

I'm interested in QLD footy given I live on the GC. Was wondering what Lions fans thought about it all and I like discussion.

The issue I've always had with the manner Queensland was divided up is that Gold Coast clearly have access to the two strongest zones, being the Gold Coast and Far North Queensland (FNQ) and the two regions that would probably have more expatriates from traditional football states than those areas that the Lions has access to. I have no problem with the Suns having the Gold Coast zone for obvious reasons, but also obtaining the FNQ zone containing Cairns and Townsville is disadvantageous to the Lions.

The only two areas in Queensland that the Lions would really benefit is Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast and IMO, if I was given a choice of two zones out of the four I have mentioned, I would choose Gold Coast and FNQ over Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast, particularly long term.

To be honest though, I'm not surprised the Lions were on the short end of the stick in this regard.

Could you not make the argument that Brisbane's larger population makes up for it? I mean they have an academy now and have a much larger pool of kids to pick from. FNQ is a tricky one because you can't really split up Townsville and Cairns so one of the two AFL teams needs to get the area.

I'm interested in QLD footy given I live on the GC. Was wondering what Lions fans thought about it all and I like discussion.
Yeah, it is an interesting topic, because it gives us an indication of where QLD footy is headed and ultimately if the expansion this far North has been a success.

Meh, swings and roundabouts. Our Academy crop was better last year and looks to be the same this year. Don't think we are too bad off in the carve-up.
Yeah I agree, as far as the academies are going I think that we are on the up. Maybe if Lachie Weller had moved up a bit earlier things would be different :cool:

Could you not make the argument that Brisbane's larger population makes up for it? I mean they have an academy now and have a much larger pool of kids to pick from.
It's not an advantage if nobody in that zone plays footy. Extreme example I know, but you get the idea.

Yeah, it is an interesting topic, because it gives us an indication of where QLD footy is headed and ultimately if the expansion this far North has been a success.

No doubt. I guess the only question I would have is whether both clubs possess the resources/money to take full advantage of the academy system?

It's not an advantage if nobody in that zone plays footy. Extreme example I know, but you get the idea.

I see what you mean. The potential is definitely there though. I have a feeling the Southport Sharks will help the Suns out a lot in the future in that regard. Perhaps the Lions should look into strengthening competitions through their zone? Upgrading facilities and what not.

I see what you mean. The potential is definitely there though. I have a feeling the Southport Sharks will help the Suns out a lot in the future in that regard. Perhaps the Lions should look into strengthening competitions through their zone? Upgrading facilities and what not.
Contentious topic, that. Changes are being made to NEAFL-North, but not for the better according to many local footy supporters. Check out the NEAFL board for more info.

Contentious topic, that. Changes are being made to NEAFL-North, but not for the better according to many local footy supporters. Check out the NEAFL board for more info.

I wonder if it's a similar situation on the Gold Coast with both Broadbeach and Labrador getting kicked out of the competition? I imagine the eventual idea is to have two teams in Brisbane that are split into north and south, one team on the Gold Coast and one team in north Queensland.

Do the Lions have a good relationship with Aspley and Redland? I know the Suns do with Southport.

If by "relationship" you mean "Daniel Rich is on the Aspley bus", then yes.

Have any AFL players even come out of Aspley? I know Redland has produced a few but I thought Mount Gravatt and Morningside had produced a lot more...

Zillmere, Aspley, and Sandgate are (were?) the best clubs to go to for juniors on the northside, and talented players who wanted to improve their chanced of AFL footy would leave and join one of those 3 clubs. That was a few years ago and I'm not sure if Sandgate or Zillmere are as strong as they once were. For some reason a lot of gun juniors never really developed past U16s and that has been a trend for as long as I can remember (I knew a few and they became big headed and decided to piss around and take drugs/drink etc). With the Lions academy now set up I can be sure that a few will be drafted in the coming years. Dawson (Aspley) will be an almost certainty if he works hard and doesn't slack off.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Gold Coast get removed from Brisbane's zone due to the Lions exploiting some loophole in the 90s?
Yeah, I'm familiar with that map. The talk at the time of course was loopholes, but action wasn't taken without lobbying by other parties.

Riewoldt moved from Broady to Southport, which puts him within the Km's required from the CBD.:oops: .... Eddie gets his knickers in a knot as in 1999, 12 months out from draft at the end of 2000 that Riewoldt is eligible for, Collingwood are a crappy team, finishing bottom, and in 12 months if they do that again they would have #1 pick.

Eddie does some intense lobbying and gets the zone reduced, and Riewoldt is now on the open market.

Best bit is that Collingwood improve from 16th to 15th (even after losing 15 of their last 17 games) and miss out on #1 pick anyway.

Riewoldt becomes a Saint.

If the rule was not changed, Between 2000 and 2008 when the Suns came in, Southport produced the following players which could have been zone selections.

- 2000 Reiwoldt
- 2003 - Raines
- 2005 - Sam Gilbert
- 2006 - Brent Renouf
- 2006 - Kurt Tippett
- 2008 - Dayne Beams

Now I know the rule was changed, and I don't really care, but Eddie's argument over getting rid of the retention allowance was for us to get more Queenslanders, but he was the one who instigated us losing the ability to recruit Queenslanders for a while there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back