Player Positional Changes in 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

BigGib

Senior List
Oct 12, 2011
Sunbury
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I thought I would start a thread about where you could see some players playing in 2014 as opposed to 2013.

Here are a few ideas that come to mind:

1 - Robert Murphy - Murph started the year in the FWD line however, I think he will continue to play across the HB in 2014

2 - Adam Cooney - I can see Cooney settling into a HB role also in 2014 as his explosive run and carry, in addition to his one on one strength will be an asset in the back half.

3 - Brett Goodes - With the influx of running HB players in the side in 2014 (Murph, Wood, JJ, Cooney), in addition to the departure of Dyl Addison, I see Goodes playing as a defensive FWD in 2014. I had a dream about it occurring and the more I think about it, the more it make sense. It also gives Fuller an opportunity to make a HB position his own.

1- I have a feeling Boyd will play a defensive forward role, maybe not straight away, but I think it will happen regardless.

2- Think Cooney will play regularly off half back.

3- I reckon Jones will play in the ruck occasionally, possibly as the 2nd ruckman.

4- Although not necessarily a positional change for us but I think Crameri will play a little higher up the field for us than where he played for Essendon.

5- I expect to see small bursts in the midfield for Stringer.

3 - Brett Goodes - With the influx of running HB players in the side in 2014 (Murph, Wood, JJ, Cooney), in addition to the departure of Dyl Addison, I see Goodes playing as a defensive FWD in 2014. I had a dream about it occurring and the more I think about it, the more it make sense. It also gives Fuller an opportunity to make a HB position his own.

Goodes was actually a pretty damn effective Gia style forward at VFL level.

I would hate to see Coons move to half back again, he was shithouse there this year.

I'd like to see Boyd and Wallis swap roles, with Boyd becoming our tagger.

I would hate to see Coons move to half back again, he was shithouse there this year.

I'd like to see Boyd and Wallis swap roles, with Boyd becoming our tagger.

Totally agree with you with Coon at half back. He makes to many mistakes there.
But this should get some discussion going !
Boyd is a far more damaging kick than Wallis, Because Wallis is not the greatest kick going around , tagging suits him at this stage of his career.

If Williams is fit (cross everything - kiss a monk - whatever) the I'd like to see the swingman role continue with Jones having a run in Defence. Worked fantastically for Mooney and for Grant.

If Williams is not fit hopefully Roberts can play this role in a couple of games.

The swingman often doesn't work - re Austin - a decent defender with good hands couldn't do a Harry Taylor impression.

The problem is often that the swingman has to play two of the hardest positions on the field CHF and CHB. FB/FF work for short bursts far more often because these guys have less dimensions to their roles - at least traditionally.

Also, given the back flanker competition (Murphy, Picken, Goodes, JJ, Fuller ++ mids dropping back (Cooney, Higgins, Darley, Macrae) we might see more of Wood on a wing - fast, powerful and booming kick and looks better when he runs rather than tries to be cute.

May also see rotations with Hrovat on the ball.

Prudden for ruck - surely he can do it! He is the Chuck Norris of Footy.

An interesting one could be Easton Wood to a half forward role. I know we have a few at this position already, but with a couple guys now able to play the half back positions, Macca might try Wood around the wing / half forward area to see what he has there. Fairly big and strong, nice burst of pace and a big leap, he wouldn't be a natural forward but you never know how he might pick it up, and would add to our mid/tall sized forward line of mobile guys that will create a nightmare for opposition defences to match up on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Jones simply doesn't make it this year, and I'm 50:50 on whether he can get there, would we try Stringer at CHF?

He's theoretically too short at 191cm and 92kg however Pav (192cm; 99kg) and Carey (192cm; 97kg) both tried out for that slot and both did Ok.

I'm not calling the kid the future either of those players (ok - yes I'm hoping!) but given he can play both as a mid and as a forward that sounds like the perfect skill set for a modern day CHF to me....

Hope Jones makes it for the flexibility but I would love to see Stringer tried in this type of role.

If Jones simply doesn't make it this year, and I'm 50:50 on whether he can get there, would we try Stringer at CHF?

He's theoretically too short at 191cm and 92kg however Pav (192cm; 99kg) and Carey (192cm; 97kg) both tried out for that slot and both did Ok.

What a load of rot.

Chris Grant was 193 and was more than OK at CHF.

Wood will struggle to get a gig on any flank or wing. I wish him every luck but I can't see this team tolerating the kind of haphazard disposal he has delivered to date.

As for Cooney, he was a disaster on the half back line for much of the time he played there. But he got better. The stint helped him develop defensive attributes in his game which had been entirely lacking from his repertoire. In particular, his tackling, which I wonder whether he knew was even part of the game under Eade, became a regular feature. At the end of 2013, Cooney in my opinion is a superior player than at any other time in his career. And he was enjoying himself again. He was slotting goals on his non preferred, passing on his non preferred. Just, running amok when required. A very interesting approach from the MC. I expect he will be used in a burst role in the middle throughout the 2014 season, to break open games at critical moments.

Wood will struggle to get a gig on any flank or wing. I wish him every luck but I can't see this team tolerating the kind of haphazard disposal he has delivered to date.

As for Cooney, he was a disaster on the half back line for much of the time he played there. But he got better. The stint helped him develop defensive attributes in his game which had been entirely lacking from his repertoire. In particular, his tackling, which I wonder whether he knew was even part of the game under Eade, became a regular feature. At the end of 2013, Cooney in my opinion is a superior player than at any other time in his career. And he was enjoying himself again. He was slotting goals on his non preferred, passing on his non preferred. Just, running amok when required. A very interesting approach from the MC. I expect he will be used in a burst role in the middle throughout the 2014 season, to break open games at critical moments.
A big call but I'm inclined to agree with you.

The Adam Cooney in the back half of this season was good but the Adam Cooney in 08-09 was the most dangerous player in the game. I don't think nor do I expect him to return to that sort of vintage consistency. I still don't think his role in the team is any less important, though.

I rate Easton Wood, I think he fits into our best 22. I am amazed at the critisim he gets on this board, it is certainly no shared at the club. Big Footy experts at it again.

I like Wood too, but I thought he had more upside than he has shown. Hopefully it's just been niggling injuries, which, fingers crossed, has passed.
Where do you see him our best 22?

Easton Wood can play and is a quality person. An injury free season will see him as a bulldog favourite !!!!
Negative bloggers should concentrate on players who have no upside at all - Higgins, Williams, Jong, Redpath, Greenwood etc

I reckon Wood gonna become the Addison type of role next year as the defnesive forward since he has solid marking skills and likes to crash the packs.

I rate Easton Wood, I think he fits into our best 22. I am amazed at the critisim he gets on this board, it is certainly no shared at the club. Big Footy experts at it again.

I can't see that the criticism on this board has been unfair to Wood. From what I have read and what I understand of my own opinion, I rate Wood's potential raw ability. However, I can't see that anyone would argue that he has delivered on that promise. He is a sufficient number of seasons into his career now, that a certain level of maturity is expected but it is still on its way.

I understand recurring injuries are preventing him from obtaining the necessary continuity. But stating that he is not an automatic. 22 is hardly being overly critical. He has for whatever reason not delivered on his promise and now a number of talented players are looming to take his place.

I think this is just fair comment and seriously doubt any objection to that assessment within the club. I see his potential but time is up, he needs to deliver.

I can't see that the criticism on this board has been unfair to Wood. From what I have read and what I understand of my own opinion, I rate Wood's potential raw ability. However, I can't see that anyone would argue that he has delivered on that promise. He is a sufficient number of seasons into his career now, that a certain level of maturity is expected but it is still on its way.

I understand recurring injuries are preventing him from obtaining the necessary continuity. But stating that he is not an automatic. 22 is hardly being overly critical. He has for whatever reason not delivered on his promise and now a number of talented players are looming to take his place.

I think this is just fair comment and seriously doubt any objection to that assessment within the club. I see his potential but time is up, he needs to deliver.

For God sake stop it Man!!! You're making far to much sence for my liking!!.....:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back