Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Running through some potential players to achieve 30 in a game and over 9 goals in a game in their career. I can only find these names at the moment and there has to be more. (Seperate occasions not on same day)

Pavlich
Ablett snr
J Cameron
L Matthews
P Daicos

Running through some potential players to achieve 30 in a game and over 9 goals in a game in their career. I can only find these names at the moment and there has to be more. (Seperate occasions not on same day)

Pavlich
Ablett snr
J Cameron
L Matthews
P Daicos
I’m sure Carey has.

Pavlich
Ablett snr
J Cameron
L Matthews
P Daicos

It's a pretty exclusive club...a few I thought of to check are very close but no more found yet...

Jason Dunstall had 29 disposals and 17 goals on the same day but never quite got 30 (in a lower possession era).
Kevin Bartlett has had up to 44 disposals and famously kicked 8 in a final but never got to 9.
Jarryd Roughead has had 30 disposals multiple times but maxed out at multiple occassions of 8 goals
Stevie J maxed out at 7 goals.
Scottie Lucas (of all people) has maxed out at 29 and 8.
Franklin maxed out at 28 (and 13).

Edit: Found one. Matty Lloyd suprisingly had 30 touches once (26 his next best) and obvious went 9+ plenty of times.

Des Tuddenham 40 and 9 in the same game.

Paul Salmon.

David Neitz

Last edited:
Thought I got a more obscure one - Mark LeCras - who kicked 12 against Essendon that day - but he maxed out at 29 disposals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alex Jesaulenko (Carlton)
Allan Davis (St Kilda)
Geoff Blethyn (Essendon)
Sam Kekovich (North Melbourne)
Phil Carman (Collingwood)
Robert Walls (Carlton)
Kelvin Templeton (Footscray)
Ross Glendinning (North Melbourne)
Malcolm Blight (North Melbourne)
Bernie Quinlan (Footscray / Fitzroy)
Paul Salmon (Essendon / Hawthorn)
Garry Lyon (Melbourne)
Wayne Carey (North Melbourne)
Matthew Lloyd (Essendon)
Tom Lynch (Adelaide)

Paul Salmon has a pretty serious list of 'bests':

32 disposals, 17 marks, 7 contested marks (stat introduced when he was 34), 47 hit outs, 11 goals, 16 contested possessions (introduced at 33 y.o) and 22 clearances (introduced at 33 y.o, still most clearances in a game ever).

For context, that 22 clearance game was in a 2 point win against the best team in the league at the time (North of the late 90's), matched up against the guy who won the league MVP in a canter (Corey McKernan). Fair effort.

Last edited:
Doug Searl (Fitzroy)
Graham Teasdale (South Melbourne)
Peter Knights (Hawthorn)
Bernie Evans (South Melbourne-Sydney/Carlton)
Paul Vander Haar (Essendon)
Nicky Winmar (St Kilda)
Brad Hardie (Footscray / Brisbane Bears)
Paul Hudson (Hawthorn)
Stewart Loewe (St Kilda)
Darren Bewick (Essendon)
Darren Jarman (Hawthorn / Adelaide)
Peter Everitt (St Kilda)
Lance Whitnall (Carlton)

So Jeremy Cameron is the only active player?

Carey didn't actually get that many goals in his career, less than you would think anyway.
Carey passed a lot off like Hawkins (sadly without the goal assist stats locked in his actual record) and did a lot of his best work between the arcs. He pretty much supported every part of the field. Longmire was the full forward and at times they kept others deepest.

I reckon if score involvements were recorded back then, Carey would have one of the highest averages ever. At least in the past 40 years.

Carey passed a lot off like Hawkins (sadly without the goal assist stats locked in his actual record) and did a lot of his best work between the arcs. He pretty much supported every part of the field. Longmire was the full forward and at times they kept others deepest.

I reckon if score involvements were recorded back then, Carey would have one of the highest averages ever. At least in the past 40 years.
I agree. I would love to see exactly how many score involvements. Lance Franklin led the league in 2017 with 9.12 per game over 24 games. He averaged 16.9 disposals (13.2 kicks; 3.7 handballs), 6.6 marks, 3.0 goals, and 2.5 behinds, 0.8 goal assists. I think a safe estimate would be somewhere between 8 to 12 score involvements per game for Carey.

It's a pretty exclusive club...a few I thought of to check are very close but no more found yet...

Jason Dunstall had 29 disposals and 17 goals on the same day but never quite got 30 (in a lower possession era).
Kevin Bartlett has had up to 44 disposals and famously kicked 8 in a final but never got to 9.
Jarryd Roughead has had 30 disposals multiple times but maxed out at multiple occassions of 8 goals
Stevie J maxed out at 7 goals.
Scottie Lucas (of all people) has maxed out at 29 and 8.
Franklin maxed out at 28 (and 13).

Edit: Found one. Matty Lloyd suprisingly had 30 touches once (26 his next best) and obvious went 9+ plenty of times.
Lucas is dismissed by most non Essendon people.
But he was a pivotal part of that 2000 era at EFC playing a roll of lead up half forward/wing who would take countless marks and drill it down to Lloydy and others with a lethal left foot while also banging through goals himself.

He missed a lot of set shots. It wasn’t until he was 25ish he really got the hang of league footy.

Harrison Jones is Scotty right now. So much potential with strong hands but just can’t quite get it consistently.

Lucas ended up a truely beloved and immortal Bomber to us but will be unfortunately forgotten by others as the decades go by…

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back