Players with a point to prove in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

In reality, he's no less accurate overall than most other top goalkickers in the league currently, his misses just look worse.
The problem is all the out of bounders dont get tallied.

Cloke really just needs to run up like a crab and he will be fine.

Three names spring to mind for us.

Tyson stagnated last season with injury and fell off the radar. Needs to return to 2014 form and build upon it.

Lumumba needs to show alot more than he did last season as he has not been a worthwhile acquisition to date (with a straight face he nominated himself in "Ones to watch in 2016" on the club website, so he probably would agree)

Melksham has his fair share of doubters. Definite point to prove at a new club.
Good list. I'd maybe add Jay Kennedy-Harris... he showed plenty of promise in 2014 but went backwards last year. He might be playing for his career this year.

I'd also like to see Dawes as best 22 by the end of the year; he's definitely capable of it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4689479-afl-players-with-a-point-to-prove-in-2016/slide/422239

10 players listed below with a quick summary, can read in more detail attached if you CBF. Agree with most of them except for GABLETT, bloke has nothing left to prove to anyone unless he wants to silence the criticism around his perceived leadership problems.

Thoughts? Who is missing, who shouldn't be in there?

1. Jake Carlisle (off field issues)
2. Gary Ablett (comeback from injury)
3. Jobe Watson (WADA impact)
4. Patrick Dangerfield (marquee signing)
5. Dale Thomas ($$$, injury)
6. Lance Franklin (MIA finals)
7. Tom Boyd ($$$)
8. Harley Bennell (off field issues)
9. Dustin Martin (off field issues)
10. Bryce Gibbs (can he take the next step consistently)

Agree 100% with you about Ablett. He will however stick it up everyone and prove how much better he is than anyone else anyway.

Apart from him,
Natanui is going to make everyone weep with his dominance.

I think the best comparison for m crouch is Scott Thompson. Both messy by hand and foot. Thompson has straightened that out to a degree as he's progressed and has become a solid b+ grade footballer. I think crouch can get there too. Crazy comparing him to hodge and Mitchell unless only looking at ball gathering, not composure and delivery.
Brad crouch is a better player atm at least from what I've seen. Stoppage King.

Gary Ablett Jr - Is he still the best player in the game? I think so, Gary has a point to prove. He will be more motivated than ever.

David Myers
- Hasn't lived up to expectations, highly rated by Essendon supporters as a potential A-Grader, but results suggest he is more a C-grader. He has a point to prove.

Jake Melksham - Very much a maligned player among his former team's supporters, perhaps even laughed at by Dees supporters. He will be very motivated to show everyone they were wrong, and that he can play. Whether he can or not is a different story, but does have a point to prove.

Patrick McCartin - Definitely has a point to prove. Will his junior form transition to AFL level? Will probably always have a point to prove.

Tom Boyd - Obvious choice. Yet to perform to expectations - or even close. Perhaps he is just a dud footballer? Not sure, but not only does he have a point to prove when he gets out there, but he also has to prove that he even belongs out there. I'm not sure he is up to AFL level.

Luke Shuey - Very, very good footballer. Will be out to prove that he is better than his GF performance suggests. Shuey is an A Grade player, he will be motivated to turn into an A+ grade player, I think he will. Had a good year, but now has a couple of question marks (although minor), will be out to prove a point.

Dom Tyson
- After an exceptional first year at the Demons, Tyson seems to of plateaued in 2015. He will be out to prove that his debut season wasn't a one off. Needs to as well. An average year could see Tyson passed over for a midfield position in 2017. Not only does he have a point to prove, but also a position to hold onto.

Charlie Dixon, Jay Schulz, Matthew Lobbe & Paddy Ryder.

You really need Paddy to fit in the Backline - His marking, reading of the play and his kicking game make him perfect for a 3rd tall. I reckon that's the only way you can see those 4 being effective.

Time for Essendon to stop feeling sorry for themselves by feeling harshly dealt by the media and other fans (we FARKED UP BIG TIME) time to get our heads out of the sand and start playing like the football team we can actually play when they were playing FOR HIRDY.

Whilst Tom Boyd is certainly going to gather a lot of the public scrutiny I think Jordan Roughead is the player who has most to prove in 2016. Was pushed out of our backline quite quickly under Beveridge and really needs to make that ruck spot his own. We probably have the worst ruck stock in the competition and Roughead is our vice-captain. Must stand up if we are to progress to the next level.

Tom Boyd - Obvious choice. Yet to perform to expectations - or even close. Perhaps he is just a dud footballer? Not sure, but not only does he have a point to prove when he gets out there, but he also has to prove that he even belongs out there. I'm not sure he is up to AFL level.

Right. So after having every single club rate him as the consensus #1 pick now he's not up to AFL level because he hasn't dominated before he turned 20?

Right. So after having every single club rate him as the consensus #1 pick now he's not up to AFL level because he hasn't dominated before he turned 20?

Every club would've anticipated a better transition for Boyd. But put simply, he has been underwhelming. His under 18 form was good, and every club would've had Boyd in calculations for pick 1, but they would've also expected a better output to this point. Boyd hasn't transitioned well, and until he does - there will be BIG question marks surrounding Boyd. Get used to it kiddo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heppell??? Really?? I know you hate us, but seriously?? you're just like the Mormons - "dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb,""
Apparently a Rising Star, AFLPA Best First Year Player Award, AFLCA Best Young Player Award, 3x 22under22 Team Member, Best and Fairest medal and All Australian nod before your 23rd birthday isn't quite good enough.

Heppell has already proven that he is an A grade player despite some more uninformed punters claiming he'd never be anything more than a back flanker. Apart from a Brownlow and a premiership I'm not sure what more accolades Heppell has to earn.

Last edited:
You really need Paddy to fit in the Backline - His marking, reading of the play and his kicking game make him perfect for a 3rd tall. I reckon that's the only way you can see those 4 being effective.

Rubbish

Dixon & Schulz will be our key forwards with Ryder & Lobbe sharing the rucking duties. Game time to be worked out

I think the best comparison for m crouch is Scott Thompson. Both messy by hand and foot. Thompson has straightened that out to a degree as he's progressed and has become a solid b+ grade footballer. I think crouch can get there too. Crazy comparing him to hodge and Mitchell unless only looking at ball gathering, not composure and delivery.

Pretty much. He was picked up at pick no 23 and arguably could have gone later if it wasn't for his brother playing for us.
Isn't the quickest and not always great best user of the ball but has proven he can find it. The kid is still 20, i'm sure there is still some scope for improvement. Not exactly sure what people are expecting from him?

Every club would've anticipated a better transition for Boyd. But put simply, he has been underwhelming. His under 18 form was good, and every club would've had Boyd in calculations for pick 1, but they would've also expected a better output to this point. Boyd hasn't transitioned well, and until he does - there will be BIG question marks surrounding Boyd. Get used to it kiddo.

No more question marks than any young forward.

Would you question whether patty Mccartin is up to AFL standard? Boyd had performed better than him in both his first and second years. His second year without the luxury of being a third tall

Heppell??? Really?? I know you hate us, but seriously?? you're just like the Mormons - "dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb,""
He went backwards in 2015 - not sure he coped with the captaincy. The game against us is all the proof I need. That mistake on the wing swung the entire game.

No more question marks than any young forward.

Would you question whether patty Mccartin is up to AFL standard? Boyd had performed better than him in both his first and second years. His second year without the luxury of being a third tall

McCartin has only had 1 year in the system. 2016 will be his second year. Tom Boyd has had a couple years in the system, and was still lumbering around in the VFL - and not doing much in the process. He is a highly paid, and highly rated player, yet his performances haven't justified either. My opinion on Boyd is largely shaped by what I've seen of him - and I haven't been impressed. When he was at the GWS he spent a fair amount of time in the NEAFL, and he didn't do a lot there. Now he is at the Bullies, he is spending a fair amount of time in the VFL, and not doing a lot. I am not seeing a much progress from Boyd, and if McCartin is at the same stage this time next year, I will question him in exactly the same manner. I don't expect young forwards to set the league on fire, but I do expect them to show they actually belong there, especially if they were taken ahead of kids like Kelly, Bontempelli and Brayshaw.

Apparently a Rising Star, AFLCA Best Young Player Award, Best and Fairest medal and All Australian nod before your 22nd birthday isn't quite good enough.

Heppell has already proven that he is an A grade player despite some more uninformed punters claiming he'd never be anything more than a back flanker. Apart from a Brownlow and a premiership I'm not sure what more accolades Heppell has to earn.

That is a VERY impressive resume to have before the age of 22. I actually thought Heppell lifted this year, I was impressed, looked more effective than previous years. He will never be accused of not giving his all anyway.

McCartin has only had 1 year in the system. 2016 will be his second year. Tom Boyd has had a couple years in the system, and was still lumbering around in the VFL - and not doing much in the process. He is a highly paid, and highly rated player, yet his performances haven't justified either. My opinion on Boyd is largely shaped by what I've seen of him - and I haven't been impressed. When he was at the GWS he spent a fair amount of time in the NEAFL, and he didn't do a lot there. Now he is at the Bullies, he is spending a fair amount of time in the VFL, and not doing a lot. I am not seeing a much progress from Boyd, and if McCartin is at the same stage this time next year, I will question him in exactly the same manner. I don't expect young forwards to set the league on fire, but I do expect them to show they actually belong there, especially if they were taken ahead of kids like Kelly, Bontempelli and Brayshaw.

I think a lot of the criticism of Boyd and to a lesser extent McCartin is a bit unjustified currently (certainly I think its fair to some degree on Boyd though as of 2016 he will be on huge dollars), but these 2 will take time, they simply don't have the athletic ability that other young key forwards have, several of whom have dominated the competition at an early age such as Cameron, Hogan and Stringer (more a 2nd/3rd tall forward though).

Needless to say though WB supporters will be disappointed if he repeats his 2015 year in 2016. He's looking much better on the track apparently and at a minimum needs at least 30 - 35 goals. Big year for Tom in 2016.

A cursory glance at the stats sheet hardly tells the story, Goldstein was shithouse that day.
In fact, one of the talking points to come out of the game was how well we used Roughead and Redpath tactically against Goldstein.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back