PS5 Playstation 5 - Articles, accessories and everything else

Remove this Banner Ad

Farkin finally got one today and won the competition of actually being able to get my payment details in and confirmed before the site crashes or they're sold out within 45 seconds. I don't know how anyone who isn't following one of these twitter bot accounts that shout out when a site has them on sale has any hope given the rush there is even if you're on the site the second they go live.

Where did you buy it from? BigW?

Where did you buy it from? BigW?
Nah, Target, they had a drop this morning that I managed to get one into my cart, enter my payment details only then for the site to break down because of traffic and miss out, then a 2 controller bundle dropped not long ago, seems like not as many people were ready for it because the site wasn't running like dog s**t from too much traffic.

I tried to get one from BigW yesterday, managed to get it in my cart but that's as far as I got before the failure came.

Except that it hasn't been proven that it is the console that is broken ;)

I think for the first month of having my PS5 (had it delivered one day after the release date), my console would have issues coming out of rest mode quite a few times. I couldn’t say have a PS5 game on pause and a PS4 game patch downloading in rest mode or have a PS5 game on pause/PS4 games downloading and the PS5 controller charging in rest mode. Coming out of rest mode my console would act like it’s just starting up for the first time.

I haven’t had any issues since then. Maybe a software patch fixed the issues but I don’t really download game patches as I am gaming anymore so maybd that has helped a bit too.

Nah, Target, they had a drop this morning that I managed to get one into my cart, enter my payment details only then for the site to break down because of traffic and miss out, then a 2 controller bundle dropped not long ago, seems like not as many people were ready for it because the site wasn't running like dog sh*t from too much traffic.

I tried to get one from BigW yesterday, managed to get it in my cart but that's as far as I got before the failure came.

Nice! Those mad dashes can be stressful lol.

I remember last year when the official showcase for the PS5 was shown. I don’t think anyone expected the console to be up for pre-order not long after it finished at 6:30AM because Sony never gave any indication of it during the showcase. I came on on here to read people’s thoughts on the showcase and I saw a post that the console was up for pre-order. Rushed to the JBHIFI website, it was up for pre-order, had all my gift cards ready (about $650 worth, * yeah! :p), only to discover JB was only asking for a $50 credit card deposit. Even better, I don’t do so well under pressure when I need to type fast lol.

Nice! Those mad dashes can be stressful lol.

I remember last year when the official showcase for the PS5 was shown. I don’t think anyone expected the console to be up for pre-order not long after it finished at 6:30AM because Sony never gave any indication of it during the showcase. I came on on here to read people’s thoughts on the showcase and I saw a post that the console was up for pre-order. Rushed to the JBHIFI website, it was up for pre-order, had all my gift cards ready (about $650 worth, fu** yeah! :p), only to discover JB was only asking for a $50 credit card deposit. Even better, I don’t do so well under pressure when I need to type fast lol.
I learned that you need to have your card details ready to control+v as I choked under the pressure a couple of times trying it.

I dont get the obsession with increased storage space. The factory standard fits enough and it's not as if you can't uninstall/reinstall.

How many games are people playing at the same time?
Agreed. I generally never go back to a game once I've completed it anyway so no need to keep old ones on the HD forever. Some people seem to just want to own as many games as possible. I'm more of a connoisseur 😅

My backlog is just stored on an external drive. So when I decide to play them they are there and don't need to download them. I keep most of my games installed because I might be in the mood for tony hawk or whatever.

Agreed. I generally never go back to a game once I've completed it anyway so no need to keep old ones on the HD forever. Some people seem to just want to own as many games as possible. I'm more of a connoisseur 😅
Same. There are too many games on my "want to play" list that I would never have time to replay a game these days. Also why would I buy too far ahead when the longer I wait to buy the cheaper any given game will be.

I do get the point though raised by dwwaino of keeping a few stock multiplayer, party or sports game on hand for quick access.

I dont get the obsession with increased storage space. The factory standard fits enough and it's not as if you can't uninstall/reinstall.

How many games are people playing at the same time?

In some cases, sure. If a person never plays a game more than once, then the 667GB internal SSD will do.

But if you own a vast digital library of games (through day 1 buys or PS Store sales), you can play any game you spontaneously feel like playing without downloading it. You also have to consider that not everyones Internet speed is the same. If it takes someone more than 10 hours to download a 50GB game, that can just sit on an external HDD and you never need to worry about downloading it again.

It's not about playing multiple games at the same time but think about all the games you have played multiple times that you might own. If you fill up the internal SSD with 15 games, I reckon over the life of the PS5 you will buy another 15 games and it might get a bit grating to constantly be downloading a 50GB game, deleting it and then deciding to play it 6 months later so downloading it again.

I wouldnt personally go near buying an Internal SSD because I don't see the value in paying over $400 for 1TB of additional space but I do get why lots of gamers would buy extra storage.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rang Playstation support about my issue with the ps5 shutting down in rest mode, and it appears there are three steps I can take, 1) rebuild database, and if that doesn't work then 2) restore to factory settings(!) and finally if there's still issues then 3) get console replaced(!!!)

I feel as though I am about to embark on a journey through space and time itself

But what happens if step 1 or 2 fixes the issue and it never happens again?
I had to constantly rebuild my database on my PS4 due to the controller disconnecting. I'd definitely still try options 1 and 2 first. Given the shortage of supply, who knows when you'll be able to get a new one.

I had to constantly rebuild my database on my PS4 due to the controller disconnecting. I'd definitely still try options 1 and 2 first. Given the shortage of supply, who knows when you'll be able to get a new one.
All places have consoles "on hold" for replacements. It will take as long as it takes for the console so be shipped from head office to the store.

I rang Playstation support about my issue with the ps5 shutting down in rest mode, and it appears there are three steps I can take, 1) rebuild database, and if that doesn't work then 2) restore to factory settings(!) and finally if there's still issues then 3) get console replaced(!!!)

I feel as though I am about to embark on a journey through space and time itself

Why didn't they suggest turning it off and on again? :think:

If you are a consumer and receive a faulty product, take it back and get a brand new replacement. I do it with any and all electronics. I must of swapped over at least 10 controllers with EB. Quiv knows what's up.

Last edited:
Because your console was broken and you should have taken it back too.

It don't understand this. It's a 750 dollar piece of equipment that is not functioning correctly less than 12 months into its life. No matter how big or small the problem is, it's a defective console. It's your right to have it replaced.

Because your console was broken and you should have taken it back too.

It don't understand this. It's a 750 dollar piece of equipment that is not functioning correctly less than 12 months into its life. No matter how big or small the problem is, it's a defective console. It's your right to have it replaced.
PS4 not 5.

And it takes less than an hour to try options 1 and 2. Your replacement took like a week. If it still has issues then yes, definitely take it back.

PS4 not 5.
I know, that comment was more in general.

And it takes less than an hour to try options 1 and 2. Your replacement took like a week. If it still has issues then yes, definitely take it back.
It did, and it was annoying. His PS is currently giving him the option of a temporary fix. What happens when it just stops working all together? He will also be without the PS5 for a week. Why not start the replacement now whilst you have a working PS then go in and swap it over? Its a broken console.

But what happens if step 1 or 2 fixes the issue and it never happens again?

Note the word "if" in that statement and that's where you run the risk.

The question is also, what happens if in trying step 1 or 2, your unit cycles power for the last time?

All you will have lost is time yes, but that could have then been time spent on Quivs solution of "this is an investment on an electrical device, return it for replacement".

PS4 not 5.

TBF, database seems a bit s**t, system can't wake from rest mode when placed in rest mode when an app was open upon closing, immediate reboot to wakefulness prompted an error rebuild. If system cannot even suspend data or close a base app software wise before hibernating, it's unlikely that a rando power loss won't reoccur later. As that kinda shows the unit doesn't talk to all of its parts concisely.

If their suggestion is rebuild the batabase as first step as opposed to the turn it on and off again in "hit factory reset" option, suggests they know their database is a bit stupid and is prone to potential conflicts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back