PS3 Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

Remove this Banner Ad

hmmmm....pretty good price point.

perhaps i will still get it but download it so it stays on the system as i'd be more inclined to play it if it's available at the click of a button.

will probably cancel my pre-order at jb and download it even if it's more expensive on psn store.

Good price, good to see PSN going for parity with retail, I think LBP Karting is the same too.

But I can't go for the download version as I only have 12GB of space left out of 320GB on my console. So I will be grabbing the disc.

and playstation all stars have no history to draw on from :rolleyes:?

how about they just put in characters from unreleased games instead of over 20 years of playstation icons, oh wait they did that

You knew exactly the point I was making, a series like Tekken has had years worth of characters with their own fighting sets and such so there is less work in having such a huge roster. Same with any established fighter SSB included.

Super Smash Bros launched with just 12 characters so you can't go back and be revisionist. With promised DLC characters we should see the roster of 20 grow.

Sony still have plenty of history to base characters on, I like the idea of the games final boss. It's a cool bit of history that I didn't know about until recently.

You knew exactly the point I was making, a series like Tekken has had years worth of characters with their own fighting sets and such so there is less work in having such a huge roster. Same with any established fighter SSB included.

Super Smash Bros launched with just 12 characters so you can't go back and be revisionist. With promised DLC characters we should see the roster of 20 grow.

Sony still have plenty of history to base characters on, I like the idea of the games final boss. It's a cool bit of history that I didn't know about until recently.
Agreed, you can't be expecting a game built from the ground up to come out with a massive roster unless you want it to be delayed and delayed and delayed. Every move here, bar basically 2 characters have had to really be worked out from every aspect of their character. Some moves would obviously come more naturally, but it's still a fair amount of stuff to build.

I would've liked to have seen a few more, but they might come as DLC anyway. Ezio, Crash and Snake probably those that I'd like to see most, Ezio being no.1 on my most wanted list.

Here's the big launch trailer with every character and a glimpse at the final boss (don't watch if you don't want to know - may not know anyway by the glimpse).

smash bros was released 13 years ago, on limited tech and still managed to get 12 characters on its first go.

why is sony using new dante and raiden when they have 20+ years of history to use.

smash bros was released 13 years ago, on limited tech and still managed to get 12 characters on its first go.

why is sony using new dante and raiden when they have 20+ years of history to use.

This one on new tech has 20 characters which is actually really high for a new fighting game.

Sony is using New Dante & Raiden because Capcom & Konami have games coming out in the coming months starring the both of them. Do you really think they want this game reminding their fanbase of the old Dante, when the new one has already proven polarising. This gives people a chance to see how kick ass (in Capcom's mind) the new Dante is.

Raiden is similar in that he has a game coming out, so I don't see why you are surprised that he popped in place of Snake or whoever else you had in mind. If you read through this thread I had been saying he was much more likely to appear than Snake. Hindsight has proven me right in that aspect.

I actually like the idea of Raiden in the game, he should make a better fighter than Snake would and he has an important position in Sony's history. His arrival was one of the bigger change ups in gaming history.

I would've liked to have seen a few more, but they might come as DLC anyway. Ezio, Crash and Snake probably those that I'd like to see most, Ezio being no.1 on my most wanted list.

I think we'll see Connor as DLC for pretty much the same reasons I saw Raiden being more likely than Snake.

New game + Ezio was in Soul Calibur V

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free DLC Characters announced for early next year.

The Good: Free is free.
The Bad: They picked nobodies.

What? Me again? Wasn’t I just here to let you know that PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale had gone gold?
Have you ever wondered what dev teams do after a game goes gold? If all is going well, often times they get down to business with DLC. And in fact that’s exactly what we have begun. I’m here today to announce the first DLC characters that will be joining the All-Stars roster: Kat from Gravity Rush, and Starhawk‘s Emmett Graves!
In addition to the signature weapons you’ll remember from his duels with the Outcasts on Dust, Emmett’s playstyle will also utilize Starhawk’s unique “Build and Battle” system, calling down help from the sky.
Kat’s approach turns gravity on its head with some mind-bending new ways to move as she positions herself for her unique brand of aerial assault. Together, they make up one of the most original duos in All-Stars.
These DLC All-Stars still have a long way to go before they’re ready to be shown off, but we wanted to let you know what the team will be working on now that we’ve gone gold with the main game, and that you can look forward to playing them… for free!

That may sound a little tricky, so let me be clear: once Kat and Emmett are finished, we’ll put them up for download. They’ll be totally free for two weeks. The only limit is that you have a two-week window to claim the characters. Once you have Kat and Emmett, they are yours forever. That may sound like a lot to remember, so don’t worry, we’ll be back closer to their release to remind you of all these details.Yes, you heard that right. We’re very happy to announce these first two DLC characters will be free to everyone for the first two weeks once they are available for download early next year.

Everyone at SuperBot, Bluepoint, and Santa Monica Studio has tried hard not only to make a great game, but also to keep the fans very firmly in mind, offering the most we can wherever we get the chance. So far we’ve offered exclusive free pre-order costumes, an amazing digital version for PS Vita at no cost when you buy the PS3 version, frame-accurate cross-play, and now Kat and Emmett coming soon for free!
We’ll have more information about these characters and more DLC news coming soon, so stay tuned here for more announcements, and thanks again to everyone that has supported us as we prepare to cross the finish line. Come join the party on November 20th as PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale launches, and I’ll see you online!

Emmet Graves: Starhawk

8187534744_b26ea8e0a8.jpg

Kat: Gravity Rush

8186494241_5ed1249324.jpg

Free DLC Characters announced for early next year.

The Good: Free is free.
The Bad: They picked nobodies.
While the people chosen for the free DLC obviously aren't the most well known the world has ever seen.

What they've done is they've chosen 2 characters with some really interesting, unique and potentially awesome moves. Emmet with the Build and Battle stuff could be really awesome to use as a distance player and Kat with the gravity stuff could be awesome aerially.

I think they've chosen a couple of characters with heaps of potential move wise, rather than going down a more cliched path.

Ok, so I've sunk a decent amount of time into the game so far. Begin wall.

First the bad stuff/ issues.

-Sir Dan blows arse in this game. It is so ****ing sad to see them nail his character so well in terms of taunts, intros, outros, costumes and some moves but holy **** he has the worst supers ever. He's probably the worst fighter in the game. He's slow, poor mobility, long start up on his attacks and his attacks don't hit that hard either. I could probably deal with this if he didn't have the worst level 1 in the entire game. I've been using him in unranked but **** me it's a slog. I guess on the flipside a victory with Dan is the most well earned and prestigious in the game.

-The arcade mode is bare bones at best. Nothing is really explained, you get a short voiceover at the start and end of the campaign over stills of your character and a brief rival cutscene near the end which might give you a lul but nothing of substance.

-Menus etc in general are pretty bland and cheap looking.

-Each character gets their own set of combat and combo trials however many of the combos require certain conditions to even land (eg: launch opponent first, have them against a wall etc) which aren't explained to you. The combat trials are the same kind of stuff applied to everyone, which pays no heed to the nuances of the different characters. For example, try landing 4-5 multiple kills with Sir Dan's piece of s**t level 1 in 2 minutes. Having stuff like this sprinkled throughout the single player content often halts any kind of enjoyment and instead turns the game into an exercise of frustration and tedium. My advice is to forget this stuff altogether.

-Some issues from the beta remain. Not being able to hit certain characters, some lag, connection errors, spawning as a character you didn't select.etc This stuff was sprinkled throughout, however it did seem to be less frequent than the beta and I often got into long sessions issue free. Also the doom loop of matchmaking from the beta doesn't seem to have made it into the game thankfully.

-In depth stat tracking was spruiked by the devs and I even remember seeing video of screens full of stats for each character, but this ain't in the game. WTF?

-You can only play ranked matches in 4 player free for all timed, or 2v2 timed. IMO stock is the best, most enjoyable mode but that is unranked only.

--------------

Now the good.

-Keeping in mind all of the above, it is apparent that the devs placed a priority on nailing the gameplay and making it work online, above all else. I can say that they have delivered on their goal. The gameplay is rock solid and enjoyable. It has a decent amount of strategy and depth to it without making it completely inaccessible. Each character handles completely differently with their own unique style (except Cole). The online is some of the finest I've ever seen. You will get occasional issues and some laggy players, but on the whole it is seamless and exemplary. The bar has been set, and I expect GOW to at least match this netcode. Seeing this makes me wonder what the **** happened to LBP online.

-There's a decent amount of unlockables in here. Character specific stuff like intros, taunts etc and profile stuff like background, titles etc.

-Nice variety of stages, and some of the mashups are nice. Uncharted, Bioshock, Killzone are some levels that benefit from mashups. However, the LocoRoco stage goes from awesome and unique to terrible when the Metal Gear mashes in.

-You can easily hop into a match of your choice with the quick match option. Can choose the type and teams or not.

-For invite and offline stuff, there is a s**t ton of customisation in how you set the game up.

-The ranked belt set up has serious potential.

-2v2 stock is an absolute ball. Having a set amount of lives adds an extra amount of tension and strategy to your super management. It can also lead to epic come from behind victories when your partner goes down early and you slug it out with against 2 people on your last life. I must have dodged about 7 level 1's as Sir Dan in a match earlier, killed them twice but fell after about 5 minutes of keep away. No overtime though which gets epic in timed mode.

-As a playstation fan, this game even existing at all is worth tipping your hat to. I've wanted this for a long time and we finally have it.

Bottomline:
Making a mascot brawler from scratch was never going to be easy, but this is a commendable effort with excellent online and fun, addictive gameplay. It is a strong foundation for which hopefully a sequel spawns and the issues (identified above) are ironed out and the strengths built upon.

/wall of text

Wow, that's about as close as you can get to a complete ripoff without being sued I guess! :D

Have a lot of work to do to be better than Smash Bros. There's a few clones out there and they simply don't stack up.

Played a couple hours of this the other day... It's Smash Bros. without the refinement in gameplay or the interesting characters. Put it in the unsuccessful clones bin.

I'd say the characters are interesting, they really dropped the ball though not ponying up the cash for SPyro, Crash & Lara Croft.

Although I reckon Lara will be announced as DLC come January.

Also reckon that refinement will come. What I played in the beta (and will play in the retail release) was some very good steps for this franchise going forward.

It's not Brawl, but I'm going to enjoy it for what it is.

The belt system makes no god damn sense at all. Win a game 6-1, got a +0. Came second another time and lost 10. It seems to factor in opponent belt rank, so if you lose to someone below you, you're ****ed. The matchups are completely random as well.. so it's a complete crapshoot. You can lose 4-5 victories worth of belt in a single loss. WTF? Then add another -10ish for every disconnect error. Needs serious work.

Anyway, based on my experience with some of the characters I can see a tier list already coming together.

This is all IMO, and subject to change through more experience.

Tier S
Raiden-Just ridiculous. Great mobility, fast attacks, easy to combo, can combo BEHIND with no effort, great supers. WEAKNESS: There are none TBH. Maybe a lack of projectiles, but that hardly matters when you can dash across the screen in the blink of an eye. Crowd control isn't the best though.

Sly Cooper-Would be A or B+ if it wasn't for that level 1 super. It is the best in the game, easily. Effortlessly racks up kills with it. Unlock pretty much everyone else, Sly can't get knocked out of his level 1. And it pops immediately. Very OP. Bar that he has some good moves and great mobility, but isn't suited to combos. Invisibility has benefits. WEAKNESS: No block, and thus no dodge roll. Melee heavy characters can beat on him if you don't nail your evades and counters.

Tier A
Kratos-Extremely strong midrange fighter. Has an arsenal full of useful moves and the BOC shred easily through others. If not for the bad level 1 and mediocre level 2 would be S. Extremely pick up and play friendly. Homing chain grab is devastating. Icarus lift in midair can be useful for evading some supers. Combo friendly, and the baddest mother****er in the game. WEAKNESS: Poor level 1 and highly situational level 2.

Tier B
Colonel Radec-A god at long range and useless at up close. Not combo friendly, poor mobility and a lack of a slam move make up a raft of weaknesses. He does however have a trick bag which can keep your enemies at bay. The sniper rifle and lmg are your best friends here. Good versatile selection of supers bump a C character up to B. WEAKNESS: Close range, no combos, mobility etc

Nathan Drake- Drake is similar to Radec only with reversed weaknesses. Drake has great mobility and slam moves, is decent up close but has pedestrian supers. Always barrel. Running AK into rifle butt is your friend. Magnum is basically a short range sniper though it seems to fly over short characters (?). WEAKNESS: Jack of all trades master of none. Supers are merely adequate, not too combo friendly.

Tier C+
Parappa-One on one Parappa can beat some serious arse, and he has great mobility. His skateboard is the best level 2 in the game. His mic grab can usually be chained into his level one for a free kill. Higher learning curve to pull off some of the better combos. Good Parappa's are CONSTANTLY pulling out the boom box whenever they can for a quick 10-20 AP boost. That adds up over a match. WEAKNESS: Complete and utter lack of range and crowd control. Poor level 1 (bar mic grab setup).

Tier D
Sir Dan- Oh Dan, why have they forsaken you? His Level 1 is so bad it will make you want to slap your mama. Extremely sluggish, his moves all seem to have significant start up, and don't build much AP. Whip out his shield can give him a benefit but it slightly alters the dodge input which pisses me off. His shield charge can net you a good 50Ap, but it leaves him wide open to supers. It's the ultimate risk reward move. Has some decent tricks to build super ( dragon breath over crowd, air down square or axerang into free combo and launch) but all is for naught when his level 1 is abysmal and level 2 is a crapshoot. WEAKNESS: Almost everything. You can combo into his level 1 occasionally, but there is an extremely simple technique which will ensure you never, ever get hit by his level 1. I am not posting here because the more people who know about it the shitter Dan gets. Luckily a decent amount of people haven't figured it out yet, or he would be F.

The rest I probably haven't had enough experience with to rank, but from observations I'd say they are around:

-Dante B/B+
-Heihachi D+/C
-Ratchet B+/A
-Sweet Tooth B/B+
-Jak C/C+
-BigDaddy C+/B
-Sackboy B/A

Others don't know.

$59.95 at Dick Smith currently. Amazing value if you have a Vita too.

I'm going to hold off until I get through Far Cry 3 though as this won't be a pressing matter on my gaming schedule, will be more of a jump in for small sessions thing. With Hitman still to finish off (and replay over and over and over and over!!!) and then Far Cry 3 that could take days and days coupled with my sporadic FIFA-ing I need to hold off for a bit longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back