Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Bangers, with it looking more and more likely the bombers will be drafting top 5 this year I'm interested in some KPF options around those early picks. I dont really want another mid unless he is a big point of difference for our midfield because although it's not great it's definitely not the weakest area of our side. Cheers

Hey Bangers, with it looking more and more likely the bombers will be drafting top 5 this year I'm interested in some KPF options around those early picks. I dont really want another mid unless he is a big point of difference for our midfield because although it's not great it's definitely not the weakest area of our side. Cheers
Lemmey's the only one I consider a top 5 talent currently, well developed leading game and the most reliable set shot routine I've seen in a junior.
Tom Scully, Matthew Jefferson and Isaac Keeler are other guys I feel could push up into that top bracket though. Scully and Jefferson we more need to see a good champs from than anything else, they're performing well in their respective State League comps but playing against better defenders will be the real test, I'm also not overly convinced on Scullys ground level work (including follow up from dropped marks) and neither are particularly great on defensive stuff like tackling or chasing opponents. Keeler is all about application, can pick and choose when to go in games which I think is hard to coach out of people, if he improves in that regard he's probably the most talented kid in the pool

Lemmey's the only one I consider a top 5 talent currently, well developed leading game and the most reliable set shot routine I've seen in a junior.
Tom Scully, Matthew Jefferson and Isaac Keeler are other guys I feel could push up into that top bracket though. Scully and Jefferson we more need to see a good champs from than anything else, they're performing well in their respective State League comps but playing against better defenders will be the real test, I'm also not overly convinced on Scullys ground level work (including follow up from dropped marks) and neither are particularly great on defensive stuff like tackling or chasing opponents. Keeler is all about application, can pick and choose when to go in games which I think is hard to coach out of people, if he improves in that regard he's probably the most talented kid in the pool
Interesting, are there any big mids at the top end I see tsatas is 188 but he seems more of an outside type than a bull?

Interesting, are there any big mids at the top end I see tsatas is 188 but he seems more of an outside type than a bull?
There's two in Hewett and Szybkowski, not quite that 190cm that everyone loves as of late, but not short either with both sitting at 186cm currently. A little further down is Kame Bevan at 192 cm, not quite as fast/ quick off the mark as those first two but fills the role well

An exciting addition to my thread for this year, graciously stolen passed on by eDPS, a Rolling Mock Draft! Now please don't take too much from this, the year is young so rankings are naturally all over the place and what each club will be needing by years end will naturally change along with those rankings. From my Point of View, those first 11 Picks were purely putting names to clubs in that range, but from there onwards it became a lot more difficult just because of how many kids are looking good early on, as they start to put themselves into positions ranking wise it'll get easier, but there were about 20 kids in total I considered from the picks of Bevan to Gilbey

View attachment 1377213
* I apparently got the order of West Coast and Essendon wrong, so now as fans you have the freedom of deciding whether you want to swap the players selected or keep the on you ended up with, enjoy 🤗
When are you posting the next rolling mock?

Gippsland Power vs Dandenong Stingrays

Went along to watch with 2 undefeated teams to see how Gippsland boys matched up. Dominant second half by Power with a lot of scores set up from rebound 50.

Howe (ruck) dominated the tap work and worked hard around the ground
Humphrey (mid) dominant inside the contest, great leader
Walton (mid) overage player who racked up a heap of touches - classy
Konstanty (forward) 3 goals in 3 minutes in outstanding burst. Forward pressure outstanding
Scholtes (back) zoned off well, good user coming out, mopped up well
Schuback (back) attacking half back, likes to link up.

By: Declan Reeve

Calder Cannons:

#8 Rye Penny

Penny played a difficult role through the day, filling in as an under-sized key defender. Despite only being 4 games into the season, Penny has already become well known for his marking and run out of the backline, possessing a big leap and good dash of speed, Penny continued to fly for every mark he could, and look to break open the game with his dash. Whilst Penny’s use by foot was occasionally unconvincing, when Penny has time to assess his options he hits his targets well.

#13 Michael Ktona

The primary ball winner for Calder through the day, Ktona at times was the sole roadblock for the Oakleigh midfielders around stoppages, consistently cracking in hard and trying to win first possession and get the ball moving forward with a long kick. Ktona worked hard to get involved in open play as well, making short and smart leads around the ground to allow Calder to gain territory bit by bit.

#27 Paul Pascu

Pascu had some moments of pure brilliance through the clash, showing off his burst of speed from congestion with some impressive clearances from the center. Pascu continued to show off his high level workrate, regularly getting down back to assist in defense, and then working just as hard to get forward and involve himself in link up chains. Pascu was clean with the ball and hard at it all game, cracking in to win hard balls and generally using it well by hand to get it to runners.

#28 Jamieson Jarvis

A smart and versatile player, Jarvis managed to pop up at some crucial times and use the ball well, finding teammates in good spots and generally making the best decisions available to him. Jarvis was smart on the lead and in marking contests, finding little spots to lead to or using his body well one-on-one to get his opponents off balance.

Oakleigh Chargers:

#1 Elijah Tsatas

The pick one contender continued his hot start to the season with another exceptional performance. Tsatas possesses a burst of speed unlike any other prospect and he wasn’t afraid to back that in to burn off opponents with ball in hand and get into space to deliver the ball well forward. Tsatas showed some finesse with his kicking at times, able to change angles quickly and hit targets in more central areas of the ground, even under pressure. Tsatas got a move to the inside from the wing in final term and continued to shine, showing he’s not one to shy away from contested ball, and continued to show off his burst from the congestion.

#4 Matthew Jefferson

Just an all round exceptional performance from the tall, the highlight of Jefferson’s game was his marking and leading. As the deepest target, Jefferson was often looked for by teammates when they had the ball inside 50 and stuck some impressive grabs, able to just stick his arms up in the middle of packs and hold the ball at times. Another impressive aspect of Jefferson’s game was his work when the ball was in Calders forward half, Jefferson moved up the ground aggressively to be a link up marking option, taking some grabs higher up the ground in transition and finding ways to get separation on his leads. Jefferson ended the day 3 goals and 1 behind on the scoreboard, but could have ended with a higher tally had it not been for some wayward kicking and unselfishness in the forward half, giving a couple off and having some not make the distance.

#5 George Wardlaw

Wardlaw started the game on fire, winning the first clearance of the game and beautifully hitting up a leading forward by foot. How comfortable Wardlaw is with taking contact is a big part of his game and sets him up well for the future, showing this off with an early clearance where he held the ball with one hand whilst copping a heavy bump, then dribbling it out for a teammate to run onto. Wardlaw continued to do everything well, taking marks, even a speccy, working hard in transition and winning the ball in the contest. Recovering from an illness, in the second half of the game it seemed Wardlaw was more heavily rotated, but still impacted the contest when he was on in the same ways he always does.

#9 Luke Teal

In his first game of the season, Teal took some time to work into the game making a few skill errors early, but once he had warmed into the contest he showed what many would have expected from the National Academy Member. Teal was mostly solid by foot after the first quarter and looked to move the ball quickly when he won it, often playing on from his marks to move it to teammates in space. Teal positioned well all game and intercepted when the ball came in his area, pushing up the ground more and more as the contest went on to intercept the ball closer to the forward 50. Teal showed some real class and composure under pressure at times, with a handball chain off the halfback line early on standing out in particular.

#13 Nathan Philactides

The bottom-ager took yet another step up in this game, winning a season high 19 disposals as he looked to use it more aggressively than he has done in the past. Philactides continued to take on the game with his speed and agility and use it well by foot, generally looking for safer options but at times looking to centre it going forward.

#33 Alwyn Davey Jnr

Although ending the day with 14 disposals, many would’ve walked away from the game thinking Davey won the most of the ball on the ground given his impact. Davey spent essentially the whole game on the ball and was damaging with every touch, particularly out of stoppages where he found releasing handball options well, drawing in opponents to relieve his targets of pressure. Davey had a couple of moments of pure brilliance when it came to getting around opponents, with a couple of candy sells and quick bursts to get away from an opponent on the mark, but the highlight without a doubt came as he played on from a free kick, took a couple of bounces running forward and hit a leading teammate perfectly.

PMBangers do you think luke teal could turn into a mid at a AFLclub or will he stay a defender
He's got some good traits to suggest he could be a Mid and has played through the guts at U17 Metro level, but it could be a case of him being too good in the backline to move. He's a strong mark and positions really well, for a player his size his aerial game is really strong, I think thats too valuable down back unless he's an A+ grade midfielder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's got some good traits to suggest he could be a Mid and has played through the guts at U17 Metro level, but it could be a case of him being too good in the backline to move. He's a strong mark and positions really well, for a player his size his aerial game is really strong, I think thats too valuable down back unless he's an A+ grade midfielder
Do these u18 national champs have 19 yr olds allowed to play or is it just u18’s this year?

WA often pick project players as their 19 year olds for state squads.

I can see powerhouse medium (185/186) forward Richard Bartlett (S) being given an opportunity now that he appears to be fully committed. While some may think he is a bit on the heavy side it doesn't seem to slow him down much.

And I think the scouts would love to see how ruckman (196) Sokaa Soka (EP) does now that he is maturing into a top flight colts player. He was marking really well on the weekend and although short by ruck standards of today can outleap bigger players.

Both are very exciting.

They might consider small forward Jack Demarte as well.

A few 2004 kids also putting their hand up who from memory weren't part of the 17's squad last year - Reuben Ginbey (EP defender), Ethan Barbieri (S defender), Michael Durack (SD wing/mid), Tom Smith (SD ruck), Daniel Gathercole (WP defender), Fletcher Netherway (CL mid), Mitch Barron (CL mid), Connor McDonald (P mid), Joel Rush (PT mid)

1651035236130.png
For 2022 Angus has played across 3 swans programs - AFL ( pre-season trail game v GWS) squad during the week, VFL (2 games most tackles on the ground v Port Melbourne, 10 tackles) and 2 Academy games

Angus stats from his last Academy game

GWV REBELS 13.9 (87) DEF. SYDNEY ACADEMY 7.14 (56)

136 points – Angus Anderson (Sydney Academy)

130 points – Aaron Cadman (GWV Rebels)

121 points – Jordan Endemann (Sydney Academy)

118 points – Charlie Molan (GWV Rebels)

115 points – William White (GWV Rebels)

#27 Angus Anderson

The Swans over-ager was by far the most prolific ball-winner, amassing 28 touches and just doing his third across four quarters. He managed to hit the scoreboard in the third term off a step with a great snap, breaking the drought of the Swans who had not managed a major since the first three goals of the game. He was fierce around the stoppages and tried to lift his side across the game, working hard both ways to cover the ground in the defensive half, then get forward and create avenues to score in transition. Finished the match with an impressive 28 disposals, six marks, six tackles, three inside 50s, five rebound 50s and a goal.

Charlie Molan (GWV Rebels) – 25 disposals, 8 marks, 1 goal
Aaron Cadman (GWV Rebels) – 14 disposals, 6 marks, 3 goals
Beau Tedcastle (GWV Rebels) – 10 disposals, 3 marks, 4 goals
Angus Anderson (Swans Academy) – 28 disposals, 6 marks, 6 tackles, 1 goal
Jordan Endemann (Swans Academy) – 17 disposals, 4 marks, 2 goals
Will Edwards (Swans Academy) – 14 disposals, 5 marks, 6 rebound 50s

Don’t forget about this kid still 18 years old, 190 cm inside animal. I watched his game live in Melbourne on the weekend .was an standout performer across the 2 teams. he is smart skilful and makes good decisions under pressure wins his own ball ..

Just some tidbits from the other games I saw parts of over the weekend;
Oliver Hollands is a bit of a tricky one for me at the moment, came into the year as a clear top 10 prospect but hasn't been overly convincing in his two games so far, winning a bit of it but I'm somewhat concerned on his kicking under pressure, to me he plays like a first possession winner in the midfield but I don't think that'll translate at the next level. It's pedantic though given his skillset is transferable as an outside leaning mid, hope to see him get to show that off more in champs. Brayden George is obviously good, liking what I'm seeing from him more and more, and Max Clohesy is one I'm watching closely going into the next couple of weeks, didn't realise that he was as clean as he is with the ball. Not much to take out in terms of Northern, Edmends and Harvey remain their only two 2022 draftable kids imo, but both are shaping as more 40+ picks for me currently

Sandy v Tassie was a blowout, Sheezel had that big day we were expecting but I've liked him as a top prospect through the lesser weeks as well, he's getting a lot of attention from opposition and that's allowed other guys like Hall-Kahan and Hope to hit the scoreboard more regularly, but he's maintained his efforts and leading patterns well throughout. I don't think he'll ever be a full time mid at the next level but he's got some really solid attributes to pinch hit in there, surprisingly hard at winning the ball and quick with his hands. Charlie Clarke has looked good with a more forward focused role, he's just manic in his approach and he's arguably the top pressure small forward currently in Victoria at the very least, will be interesting to see how he goes with APS footy on, will give him more midfield opportunities despite the likes of Ashcroft and Benton not being effected by it, I liked what I saw of Lachlan Cowan as well, has pretty much just taken over that Sam Banks role as an aggressive halfback, but I think his defensive game is stronger, making him a good two way running option.

Nick Madden will be an interesting player in this draft, he's absolutely beating up on smaller opposition in the NAB League but his ruck craft is actually pretty good and he does the basics of being a marking option around the ground and filling in the hole behind the ball well. If athleticism isn't a requirement for a club when looking for a ruck, he's one of the better prospects in the draft, but has a long way to go endurance wise. Luke Lawrence and Harry Rowston also impressive as draft age talents for GWS, I think Lawrence is our leading prospect with Curry not too far behind so will be interesting to see how we go matching any possible bids given we've got some pretty big needs in the front half that I think both these guys could fill. Jason Gillbee is probably a top 30 prospect at this rate for Bendigo, just does a lot right and the things that need improvement (mainly disposal under pressure) are easily enough covered up depending on role at the next level, I think he'll be a winger long term and generally as long as those types are good at kicking at pace they'll be ok.

Geelong are a team that bats deep, looked comprehensive against NT even without Clohesy or Clark. Riccardi is another impressing me more and more each week, seems to be finding the groove a bit and winning it more, as well as impacting the scoreboard. Northam is an exciting prospect, which isn't big news but a 195cm guy that is essentially a midfielder with how he plays is amazing. He won't be a ruck at the next level though, so would love to see him up forward for more extended stints to see how he looks up there as a top ager
Was keen for GC to pair up Ollie and Elijah but your report makes him sound like the last kinda midfielder we need!

Just some tidbits from the other games I saw parts of over the weekend;
Oliver Hollands is a bit of a tricky one for me at the moment, came into the year as a clear top 10 prospect but hasn't been overly convincing in his two games so far, winning a bit of it but I'm somewhat concerned on his kicking under pressure, to me he plays like a first possession winner in the midfield but I don't think that'll translate at the next level. It's pedantic though given his skillset is transferable as an outside leaning mid, hope to see him get to show that off more in champs. Brayden George is obviously good, liking what I'm seeing from him more and more, and Max Clohesy is one I'm watching closely going into the next couple of weeks, didn't realise that he was as clean as he is with the ball. Not much to take out in terms of Northern, Edmends and Harvey remain their only two 2022 draftable kids imo, but both are shaping as more 40+ picks for me currently

Sandy v Tassie was a blowout, Sheezel had that big day we were expecting but I've liked him as a top prospect through the lesser weeks as well, he's getting a lot of attention from opposition and that's allowed other guys like Hall-Kahan and Hope to hit the scoreboard more regularly, but he's maintained his efforts and leading patterns well throughout. I don't think he'll ever be a full time mid at the next level but he's got some really solid attributes to pinch hit in there, surprisingly hard at winning the ball and quick with his hands. Charlie Clarke has looked good with a more forward focused role, he's just manic in his approach and he's arguably the top pressure small forward currently in Victoria at the very least, will be interesting to see how he goes with APS footy on, will give him more midfield opportunities despite the likes of Ashcroft and Benton not being effected by it, I liked what I saw of Lachlan Cowan as well, has pretty much just taken over that Sam Banks role as an aggressive halfback, but I think his defensive game is stronger, making him a good two way running option.

Nick Madden will be an interesting player in this draft, he's absolutely beating up on smaller opposition in the NAB League but his ruck craft is actually pretty good and he does the basics of being a marking option around the ground and filling in the hole behind the ball well. If athleticism isn't a requirement for a club when looking for a ruck, he's one of the better prospects in the draft, but has a long way to go endurance wise. Luke Lawrence and Harry Rowston also impressive as draft age talents for GWS, I think Lawrence is our leading prospect with Curry not too far behind so will be interesting to see how we go matching any possible bids given we've got some pretty big needs in the front half that I think both these guys could fill. Jason Gillbee is probably a top 30 prospect at this rate for Bendigo, just does a lot right and the things that need improvement (mainly disposal under pressure) are easily enough covered up depending on role at the next level, I think he'll be a winger long term and generally as long as those types are good at kicking at pace they'll be ok.

Geelong are a team that bats deep, looked comprehensive against NT even without Clohesy or Clark. Riccardi is another impressing me more and more each week, seems to be finding the groove a bit and winning it more, as well as impacting the scoreboard. Northam is an exciting prospect, which isn't big news but a 195cm guy that is essentially a midfielder with how he plays is amazing. He won't be a ruck at the next level though, so would love to see him up forward for more extended stints to see how he looks up there as a top ager

Only just saw this . Riccardi being short ..do you think he has the attributes for the next level.?

It’s great to see Ashcroft getting he’s chance at VFL this weekend he’s already rated at pick 1 by Twomey he thinks he’s going to dominate and would already be playing with the Lions at AFL level if he was eligible this season as someone who only saw him play once last year can’t wait to see him play

I can see powerhouse medium (185/186) forward Richard Bartlett (S) being given an opportunity now that he appears to be fully committed. While some may think he is a bit on the heavy side it doesn't seem to slow him down much.
At over a kilo per centimetre I'd say he's way on the heavy side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back