Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Describe some of your favourite highlights of the match 🥰
Oh, there are just too many to choose from, I was just happy to see him doing what he does on another level ❤

View attachment 1461983
Things are somewhat clearer but at the same time fuzzier after the Champs. I think I can pretty comfortably say the tiers for me are as follows
Tier 1; Wardlaw, Ashcroft, Sheezel
Tier 2; Tsatas, Phillipou, Clark, Cadman, Busslinger, Mackenzie
Tier 3; Hewett, Jefferson, Hollands, Keeler, Szybkowski, Fletcher, Hustwaite, Humphrey, Barnett, Gilbey, Konstanty

Those included that aren't in those 3 tiers make up the next tier with a few others like Sadler, Cowan, Michalanny, Clarke and Jones, hoping that finals in various leagues will see some big performances to help with clarity, but overall I'm a little more optimistic about the depth in this draft than I was prior to the champs, I still think there'll be a lot of busts but there's a real evenness that means recruiters will be earning their money
What's happened to Scully

Young player, late Nov birthday. Started the season with a bang and showed what he can do. Good mobility for someone 6 foot 8 and strong overhead, plus a lovely kick of the footy. Then had some illness followed by some quieter form. Playing school footy now at a Div2 school which probably hasn't helped him. I expect multiple clubs will be interested in him and recognise he is going to need a couple of preseasons to develop his frame but has the potential to be a dangerous AFL footballer at his height and with his skill set.

I think a lot of people went early on him without seeing him play
A little of the above, I was sceptical even after watching his best games but went with benefit of the doubt due to what his potential is, but I find he higher I rate a prospect the more critical I get and started noticing Scully wasn't that great in contested marking, body positioning and often double grabbed at his marks regardless of pressure. Then his game for SA v NSW/ACT was a bit of a wake up call in terms of how much his height isn't necessarily an advantage yet, he got outbodied and outplayed by a 190 cm player, granted it was a wet day but it looked like he almost stopped presenting by the end.

I still think there's an AFL quality player there with the right development, I'm just a lot less confident that we'll see it come through and that's why he's dropped for me

I missed that one. Didn’t even know he played VFL before injury.
AFL Academy game against Pies' VFL team. See the notes here:

#7 George Wardlaw (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Midfielder | 18/07/2004 | 182cm | 81kg

The recipient of the MCC Presidents Medal as the best player afield for the Academy side, Wardlaw once more put out an impressive and complete display in the midfield. Whilst not as influential as he usually is in the first half, Wardlaw was still impressive with his ability to win the ball in-tight and quickly feed it out via hand, even when being brought down in a tackle. He also got involved in open play as he managed to find space to be used as a marking option or outside receiver. It was Wardlaw’s third quarter that really caught the eye however, with a more extended run through the midfield, as he started to work into the game in the ways we’ve come to expect. His tackling and contested ball winning ability stood out in particular. Whilst many would expect a player like Wardlaw to be somewhat scrappy with his disposal given how often he wins it under pressure, his cleanliness both by hand and foot once again stood out as he spotted some superb kicks forward through packs that many others wouldn’t have attempted. Wardlaw got to show off his athleticism a few times throughout, with a his bursts from stoppages impressing early, but his ability to evade multiple opponents whilst moving at full speed arguably moreso. Wardlaw got to show off his leap later in the game, taking an impressive mark in the middle of the ground where he managed to get up on an opponent’s shoulders and rise above the pack. As is typical of Wardlaw, his tackling work was superb all game, with a few holding the ball free kicks being taken advantage of by teammates to get the ball moving forward quickly.

AFL Academy game against Pies' VFL team. See the notes here:

#7 George Wardlaw (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Midfielder | 18/07/2004 | 182cm | 81kg

The recipient of the MCC Presidents Medal as the best player afield for the Academy side, Wardlaw once more put out an impressive and complete display in the midfield. Whilst not as influential as he usually is in the first half, Wardlaw was still impressive with his ability to win the ball in-tight and quickly feed it out via hand, even when being brought down in a tackle. He also got involved in open play as he managed to find space to be used as a marking option or outside receiver. It was Wardlaw’s third quarter that really caught the eye however, with a more extended run through the midfield, as he started to work into the game in the ways we’ve come to expect. His tackling and contested ball winning ability stood out in particular. Whilst many would expect a player like Wardlaw to be somewhat scrappy with his disposal given how often he wins it under pressure, his cleanliness both by hand and foot once again stood out as he spotted some superb kicks forward through packs that many others wouldn’t have attempted. Wardlaw got to show off his athleticism a few times throughout, with a his bursts from stoppages impressing early, but his ability to evade multiple opponents whilst moving at full speed arguably moreso. Wardlaw got to show off his leap later in the game, taking an impressive mark in the middle of the ground where he managed to get up on an opponent’s shoulders and rise above the pack. As is typical of Wardlaw, his tackling work was superb all game, with a few holding the ball free kicks being taken advantage of by teammates to get the ball moving forward quickly.
Sorry, I thought you meant he played a game for the Pies VFL team.

Yeah, one of the West Coast posters raves about his performance in that game.

View attachment 1461983
Things are somewhat clearer but at the same time fuzzier after the Champs. I think I can pretty comfortably say the tiers for me are as follows
Tier 1; Wardlaw, Ashcroft, Sheezel
Tier 2; Tsatas, Phillipou, Clark, Cadman, Busslinger, Mackenzie
Tier 3; Hewett, Jefferson, Hollands, Keeler, Szybkowski, Fletcher, Hustwaite, Humphrey, Barnett, Gilbey, Konstanty

Those included that aren't in those 3 tiers make up the next tier with a few others like Sadler, Cowan, Michalanny, Clarke and Jones, hoping that finals in various leagues will see some big performances to help with clarity, but overall I'm a little more optimistic about the depth in this draft than I was prior to the champs, I still think there'll be a lot of busts but there's a real evenness that means recruiters will be earning their money
Is Cadman a sneaky chance for pick 1?

Watching more footage of him, he has so many appealing attributes.

Size, athleticism, inside 50 smarts, great work ethic, pressures like a smaller player and can clunk the ball in contests. North really need a tall forward too imo.

Big call, but he reminds of a young JK in some ways, particularly his defensive efforts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Size, athleticism, inside 50 smarts, great work ethic, pressures like a smaller player and can clunk the ball in contests. North really need a tall forward too imo.

Big call, but he reminds of a young JK in some ways, particularly his defensive efforts.
I heard this same comparison made earlier today by chance...By a media cohort.

1563fdcdd1a1be8d806575f2b7950c11.gif

I'm Cadman's biggest fan but even I don't think he's in that conversation unless something changes. He's got good form on the board but KPP's have to be essentially faultless to go that early and I can't help but feel that his goalkicking and already well filled frame will be question marks for clubs at the next level.

I think the earliest he could go would be at GWS's first pick given our void of KPF talent, but even then I'm not convinced we'd overlook a Tsatas/ Clark for him

I'm Cadman's biggest fan but even I don't think he's in that conversation unless something changes. He's got good form on the board but KPP's have to be essentially faultless to go that early and I can't help but feel that his goalkicking and already well filled frame will be question marks for clubs at the next level.

I think the earliest he could go would be at GWS's first pick given our void of KPF talent, but even then I'm not convinced we'd overlook a Tsatas/ Clark for him
I wouldn't call Schache, Thilthorpe, JUH, Boyd and Patton faultless.

Personally, after Ashcroft, I have a hard time separating Tsatas, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Clark and Cadman. I can see clubs feeling the same way.

What player in that range is going to haunt us for a decade.
All of them

I think that range has quite a few that Adelaide could do with more than a small forward tbh, Tsatas (speed in the midfield), Cadman (promising KPF partner to TT) and Phillipou (SA local, impactful forward) would all be players that'd be better list fits, but maybe there'll be other trades to address some of thise, and next years pool isn't short of quality players either

Why is the Academy going backwards PM?
🤷‍♀️

It'd be a combination of a few things, I think the main one is that no amount of training at a high standard can substitute for playing in a high standard competition, and there's just not many of those in NSW juniors compared to more traditional footy states. With the exception of Tom Green and maybe Himmelberg, most of our Academy selections have taken some time to break into the best 22 because of this, and those that have been more immediately brought in have spent time boarding in Vic, and I reckon the jump from what they're used to plays a decent part in that.

Any worries of Sheezel or Tsatas being flight risks?
Without knowing either of them, i don't think so.

But I've always maintained that i don't think it should be something clubs stress too much about, if you don't back yourself to win a kid over in the space of 2 years, you shouldn't have an AFL license

Remove this Banner Ad

Back