Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

What would a good AFL player comparison be for some of thez top talents ceiling's?
  • Wardlaw?
  • Sheezle?
  • Tsatas?
Roughly:

Wardlaw = More polished Jai Newcomb? Athletic Luke Parker? He's a very difficult player to get a comparison for.
Sheezel = Zac Bailey, Toby Greene, taller Dylan Moore.
Tsatas = Hugh McCluggage, Bit of James Hird about him.

Roughly:

Wardlaw = More polished Jai Newcomb? Athletic Luke Parker? He's a very difficult player to get a comparison for.
Sheezel = Zac Bailey, Toby Greene, taller Dylan Moore.
Tsatas = Hugh McCluggage, Bit of James Hird about him.
Wardlaw = shorter Oliver sort
Tsatas = more explosive, less classy Josh Kelly

Sam Gilbey broke his leg on the weekend his fibia
How does this effect his drafting didn't look good ?
I wanted WCE to grab him and was very confident he would be at WCE until this injury

Sam Gilbey broke his leg on the weekend his fibia
How does this effect his drafting didn't look good ?
I wanted WCE to grab him and was very confident he would be at WCE until this injury
I guess a lot depends on the severity of the break, and what surgery is required to repair the break.

From memory, Jye Simpkin broke his leg pretty bad at the beginning of his top age year.

Without knowing either of them, i don't think so.

But I've always maintained that i don't think it should be something clubs stress too much about, if you don't back yourself to win a kid over in the space of 2 years, you shouldn't have an AFL license
The initial contract should be a mandatory 4 year deal.

If the player like say a Horne-Francis is unsettled he has more time to adapt to new surroundings, make friends, become more independent and mature.

Consequently if a highly rated player is not settling even after year 2 the club that holds him has more leverage then it currently has where players are not only asking to be traded but nominating the club where they want to go. No player should have that right after such a short time in the system.

The AFL and it’s players need to decide if they want to be a fully fledged national competition and if they are mature enough to take on more things from the USA where they have emulated this system for equalization.

It is currently horribly in favour of the players, which only makes recruitment more unfair for interstate clubs, particularly the small new minnows.

It’s all good and well to say back your systems but the resources GWS have to support that fall a fair way short of established clubs like Sydney, West Coast, Adelaide etc. 2 years is not a lot of time when dealing with 18yo’s.

It is time the Player’s Association and AFL got together to address this matter. Everybody keeps talking about it being unfair but nobody does anything about it.

If players want the big dollars garnered from a National Competition they need to fully embrace the notion and spirit of that competition and create an environment that is more fair to all.

Otherwise call GWS and GSC Development Clubs and let us invest our time into other sports where there is genuine hope.

Hey PMBangers
Do you see Cadman going top 5 at all?

I imagine the Giants and Bombers would both see him as a need
Yeah he's one that has to be in consideration, even without any form against strong KPDs it's hard to argue against his production and work rate, and I've said before I think goal kicking is something that can be fixed in a full time environment

Yeah he's one that has to be in consideration, even without any form against strong KPDs it's hard to argue against his production and work rate, and I've said before I think goal kicking is something that can be fixed in a full time environment

Hopefully if I post it here, someone else will do the work for me...but how many players have actually fixed something like goal kicking at the top level? Or are we talking more going from below average to average - which isn't really a high bar given 60% accuracy is basically considered elite these days.

Hopefully if I post it here, someone else will do the work for me...but how many players have actually fixed something like goal kicking at the top level? Or are we talking more going from below average to average - which isn't really a high bar given 60% accuracy is basically considered elite these days.
At the Lions, Dan McStay has definitely improved.

There was a big discussion on our board a couple of years back, about how McStay was working with Johnny Wilkinson’s (British rugby union international who was famous for being an accurate kick) kicking coach, who used the spend half his year in Brisbane (and half in the UK).

It’s quite noticeable that McStay is a far improved kick for goal the past two seasons.

I can only recall one club bringing in outside help for a goal kicker, and that was the Saints. Peter Hudson brought in th help Stewie Lowe, which he did.
Essendon did it with Lloyd and Daniher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy Franklin - 1043gls 726behinds - 59%
Max King - 107gls 91behinds - 54%
Harry McKay - 172gls 119behinds - 59%
Tom Hawkins - 720gls 404behinds - 64%
Jeremy Cameron - 525gls 293behinds - 64%
Charlie Curnow - 141 gls 84 behinds - 62.6%
Tom Lynch - 439gls 264behinds - 62.4%
Peter Wright - 164gls 85behinds - 65.8%
Aaron Naughton - 144gls 104behinds - 58%
Mitch Lewis - 84gls 44behinds - 65.6%
Ben King - 89gls 54behinds - 62.2%

Levi Casbault improved out of sight while he had Anthony Rocca coaching him at Carlton.
Jobe Watson improved a lot during his career, more field kicking with goal kicking a by product

Levi Casbault improved out of sight while he had Anthony Rocca coaching him at Carlton.
Jobe Watson improved a lot during his career, more field kicking with goal kicking a by product
Nah he only improved because of the drugs, remember? That's what everyone was saying, it must be true?

Josh Kennedy 64.8%
Jack Riewoldt 62.6%

Darcy Fogarty 80 gls 29 behinds 73.39%

Wardlaw = shorter Oliver sort
Tsatas = more explosive, less classy Josh Kelly
I agree with the Oliver comparison for Wardlaw.
Tsatas reminds me of Gaff in 2018 when he played as an on baller
Sheezel = Steve Johnson, just a beautiful user of the ball with eyes in the back of his head.

Great thread this year PMBangers, keep up the good work

Darcy Fogarty 80 gls 29 behinds 73.39%
Fogarty is a very good shot on goal, but his career is still in its infancy. Hopefully he can maintain this conversion rate, stay healthy and kick over 500 goals across his career.

Tony Lockett had a goal kicking percentage of 69.7%
Peter Hudson was 68.8%
Matthew Lloyd - 68.6%
Daniel Bradshaw - 67.3%
Doug Wade - 66.9%
Michael Roach - 66.4%
Jason Dunstall - 66.1%
Fraser Gehrig - 65.8%
Tony Modra - 65.6%
Eddie Betts - 65.2%
Peter McKenna - 65.0%

Luke Breust has kicked 481 goals at 68.4%

Every player besides Breust kicked over 500 goals and had a conversion rate over 65%. These are the only players in AFL history that meet this criteria, with no current players achieving the mark. The Under 18's and other development leagues desperately need to employ some of these former players to coach kids coming through on how to convert their opportunities on goal before this skill is lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back