Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

On the sailing trivium, similarly the two points on the globe where you can sail in a straight line for the longest without hitting land is shown here:

the-longest-straight-line-you-can-sail-in-the-world.jpg

I stole this from this article which is pretty interesting if I do say so myself.

Pretty sure its not crap

That is to say I watched a well produced doco on Discovery about it (it was basically about numbers and how high they go aka never end) and a large portion of it was spent on the googol plex and googol plex to the power or 1, 2, 3 etc

And they did say at one point you couldnt write down a googol plex in the observable universe, not enough space

Basically there are less than a googol plex atoms in the universe which is an easier way to look at it

Whether that counts for space where there are no atoms I cant remember. But I do remember there were a lot more atoms required to get to a googol plex anyway

Pretty sure its not crap

That is to say I watched a well produced doco on Discovery about it (it was basically about numbers and how high they go aka never end) and a large portion of it was spent on the googol plex and googol plex to the power or 1, 2, 3 etc

And they did say at one point you couldnt write down a googol plex in the observable universe, not enough space

Basically there are less than a googol plex atoms in the universe which is an easier way to look at it

Whether that counts for space where there are no atoms I cant remember. But I do remember there were a lot more atoms required to get to a googol plex anyway

inb4anotheronewordrebuttal

edit: there's also a BBC doco - "BBC Horizon: Infinity". Mind bending.

On the sailing trivium, similarly the two points on the globe where you can sail in a straight line for the longest without hitting land is shown here:

the-longest-straight-line-you-can-sail-in-the-world.jpg

I stole this from this article which is pretty interesting if I do say so myself.
How is that wavey line a straight line?

How is that wavey line a straight line?

I think it may account for the curvature of the earth, so from the ground you're going dead straight but as the earth turns and you roll around the hemisphere the lines drags accross like its curving

I think it may account for the curvature of the earth, so from the ground you're going dead straight but as the earth turns and you roll around the hemisphere the lines drags accross like its curving

Quivorir still believes the Earth is flat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The warping of the map at the polar regions is the best bit. Makes Greenland look about twice the size of Australia when it's actually about a third of the size. And makes it seem like far more than two and a bit Australias would fit into Russia.

Halloween was originally a Irish day to celebrate those who had died in the past year and when they migrated to the US it grew legs and so the kids werent scared they gave them sweets and thus "trick or treat?" was born.

Or so I was told anyway.

No, but I don't know any millionaires either, doesn't mean they don't exist.
how many course adjustments from tide, current, storms and wind do you think they'd make in all those miles? A Straight line is impossible.

An obscure fact about an obscure fact.

Talking of parallels and useless trivia, did you know that the length of the 60th parallels, both north and south, is only half that of the equator? Something to do with the bulging of the planet supposedly.
Not quite. If the earth was a perfect sphere then the they would be, that's simple trigonometry. But because the earth is slightly flattened at the poles it's a little off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back