• Nigel Lappin

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 102 47.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss was top shelf, but Aker was an out and out freak.

The other two absolute guns, but a rung below the first two. Black maybe a bit closer than Lappin.

Voss. Sheer power.
Probably the best long ranged handballer in the history of the AFL. I remembered a game where he had a handball that went at least 40m. There's also a video on youtube where Vossy kicked a set shot drop punt from 65-70m out that went through the goals at post height. That's extraordinary.

Voss was top shelf, but Aker was an out and out freak.

The other two absolute guns, but a rung below the first two. Black maybe a bit closer than Lappin.
Seriously underrating Black there. He was an out and out gun. Top shelf. Absolutely for me up there with aker and voss. Fair bit of daylight to Lappin really. He was a great player but clearly a level below the other 3.

Seriously underrating Black there. He was an out and out gun. Top shelf. Absolutely for me up there with aker and voss. Fair bit of daylight to Lappin really. He was a great player but clearly a level below the other 3.
Daylight to Lappin, didn't see him play ?? Run and carry very important. Probably averaged over 25 possessions a game. Wasn't called the fab four for nothing, great footballers all of them, complimented each other.

Daylight to Lappin, didn't see him play ?? Run and carry very important. Probably averaged over 25 possessions a game. Wasn't called the fab four for nothing, great footballers all of them, complimented each other.
Of course i saw him play. He was a great player in a great team. Just saying he was the 4th best of those 4 and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. To me the other 3 were on another level, all of them could have been the best player in a top 4 team in their own right. Not sure you can say the same about Lappin. No disgrace to be a level below the rest. He had an awesome career.

Name/Games/Brownlow votes/accolades over the 4 year period

Black/101 games/77 votes/2002 Brownlow, 2003 Norm Smith
Voss/96 games/65 votes/unlucky not to win 2002 Norm Smith
Akermanis/96 games/48 votes/2001 Brownlow Medal, sealer in 2002 Grand Final when on one leg
Lappin/90 games/45 votes

In that order, and I reckon there is a clear gap between each player if we are judging them only over that 4 year period. The biggest gap between Aker and Lappin, and that is no blight on Lappin.

For what it's worth, the order above was my gut feel, and supported when I looked up the stats.

I reckon Black is one of the most underrated players in the history of football. I can never understand how he is consistently rated below Voss and Aker. He is number one of that group over his career as well as much as for longevity as for pure brilliance.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd rate Lappin ahead of Buckley?
Buckley never won a premiership with broken ribs

depositphotos_11362659-stock-photo-man-shrugs-shoulders.jpg

Back