• Charlie Dixon

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Going co-captains is a lazy and weak decision that will impair our ability to win games because at least one of the captains has been forced onto the playing group. We're already at a disadvantage and it's a month before the season starts.

My view on the captaincy is that a pair of capable leading players being captain and vice-captain can do the same as what a pair of co-captains can do. The majority of whatever you throw up to debate will apply as equally to both cases. Yes, even a captain and vice-captain combination can be successful ... in case you have forgotten due to the recent conditioning you have received.

With co captains there is the potential for problems because no matter the two players annointed they will not have equal views, ethos, decision making and message on all fronts and their acceptance of standards could differ. It is unnecessary to be breaking a tradition for co captains

Outsiders such as KG this morning called the tradition of the captain wearing number 1 as childish. Now this goose is older than most of us, umpired gazillions of Port games, been struck with slabs of pink and eaten more hats than anybody in SA mostly due to Port Adelaide doing the unexpected on the football field BUT HE STILL DOESN'T GET IT. He DOESN’T UNDERSTAND PORT's SUCCESS. None of them embrace our ways and traditions and standards because their clubs didn't have them, and so they don't get it.
The day I care about KGs opinion I'm checking out.

Going co-captains is a lazy and weak decision that will impair our ability to win games because at least one of the captains has been forced onto the playing group. We're already at a disadvantage and it's a month before the season starts.
Whilst i agree on its a weak decision

According to Hartlett the players were askes to nominate 3 players (what imo is the problem right there, only ask for 1 ffs) and Wines and Jonas were both in something like 44 players lists with himself coming in 3rd and a few others also polling a vote, so it's not like the group is split 22/22 on who

According to Hartlett the players were askes to nominate 3 players (what imo is the problem right there, only ask for 1 ffs) and Wines and Jonas were both in something like 44 players lists with himself coming in 3rd and a few others also polling a vote, so it's not like the group is split 22/22 on who
Even if this were true, it’s still important that the coaches choose one, maybe more so.
You’ll have the ‘not MY captain’ attitude.

3 players...3 captains.

These campaigners better win the flag.

Nothing with the players nominating like that, put if your picking 3 it should be a 3,2,1 system. Not just three names.

Even if this were true, it’s still important that the coaches choose one, maybe more so.
You’ll have the ‘not MY captain’ attitude.

I get where your coming from, but its not that simple. The captain needs to be someone the playing group look up to and respect, being told who our captain will be is a dangerous path to go down and quite possibly has a even greater "not my captain" scenario.

Did anyone see Bruce Abernethy interview Wines yesterday during the scratch match, did not sound impressed with co captains. So theres talk about co captains "and tradition is a big ting around here" then followed Wines answer up with "I'm still trying to figure out how two guys will both wear No1"

Nothing with the players nominating like that, put if your picking 3 it should be a 3,2,1 system. Not just three names.

I get where your coming from, but its not that simple. The captain needs to be someone the playing group look up to and respect, being told who our captain will be is a dangerous path to go down and quite possibly has a even greater "not my captain" scenario.
When you have two it’s even easier to say.
Jonas - move forward JW, great aggression.
Ollie - drop back JW, stand off.

What do you do? You listen to the one you voted for as they’ve both been granted equal authority...or you just stay still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been open and listening mostly quietly to our debate over dual captaincy or C & VC leadership.

Talk of voting systems and the ramifications of “players picks” not being “the coaches picks” has been really eye opening though. I never got to vote for my manager or CEO ... it feels very strange.

If the last few years has taught us anything it’s that different voting systems react very differently when put under “stress”... maybe a bit of intelligent design lol wouldn’t go astray. If it must be a vote, I think the players ought to pop up two names, without any preference, and coaches make the final call on who wears #1 and #2 between the top two names. It just seems a balanced way of recognising all interests.

As a system it ought to minimise the chances of “not my captain” unprofessionalism. Yes any such back stabbing behaviour towards the playing group’s leadership by an individual is a serious “pull your head in right now or get your arse on the trade table” moment.

As a side effect, I think getting the players to think of two blokes tends to minimise the difference between a traditional C & VC setup and a co-captain setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty damning stuff from Keith Thomas on SEVEN tonight. He spouted on about 'tradition being import to us' but the need for on field success was more important. He did not say how ditching a 149 year tradition and appointing Co Captains equates to success. All the time Thomas was talking I kept thinking explain yourself mate, tell us why this is so? In all I was pretty disgusted by Thomas' attitude and the lip service he gave to the traditions of the Port Adelaide Football Club. It was exactly the same line that another ex Norwood johnny took in the press earlier this week.

Then again the Big Fella once played for Norwood so I might have to retract a bit.

I am utterly disgusted at what is afoot and I am now convinced that Keith Thomas is an empty vessel who says the things he thinks we want to hear. He has no real idea what the Port Adelaide Football Club is about he just thinks he does. Our traditions, born in 1870, are what makes us different from the mob down the road if Thomas cannot see that he has no business in our Club.

In typical port adelaide fashion we let his s**t drag on and on to the point it's the only thing people care about at the club - and this is worse if it's a vastly unpopular decision.

If they pick two KT needs to leave. I’m over this watering down of the PAFC. Two captains is like some kind of a fad, seriously, will it actually make any real difference? No.

KT can grab Kens hammock and bigger off. Piss weak mentality.

You don’t create tradition like this, you earn it, it’s something to be valued to the brand of PA, they would also be going against the will of the members.

But Ken knows best right? All those flags.

In typical port adelaide fashion we let his s**t drag on and on to the point it's the only thing people care about at the club - and this is worse if it's a vastly unpopular decision.
It’s a mature hour.
‘We will let them get used to it’.....

It makes no difference in field, it’s a title one person should own and hold it in high regard.

If it’s two captains we are the Crows.

KT & Co pack your bags.

During the absolute nightmare that was the Primus era, the traditions and history of the club were the only things that would keep me going.

It's something to hang your hat on and be proud of no matter what the performance levels are like on-field.

Port people will be able to support the club with co-captains but they won't forget (and probably ever forgive) the decision if that's what ends up happening.

Nah, you just suck on the teat of whatever the club does.
They aren’t doing it because it has ‘advantages’ they are doing it because they’ve messed up promising it to a player that prioritises water skiing over football.

If it was such a great decision, they’d have made it, explained it and this thread would be done.
And most of you berate everything the club does, as is your right. Same as it is my right to refuse to throw a hissy fit if co captains are announced.

Back