News Port Confirms Coaching Panel for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get into bagging the club in general, but one thing has stuck with me since Matthew Richardson came out with the chasing greatness and premiership targets, in that every decision and appointment made since that time (with the exception of Josh Carr returning ... which may have been more about his life choices re where he wants to live) have been the opposite, and appeared to be more about "chasing cost savings".

When we have been at our strongest we have had a strong coaching panel across all lines.

In fact in the past number of years we have had Nicks and Voss leave (now head coaches), along with Schoey, Monty and Bassett, and in reality only had Carr come in with any real pedigree.

Chasing greatness…. Words are cheap. They aren’t living by their words… if they were Ken Hinkley would have already built his new home in Geelong West…

Insular FC

A symptom of thinking you are 'successful' with a great program.

I get the difficulty in attracting people from interstate but we don't even go for Crows people anymore. Early in the Hinkley reign we had people like Rehn, Thompson, Hentschel and of course Bassett. We haven't hired an ex Crow for years now.

I get the difficulty in attracting people from interstate but we don't even go for Crows people anymore. Early in the Hinkley reign we had people like Rehn, Thompson, Hentschel and of course Bassett. We haven't hired an ex Crow for years now.
Camporeale and Mattner should've been looked at in recent years imo you are a caveman if you put a line through people just because they've been at Adelaide.

Haha, many of us predicted this jokingly but still deep down knew they’d do it.

I don’t have a problem with Goldsack or Hartlett getting promotions as such but I feel we needed someone else with more experience on top and from the outside, which would be a little more inspiring.

Feels like a bargain basement coaching panel.

Everyone was jumping for joy that we got rid of Bassett, because many think he was the problem, I’m not convinced and we’ve replaced him with a novice. In an area of the ground where we’ve had a major overhaul and need someone that definitely knows what they are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Also people acting like we had a choice here, just look at what's happened to talented assistants that have come here and not been "yes" men.

We're massively overpaying the least successful coach in VFL/AFL history so we don't have money. We're not in Victoria which makes it harder to get good assistants to re-locate. Our club is the laughing stock of the AFL so there is no chance of success. And our culture is completely toxic, infiltrated with bullying and gambling, and half the fans hate the club.

Not one decent assistant would ever want to come here. We take what we can get. Goldsack is probably genuinely the best option we could attract and it will remain this way until the muppet is gone.

I think a lot of you are forgetting that David Koch saved this club and would you look at the fruits of his efforts!
Somehow this is worse.

"We took what you loved, crushed it so that you hate it, and then held onto and pandered to everyone who had no expectations. My genius knows no bounds. Can't suck if the bar is low enough!"

Hartlett has only ever been at Port.

Cornes has only ever been at Port save for a few years at a fledgling GWS.

Even Hinkley hasn't been anywhere but Port or a fledgling SUNS since 2009.

Too many people who have been around the same environment with the same ideas for too long.
At least Koch brings diversity from his time as a Swans supporter.

Agree.

The much bigger concern is that too many of our coaching staff have no or limited experience outside of Port.

Hartlett has only ever been at Port.

Cornes has only ever been at Port save for a few years at a fledgling GWS.

Even Hinkley hasn't been anywhere but Port or a fledgling SUNS since 2009.

Too many people who have been around the same environment with the same ideas for too long.

Don't forget the "promoted from within" fitness guy whose name escapes me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I look at the coaching group I think, maybe people don't love working with Kenny as much as the club says. For all the talk of stability breeds success, have any of them been in their current role for over a year?

When I look at the coaching group I think, maybe people don't love working with Kenny as much as the club says. For all the talk of stability breeds success, have any of them been in their current role for over a year?
Seriously, does anyone still believe the "everyone loves Kenny" bullsh*t? Lol.

Last edited:
Seriously, does anyone still believe the "everyone loves Kenny" bullsh*t? Lol.
Lol the media that came out when Ken got given two years. Dear leader tier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back