News Port Confirms Coaching Panel for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What I'm saying is you found about the five worst examples you could to make a point.

Clarkson was in South Australia coaching, he had nothing to do with Choco. Choco was pissed off with Bucky for appointing him.

Walsh had a connection with Port through Choco, left because Choco wore him out - which they both conceded - and came back to Port to work with Hinkley. And he only left because the crows offered him their head coaching job.

Voss came to Port to work with Hinkley.

I get people don't want him here, I wanted him gone too. Is he responsible for an assistant group that people are offended by? I don't know, maybe he is. But that group you mentioned, almost all had pre-existing connections to SA or Port, which is the antithesis of what you said.
Anyone who comes here because of Ken, I don't want.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The industry is incredibly insular and everybody has mates at every club and everybody talks.

The laughable lack of media pressure aside, rest assured that everyone in the industry knows that Hinkley sucks and we're a poorly run club.
I'd argue that most in the industry think we are a relatively well run club. 3 top 4 finishes in 4 years is hard to argue with.

Our list management has also been excellent (while many on this board might argue with this). Collecting arguably 3 of the top young midfield talents in the comp without any bottoming out/draft concessions is an absurdly good effort.

It would definitely be known that we capitulate in finals and are no real threat at the business end of the season however.

Yeah i definitely don't think we can rest assured that everyone in the industry thinks we suck as bad as this board thinks we do.

The industry is incredibly insular and everybody has mates at every club and everybody talks.

The laughable lack of media pressure aside, rest assured that everyone in the industry knows that Hinkley sucks and we're a poorly run club.
Yeah, the results are in. Kenny Average is a very poor coach but is given carte blanche to ruin the game day strategy with zero accountability and if an assistant coach or God forbid!, a player, tells him something he doesn't want to hear, they are sleighted and removed.

It just seems like the ultimate toxic work environment mixed with underqualified people wanting to keep their jobs as long as they can but asking for the highest praise at doing nothing well.

It really keeps on becoming Monty Pythoneque with shades of Kafka.

All you can do is laugh.

Yeah i definitely don't think we can rest assured that everyone in the industry thinks we suck as bad as this board thinks we do.

Most ‘in the industry’ would see Port as a pathetic minnow living off handouts, and given this foundation, probably consider Hinkley a messianic figure.

Hell, a ridiculous chunk of our own fanbase mindlessly parrots the falsehood that if not for Koch and Hinkley the club would’ve floated down the Derwent.

I'd argue that most in the industry think we are a relatively well run club. 3 top 4 finishes in 4 years is hard to argue with.

Our list management has also been excellent (while many on this board might argue with this). Collecting arguably 3 of the top young midfield talents in the comp without any bottoming out/draft concessions is an absurdly good effort.

It would definitely be known that we capitulate in finals and are no real threat at the business end of the season however.

You aren't a well run club if you spectacularly bomb out at the business end though.

If assistant coaches thought this was a good place to come to improve, have success and ultimately potentially become head coaches, we wouldn't be promoting from within and hiring from a literal bush league.

Do you reckon when they do that preseason captains survey anyone will have us making a GF in 2024?

This board ultimately just doesn't think we'll win a flag under Hinkley and that the administration don't seem to really care. I think the captains will agree.

Hinkley would have a well deserved reputation in the industry for being a coach who can reliably get his teams to perform to a solid level that is reasonably difficult to beat but also for being a coach who will never be a threat to the serious contenders at the business end of the season. He would be regarded as neither a good nor a bad coach.

Ruthless winner types would consider him a loser. The only club that might consider him as a head coach are the likes of Gold Coast and Essendon for whom making and winning a final would be an enormous step forward.

Hinkley would have a well deserved reputation in the industry for being a coach who can reliably get his teams to perform to a solid level that is reasonably difficult to beat but also for being a coach who will never be a threat to the serious contenders at the business end of the season. He would be regarded as neither a good nor a bad coach.

He's a good to very good minor round coach. We've finished top 4 after the minor round in 3 of the last 4 seasons and won 58 out of 74 minor round games at 69%. People don't want to hear it, but the numbers are there.

But he cannot win finals. We can throw around all sorts of theories, but as you, me and Blind Freddie know, he has shown it time and again. I think his comments around finals time tells a story. The players have to take some responsibility but there's something about the preparation that fails. He's not the first coach with this issue, he won't be the last. But he will likely be the longest serving.

it reminds me of 07 when Choco was all rainbows and unicorns telling players to soak up the magic of grand final week while Bomber Thompson was honing a ruthless death machine behind closed doors at Kardinia Park.

Personally I don't buy into the hyperbole expressed by some that, if it were true, would have you believe we are North Melbourne at the bottom of the Mariana Trench. But his time is done at Port, the curtain should have closed after the Bulldogs PF.

Do you reckon when they do that preseason captains survey anyone will have us making a GF in 2024?

This board ultimately just doesn't think we'll win a flag under Hinkley and that the administration don't seem to really care. I think the captains will agree.
We are jumping from one extreme to the other here aren't we? There is a fair bit of middle ground between sucking/poorly run and making a GF. Most would have us in the 8 i reckon but you are probably right that none will have us making the GF.

I reckon many would see us as a good but not great team.

Those captain surveys always bring out very predictable results, generally when asked the question on which club will make the GF to play their own club it is the majority picking last year's premiers or grand finalist, and maybe only 1 or 2 from outside the top 4.

this was last years
8 – Geelong Cats
4 – Melbourne, Brisbane Lions
1 – Richmond, Sydney Swans

I expect this years to be something like this
8 - Collingwood
5 - Brisbane
2 - Melbourne, GWS
1 - Carlton

the captains tend not to think too far outside the box.

maybe they will get it wrong two years in a row.

He's a good to very good minor round coach. We've finished top 4 after the minor round in 3 of the last 4 seasons and won 58 out of 74 minor round games at 69%. People don't want to hear it, but the numbers are there.

But he cannot win finals. We can throw around all sorts of theories, but as you, me and Blind Freddie know, he has shown it time and again. I think his comments around finals time tells a story. The players have to take some responsibility but there's something about the preparation that fails. He's not the first coach with this issue, he won't be the last. But he will likely be the longest serving.

it reminds me of 07 when Choco was all rainbows and unicorns telling players to soak up the magic of grand final week while Bomber Thompson was honing a ruthless death machine behind closed doors at Kardinia Park.

Personally I don't buy into the hyperbole expressed by some that, if it were true, would have you believe we are North Melbourne at the bottom of the Mariana Trench. But his time is done at Port, the curtain should have closed after the Bulldogs PF.
The weird thing is we actually performed well in finals in Hinkleys first 2 years at the club. Since then it's been terrible. I wonder what changed.

You aren't a well run club if you spectacularly bomb out at the business end though.

If assistant coaches thought this was a good place to come to improve, have success and ultimately potentially become head coaches, we wouldn't be promoting from within and hiring from a literal bush league.
I said relatively. A number of clubs would kill for 3 top 4 finishes in the last 4 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The weird thing is we actually performed well in finals in Hinkleys first 2 years at the club. Since then it's been terrible. I wonder what changed.

The two finals against Geelong were hard fought wins. The loss to Richmond, we fought a generational finals team to a standstill and just came up short.

But that Bulldogs final was an abomination. They turned up for a fight, we came for a celebration of our greatness and were duly embarrassed. Heads should have rolled, but they just ignored it. The media assessments were scathing and rightly so.

The Lions final this year, I don't think anyone believed we could win. And we didn't. And I'm tired of losing those games we are expected to lose. We showed some fight for a little while then folded.

And I doubt anyone expected us to beat GWS and we duly lost.

By finals this year we looked physically cooked and our two weakest list spots had become giant black holes, but we all knew where those weaknesses were at the end of last year. Yes they had to get Horne-Francis and you do that trade 100 times out of 100, and that restricted their options. But they didn't even try. Even at the mid-season draft this year we took another flanker.

I don't have an answer. I know John Cahill lived for finals as the cauldron where you proved yourself and made his players understand that and believe they could beat anyone. And they won and won and won - more than once when no one thought they could or wanted them to. The best coaches, the greats, find a way.

We're not ruthless any more and haven't been for a long time that first final against Brisbane the team were walking to their starting positions with their heads down its %100 all in their head the talent is there but not the belief or the hunger kenny is a mentor but not a coach a coach is someone you should hate but respect for being ruthless and demanding and getting the best out of his players and that ass clown kochie cannot see that and it will not change until there's a clean out of dead wood at our club its a heckin joke

We weren’t meant to make finals this year according to the captains.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Go Away GIF

We are jumping from one extreme to the other here aren't we? There is a fair bit of middle ground between sucking/poorly run and making a GF.

Not over 11 years there isn't.

Port
North
Gold Coast
Carlton
Essendon
St Kilda

Poorly run football clubs that haven't made a grand final during Hinkley's tenure. Every other club has.

If you can't make the Grand Final over 11 seasons, you've been poorly run in that time. There's really no two ways about it. In team sport, there is only 1 champion a season. Being mediocre over the long term is being bad. The vitriol you see from Port supporters is because following a sports team is about hope and that has been mercilessly beaten out of us over a decade.

We're not ruthless any more and haven't been for a long time that first final against Brisbane the team were walking to their starting positions with their heads down its %100 all in their head the talent is there but not the belief or the hunger kenny is a mentor but not a coach a coach is someone you should hate but respect for being ruthless and demanding and getting the best out of his players and that ass clown kochie cannot see that and it will not change until there's a clean out of dead wood at our club its a *in joke
Ken's a good assistant coach, and he coaches like an assistant (or mentor, as you state).
He doesn't coach like a head coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back