Opinion Port's recruiting in recent years

Remove this Banner Ad

Jacobs can certainly play the game and will be a consistent contributor at AFL level. Will he be top tier? Most probably not, but as his strength and reading of the play at AFL level improve, his competitive spirit will see him become a very useful commodity hopefully on a wing or around the centre-square. His kicking efficiency was not woeful except in a couple of his earliest games, but his ball drop looks downright awful.

2010:
Cam O'Shea - #58
Tom Jonas - #16 Rookie Draft
Jarrad Irons - #50 Rookie Draft

2009:
(No Picks in ND after 1st Round)
Cameron Hitchcock - #12 Rookie Draft

2008:
Matthew Broadbent - #38
Mitchell Banner - #42
Jarrad Redden - #54
Jason Davenport - #78
Daniel Stewart - #35 Rookie Draft

Last few years seem alright to me in finding late talent?

Rnd 3 #57 Wade Champion (Dud)
Rnd 4 #69 Pass

Rnd 3 #34 Luke Peel (Dud)
Rnd 3 #39 Robert Forster-Knight (Dud)
Rnd 3 #46 Michael Pettigrew (Dud)

Rnd 3 #51 Ben Eckermann (Dud)

Rnd 3 #44 Alipate Carlile (Mediocre to OK)
Rnd 4 #58 Hugh Minson (Dud)

Rnd 3 #39 Nathan Krakouer (A good player to lose to GC)
Rnd 4 #55 Robbie Gray (Bargain)

Rnd 3 #49 Mitchell Farmer (Dud)

Rnd 3 #38 Matthew Broadbent (OK but lacks pace)
Rnd 4 #54 Jarrad Redden (Too early to tell)

No round 3 or 4 picks.

Rnd 3 #52 Cameron O'Shea (Too early to tell)
Rnd 4 #68 Cameron Hitchcock (Not up to AFL standard)

Our round 3 and 4 picks have been average at best.

Rnd 3 #57 Wade Champion (Dud)
Rnd 4 #69 Pass

Rnd 3 #34 Luke Peel (Dud)
Rnd 3 #39 Robert Forster-Knight (Dud)
Rnd 3 #46 Michael Pettigrew (Dud)

Rnd 3 #51 Ben Eckermann (Dud)

Rnd 3 #44 Alipate Carlile (Mediocre to OK)
Rnd 4 #58 Hugh Minson (Dud)

Rnd 3 #39 Nathan Krakouer (A good player to lose to GC)
Rnd 4 #55 Robbie Gray (Bargain)

Rnd 3 #49 Mitchell Farmer (Dud)

Rnd 3 #38 Matthew Broadbent (OK but lacks pace)
Rnd 4 #54 Jarrad Redden (Too early to tell)

No round 3 or 4 picks.

Rnd 3 #52 Cameron O'Shea (Too early to tell)
Rnd 4 #68 Cameron Hitchcock (Not up to AFL standard)

Our round 3 and 4 picks have been average at best.

Forgettin Westhoff,

Eckerman was due to his concussion problems looked promising until the WCE game
Think Pettigrew was pretty good for a late pick, his 06-07 was some good footy

Think that we're expecting a bit too much of our late picks

Think that we're expecting a bit too much of our late picks

You'll never win a flag by only expecting first rounders to make it.

You'll never win a flag by only expecting first rounders to make it.

I expect first and second rounders to make it

3rd rounders 3 out of 4

4th to make it 2 in 4

Anything after that succeeds later than that is a bonus

So from every draft i expect 3.25 players to make it every year

Isn't that hard to do,

But really the 03 draft killed us

Re: Jacobs- Can he play?

Not knocking Jacobs and his talent, he is a great player with a great future....but....for some reason I'm still annoyed we didn't pick up Lycett that year.

Not knocking Jacobs and his talent, he is a great player with a great future....but....for some reason I'm still annoyed we didn't pick up Lycett that year.

Agree 100%. I have no idea what our recruiters were thinking. We had a gaping hole, and a local boy filled it. Weird!!

The main reason I can see for that particular choice is that the sweet spots for gun ruckmen tend to be either top 5 or rookie list. Lobbe is a great example of what they may have been trying to avoid - his 5th year on the list and its still an uncertain spot.

It's a fair bet that Lycett was on our radar for pick 35 or 36 - also keep in mind he wasn't West Coast's first pick either. Taking him at 16 would've been a repeat of the Lobbe decision that we probably couldn't afford.

What has Lycett actually done so far that makes people wish we'd selected him instead of Jacobs? He didn't light it up in the NAB Cup last night, and last year he played one game and did alright while having the luxury of playing second fiddle to the best ruckman in the game. He wouldn't have that luxury with us.

Jack Darling, I can understand. I know I wasn't alone in wanting us to pick him up at Pick 16, but I'm still very much on the Jacobs train.

What has Lycett actually done so far that makes people wish we'd selected him instead of Jacobs? He didn't light it up in the NAB Cup last night, and last year he played one game and did alright while having the luxury of playing second fiddle to the best ruckman in the game. He wouldn't have that luxury with us.

Jack Darling, I can understand. I know I wasn't alone in wanting us to pick him up at Pick 16, but I'm still very much on the Jacobs train.

It's more the need factor, a solidly built ready made young ruckmen a hard to come by, the outside midfielder/flanker are all through the drafts. Lycett would be a lot higher in order of ruckmen (remember he is competing with two freaks in Natanui and Cox). Port needed a ruckmen to fill the gap brogan would eventually leave. Instead we chose to take Mitch curnow, a long term project player. Lobbe is doing good in helping fill the gap and I hope he has a great future with the power, but he was originally drafted as a centre half forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more the need factor, a solidly built ready made young ruckmen a hard to come by, the outside midfielder/flanker are all through the drafts. Lycett would be a lot higher in order of ruckmen (remember he is competing with two freaks in Natanui and Cox). Port needed a ruckmen to fill the gap brogan would eventually leave. Instead we chose to take Mitch curnow, a long term project player. Lobbe is doing good in helping fill the gap and I hope he has a great future with the power, but he was originally drafted as a centre half forward.

You honestly think Lycett was ready made? Look through the drafts and have a look at how many ruckmen come in at 18 years old and are "ready made". Now think of how many of them aren't taken in the top 10. You're kidding yourself if you think Lycett wouldn't have been a 3 year project minimum.

Debuting in his first year, in a top four side standing 202cm and 98kg says otherwise. How long did it take Lobbe to get to that size? How long was Giles on the list before he was that size? Not many 18 yr olds enter the system with his size, frame, maturity and skill...

Btw...I was under the impression lycett made his debut thanks to the Famous tennis ball into the eye of Kennedy....

NicNat was out, so it was a tandem of Cox and Lycett.

But look at all the other ruckmen drafted in the last few years:

2007:

1. Kreuzer - number 1 draft pick, so you'd think he is ready made. Played a fair bit in his first season
9. McEvoy - 1 game in his first season, 11 games in his second season, started to break out in his third season. Hardly "ready made"
16. Lobbe - Didn't "break out" (still hasn't tbh) until 2011.

2008:

2. Naitainui - absolute freak, was talked about as a number 1 draft pick, close to ready-made, but still took a coupla years to come on.
8. Vickery - played 9 games his first season and 14 games his second, but was still being called "Tyragic Tyrone" by his own supporters until he broke out in 2011.
14. Cordy - managed 2 games in 2011. That's all he's done so far.

2009:

34. Gawn - from what I can tell, Gawn is the highest ruckman taken in this draft. He's played 4 games for Melbourne so far.

2010:

10. Gorringe - SA boy who was the highest rated ruckman in the whole draft. Has so far played 7 games. Hardly ready-made, but the potential is obviously there.
29. Lycett - 1 game played for West Coast so far.

So if you think Lycett was a "ready made" ruckman, you're fooling yourself. We had faith in Lobbe and Redden coming on, which Lobbe has done and which Redden looks set to do. I guess we also had the plan to trade in an experienced ruckman, which we have done with Renouf, who is also young.

So I don't think skipping Lycett just because at the time it seemed we needed a ruckman and he was a Port boy, to take Jacobs was anything that can be criticised at this point. We rated Jacobs a better footballer than Lycett, and so we took him. So far, Jacobs has outperformed Lycett, so you can't go on anything more than that.

I am not that fussed missing out on lycett, a goal kicking forward like Darling was my first choice.
We struggle to kick more than 12 goals a game and until that improves we will always be bottom half team.

I know someone will wack on about Butcher but there is nothing wrong with having more than one player up forward that can kick 4 plus goals a game.

Darling right now is as good as we have up forward after only one season,even if he does not improve much more he will be a bargain pick for West Coast.

Jacobs at pick 16 is light years in front of a Dud like Moore who i believe will never make it.

lol Such a positive ray of light you are 240volt.
Hard to find much good after last season's rubbish effort.

Your pretty good at finding stats,see if you can find out the last time we lost 2 games in a row by a total of over 300points?

I am guessing never before last season,there is a lot of players on our list who should be buying lotto tickets because with there luck they would get 6 numbers every week.

Hard to find much good after last season's rubbish effort.

Your pretty good at finding stats,see if you can find out the last time we lost 2 games in a row by a total of over 300points?

I am guessing never before last season,there is a lot of players on our list who should be buying lotto tickets because with there luck they would get 6 numbers every week.

Every time Salopek gets selected he sbould go out and buy a lotto ticket.

I just re-read this thread from the first post. Five stars. Would read again.

I am not that fussed missing out on lycett, a goal kicking forward like Darling was my first choice.
We struggle to kick more than 12 goals a game and until that improves we will always be bottom half team.

I know someone will wack on about Butcher but there is nothing wrong with having more than one player up forward that can kick 4 plus goals a game.

Darling right now is as good as we have up forward after only one season,even if he does not improve much more he will be a bargain pick for West Coast.

Jacobs at pick 16 is light years in front of a Dud like Moore who i believe will never make it.

We dont score enough because we dont get the ball in often enough. Our efficiency when we do go forward is good.

Midfield has been beefed up this year, that should translate to more inside 50's then more goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back