Preview Ports V Fremantle Round 2 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still reeling from that loss to them last year. Amends must be made.

Westhoff getting more than one disposal to half time would be a good place to start.

This is a very key point. They embarrassed us last year, and just when it seemed like things were starting to turn after a couple of impressive performances and a agonising loss to the eventual premier. It was curtains on our season 2016 campaign, there was no coming back from that dismal performance.

Hopefully it is in the back of their minds.

Have you ever actually seen...
a)Ryder jump - I have and he jumps REALLY F@#CKIN HIGH!
View attachment 351182

b)Sanidlands jump - I'm not sure that I ever have seen him jump, because he rarely does jump. Especially around the ground.
View attachment 351187
View attachment 351184

You know what, funnily enough I have watched AFL matches before.

mike-pyke-of-the-swans-and-aaron-sandilands-of-the-dockers-contest-picture-id181445729
606569-62f8165a-a761-11e3-900e-99186aa12c4d.jpg

I, too, can attach meaningless pictures that vaguely back up my point.

I've mentioned previously that Ryder has only played against Sandilands once since 2010, in round 1 2015. In that game Ryder lost the HOs 20 to 35 and that was playing as sole ruck.

Prior to that match his previous two efforts were 9 HOs in 2010 and 5 in 2009, although he was playing as second ruck/forward in those matches with Hille as first ruck.

We're not going to win the HO battle against Sandilands, we probably won't win the clearance battle. But as Geelong showed (lost clearances by 14 and centre clearances by 5) that's not a huge issue. Their inside mids aren't great defensively and their quick players only run one way.

Win by 40 plus means we are a definite shot at top 8. Win by 65 plus is say we are a top 4 roughy.

A loss? I lose all hope for finals. I'm sick of us dropping games at home that we should win comfortably.

PORTS by 63

You know what, funnily enough I have watched AFL matches before.

mike-pyke-of-the-swans-and-aaron-sandilands-of-the-dockers-contest-picture-id181445729
606569-62f8165a-a761-11e3-900e-99186aa12c4d.jpg

I, too, can attach meaningless pictures that vaguely back up my point.

I've mentioned previously that Ryder has only played against Sandilands once since 2010, in round 1 2015. In that game Ryder lost the HOs 20 to 35 and that was playing as sole ruck.

Prior to that match his previous two efforts were 9 HOs in 2010 and 5 in 2009, although he was playing as second ruck/forward in those matches with Hille as first ruck.

We're not going to win the HO battle against Sandilands, we probably won't win the clearance battle. But as Geelong showed (lost clearances by 14 and centre clearances by 5) that's not a huge issue. Their inside mids aren't great defensively and their quick players only run one way.

Never before has any ruckman ever had an unimpeded jump at Sandilands around the ground and a ruckman with the agility and leap of Ryder can and should be able to take advantage of this.

Those figures that you quoted didn't have the new unique set of parameters allowing Paddy to take a running leap at Sandilands - assuming that the umpires actually pay the frees for blocking (big assumption I know), it could be a real advantage in the ruck duel.

But, my main point in the initial post was - IF Paddy decides to lock up and grapple with Sandilands as has been the way with every single game he as played against him, the results will likely be exactly the same.

IF Paddy changes things up and jumps at and over Sandilands, well you just never know what the outcome may be.

Win by 40 plus means we are a definite shot at top 8. Win by 65 plus is say we are a top 4 roughy.

A loss? I lose all hope for finals. I'm sick of us dropping games at home that we should win comfortably.

PORTS by 63
Yeah. It was a long and depressing trip home from AO far far too many times last year.

Freo will match us early on as a result of a Swans hangover. Ross Lyon will then deliver a demoralising quarter time address, imploring his players produce a more unattractive brand of footy.

Port by 60 +

Danyle Pearce to shank one directly on the full from the goal line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowd: 42,119
Winner: Ports
Margin: 21
Most Goals: A. Young & K Amon with 3 each
First goal: B Eddy
Most Disposals: B Ebert 31
Dont argues: SPP X2

Crowd 44,000

Port by 36

Wingard and Robbie 3 goals each with 11 individual goal kickers

Brownlow votes 3. Ollie
2.Boaky 1. Polecat

Ladbrokes to payout bets on Shaker winning the rising star award.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing what Brett Eddy can produce on home debut. With such a healthy list and quite a few experienced guys looking to play their way back into the team (Krakouer, Impey, White, Monfries), there could well be serious pressure for spots in this team over the coming weeks. Hopefully Brett can get on the end of a few and really stake his claim.

Freos backline was a disaster on the weekend. Constantly out of position, offered zero support from their midfield group. As soon as Geelong got the ball across half back they generally scored. I'm hoping for similar this week. Eddy could genuinely kick 5 or 6 this week if that happens.

What did he say?
AFL.com.au said:
FREMANTLE will keep a close-eye on off-the-ball treatment of superstar Nat Fyfe after Geelong targeted the Dockers skipper in round one, coach Ross Lyon says.

While Lyon didn't believe the Cats' physicality was untoward, Fyfe was repeatedly checked around stoppages as Geelong tried to restrict his influential combination with Aaron Sandilands.

"I thought it was reasonable (Geelong's tactics), but I can guarantee … if the umpires don't look after him we will," Lyon said.

"That's on our agenda, but I thought Geelong did that pretty well. That's what disciplined teams do, they take away your strengths a little bit.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-29/lyon-says-dockers-will-get-tough-to-protect-fyfe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back