Strategy Positional changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically just things you want to see happen in 2021

I’d love to see Salem and Rivers attend more centre bounces and/or play the wing role opposite Langdon (or Smith if we get him) at stoppages around the ground.

Also would like to see Harmes played up forward, is the closest thing we have to someone who can replace what Melksham did at his best and I don’t think he’s ever going back into the midfield. More suited forward than back IMO.

Salem to the wing and also rotate into half forward.
Harmes midfield and deep in the goal square
Rivers into the midfield
Lockhart out of defence maybe back forward again, he's too small and not a good enough kick to play down there.
Tmac back to defence.
Gawn to attend more forward stoppages
Hore back to defence.
Oliver to play inside 50 more, get him the * away from stoppages to allow others a go.

I’d keep playing rivers where we have been let’s him really get great playing one slot
Would love Hore back can we have them both I. The back line?

harmes run with and middle

not sure what to do about forward mine but we need another pressure guru in there to help kossie

wings overrated but if we get another who can kick I’ll be happy

need a different mix at Centre bounces. - so maybe Salem is the key would like to see

not excited to see much more of melksham tbh!

Dumb coaching giving anyone a tagging that doesn't have big, massive "chompers".
Tom MacDonald if he's still around next year can post the quarter time updates on Twitter.
Melksham into an oversized hat running up and down the boundary line, revving up the crowd, maybe throwing orange peels at the opposition bench on the sly.
Pickett can replace Hunt in the "grand final sprint!"
Hannan to replace Pickett in the forward pocket.

Lockhart back to being a forward. Need some more pressure there.
Salem and Rivers into the midfield/wings more often.
All of our flankers through the midfield for 10-15 minutes each game. Mix it up, get them into the game rather than wafting around getting 4 touches.
Oliver and Brayshaw more time forward.
Harmes to mid/HFF.

Agree with most ideas ITT. Oliver/Petracca/Harmes rotating forward/mids. Salem/Rivers to the wing.

I would like to see Jayden Hunt either on the wing or return to HBF. Plays the occasional decent game up forward but too many where he goes missing completely. Felt like he was developing nicely as a HBF a few years ago, had a poor start to 2018 and was dropped, don't think he's been played there again. Depending on list size changes etc. he may be delisted though.

Viney to play as a permanent small forward
Brayshaw and Harmes go back to permanent on-ball
Petracca 50/50 mid forward
Jackson 50/50 forward mid (back up ruck and pinch hit as inside mid)
Salem to a wing
Hunt showed some good form up forward late but I would put him back to a half back flank

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Salem - Wing, so Rivers can be locked into HBF
Harmes - half forward, tagger if required. VFL if no good at that. Basically never again in the back line
Jackson - CHF. I'm all in, what's the point of drafting good young players and then being worried they're not good enough to play key roles.
Viney/Oliver/Brayshaw - need to get good at spelling up forward and having an impact. The only reason we struggle to carry them all in the side is they are all *en useless when not in the centre square. They're all good enough players to change that.
Tomlinson - defence. If Lever is going to fill his potential we need him or Hore to be the guy who can tie up a second tall for Lever to come over the top.
Baker - throw at the stumps this one, but I'd train him up as a running defender if he's still on the list. Don't think he's a forward and others I'd prefer on the wing before him. He's quickish, pretty good kick, got a bit of mongrel, all decent traits to work with for a half back.

Seriously tho, like I said last year. How bloody hard is it to work out a rotation where Trac, Oliver, Viney, Harmes and Brayshaw spend some time in the F50 rather than strictly midfield, backline or pine?

Stop wasting your good players minutes playing them in places they can't make the opposition worry. Brain surgery honestly.

Over to you simple Simon.

> Tmac to lose a bunch of weight and get his agility back to roam. If he can't do this, he's out of the team as he can't play deep 1v1 anymore.

> Harmes into a defensive forward role. Play on their best half back to mind them and make them accountable. Can take a mark and knows where the goals are and would be a handful for any half back when in form. Needs a simple role to focus on after the debacle of 2020.

> Melksham out of the team if he comes back in 2021 looking like 2020 Melksham. He lost all his ability 1v1 and wasn't a marking player or a crumbing player. Playing him in the midfield was embarrassing, his tackling efforts were weak and his decision making was awful.

> Hore back into the team. Averaged a lot of intercept marks per game in 2019 and alongside Lever and May could turn our backline into an intercepting force which you need to have to be a great team these days.

> Salem to be released up field with Hore/Rivers in the team. Wing/Half forward and attending centre bounces. Knows where the goals are and is a great kick going inside 50. Rivers/May can be the designated kickers down back if we are desperate for one.

> Lockhart to stay down back. He's a more natural forward but I think he's a smart footballer and will learn how to play down back. Showed some impressive signs but also found himself in and out of the team with some sloppy defensive work. He's tough and smart and a decent kick, needs to be backed in to taking Nev's spot down there as we dont have any strong lockdown options.

> Generally more variation at the bounces. Have Harmes/Viney swap in and out of the centre bounce/forward line as the defensive tackler/stopper. Use them in bursts to really bring the crunching tackles. Have Salem/Langdon/Rivers/Hannan/Baker attend some bounces to give us some spark in there when needed.

> Give Petracca license to play like Dusty and just float forward when he feels like it. He should never find himself in the back half of the ground. Let him take centre bounces then push forward hard. Structure the midfield around him and have mids play more defensively minded roles to cover for him similar to Lambert/Dusty at Richmond.

> Give Yze a broad portfolio and license to shake up our ball movement/structures.

Salem - Wing, so Rivers can be locked into HBF
Harmes - half forward, tagger if required. VFL if no good at that. Basically never again in the back line
Jackson - CHF. I'm all in, what's the point of drafting good young players and then being worried they're not good enough to play key roles.
Viney/Oliver/Brayshaw - need to get good at spelling up forward and having an impact. The only reason we struggle to carry them all in the side is they are all fu**en useless when not in the centre square. They're all good enough players to change that.
Tomlinson - defence. If Lever is going to fill his potential we need him or Hore to be the guy who can tie up a second tall for Lever to come over the top.
Baker - throw at the stumps this one, but I'd train him up as a running defender if he's still on the list. Don't think he's a forward and others I'd prefer on the wing before him. He's quickish, pretty good kick, got a bit of mongrel, all decent traits to work with for a half back.

love it except prefer Jackson IN the middle

Also

> Gawn to float forward and even spend some time at FF (when Jackson is on ball). He's arguably the best contested grab in the game and we shouldn't need to protect Lever/May down back as much. It'll give the opposition something to think about with him sitting at FF and clunking grabs. Nothing better than a big goal from your captain at an important time in the match - time to step up, skip.

Playing him in the midfield was embarrassing, his tackling efforts were weak and his decision making was awful.
A lot of things about Melbourne 2020 sucked ass but if there was an award for sucking the most ass this decision would be right up there. Why would you do that? Why drop Bennell for "not being defensive enough" and then put a horribly out of form Melksham into the centre?

A lot of things about Melbourne 2020 sucked ass but if there was an award for sucking the most ass this decision would be right up there. Why would you do that? Why drop Bennell for "not being defensive enough" and then put a horribly out of form Melksham into the centre?

Because Melk is a Goody favourite so he just kept playing him in the hope his form would magically turn around.

He's not best 22 at the moment and had better not line up in round one next season unless he...TRAINS THE HOUSE DOWN.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back