Prediction Potential 2021 retirees

Remove this Banner Ad

We are getting to that stage in the year where veterans will start to announce retirements and maybe get farewell games

Greenwood just retired who else is likely to retire?

Burgoyne a certainty but does he make this game 400 his last or does he play out the year?

Marc Murphy, Eddie Betts and Nathan Jones I’d expect to retire also

Grant Birchall.

BRISBANE veteran Grant Birchall will consider playing on into 2022 after enjoying a remarkable run since joining the Lions.

The four-time Hawthorn premiership defender played just eight games for the Hawks across his final three seasons at the club before joining Brisbane for 2020.

But since making the move as a free agent, Birchall has played 29 out of a possible 32 games for the Lions, including every game this season.

He originally signed a one-year contract with Brisbane for 2020 with a trigger clause for 2021, which he activated to play on this season. His manager Shane Casley said Birchall's fitness and form had meant that he will consider playing again for a 17th AFL season, but won't decide until later this year.

"We chatted during the bye week around that and he's had a pretty solid year. At this stage we'll probably talk to the club in that last four or five weeks of the year to see where they're at," Casley told AFL.com.au.

BRISBANE veteran Grant Birchall will consider playing on into 2022 after enjoying a remarkable run since joining the Lions.

The four-time Hawthorn premiership defender played just eight games for the Hawks across his final three seasons at the club before joining Brisbane for 2020.

But since making the move as a free agent, Birchall has played 29 out of a possible 32 games for the Lions, including every game this season.

He originally signed a one-year contract with Brisbane for 2020 with a trigger clause for 2021, which he activated to play on this season. His manager Shane Casley said Birchall's fitness and form had meant that he will consider playing again for a 17th AFL season, but won't decide until later this year.

"We chatted during the bye week around that and he's had a pretty solid year. At this stage we'll probably talk to the club in that last four or five weeks of the year to see where they're at," Casley told AFL.com.au.
Could play but honestly I don't think he is in our best 22 any longer so I'm hoping he steps aside and leaves it to our younger guys.

Levi Greenwood retired today. As SEN presumptuously say 'here's everything you need to know!':

Levi has been on the sidelines for 2 and a half months with symptoms of concussion. I assume that means constant headaches, caused by a collision with Nic Nat in round 5, and I remember it distinctly. Nic Nat grabbed the ball from a centre bounce and ran through Levi like a steam train, skittling him like a bowling pin, and passed the ball to an Eagles forward who kicked a goal. The reason I remember it is because Nic Nat made a bee line to Levi after the goal was kicked and patted him on the head. I'm of the opinion that a pat on the head, or ruffling the hair, is more demeaning and offensive than punching someone in the guts. Hawkins did it to Mihocek earlier in the season. I'm happy to turn a blind eye if one of my players wants to retaliate. I say go your hardest, even if it means a suspension.

Levi suffered more concussions than any other Pies player. This didn't seem to register with the press, who ridiculed him a couple of years ago, when he supposedly 'pulled out of a contest' against his old club the kangaroos at the docklands. To those people I say **** you, I hope you're happy.

In his retirement speech, Levi referred to Bucks as 'a friend'. Yet more proof that the coach's removal was purely political and absolutely disgraceful.

Levi's been a fantastic wing man for Pendles, providing the muscle at a time when the Pies didn't have much of it, and I felt better when he was in the 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Jones surely.
Going to be interesting, he just had an absolute ripper at Casey, was BOG. If he can capture that at AFL level he could but you’d think this is his last.

Going to be interesting, he just had an absolute ripper at Casey, was BOG. If he can capture that at AFL level he could but you’d think this is his last.

Chunk was literally the ONLY bright light during our worst years, but its gone past him.

He'll hang up the boots years end no question.

Levi Greenwood retired today. As SEN presumptuously say 'here's everything you need to know!':

Levi has been on the sidelines for 2 and a half months with symptoms of concussion. I assume that means constant headaches, caused by a collision with Nic Nat in round 5, and I remember it distinctly. Nic Nat grabbed the ball from a centre bounce and ran through Levi like a steam train, skittling him like a bowling pin, and passed the ball to an Eagles forward who kicked a goal. The reason I remember it is because Nic Nat made a bee line to Levi after the goal was kicked and patted him on the head. I'm of the opinion that a pat on the head, or ruffling the hair, is more demeaning and offensive than punching someone in the guts. Hawkins did it to Mihocek earlier in the season. I'm happy to turn a blind eye if one of my players wants to retaliate. I say go your hardest, even if it means a suspension.

Levi suffered more concussions than any other Pies player. This didn't seem to register with the press, who ridiculed him a couple of years ago, when he supposedly 'pulled out of a contest' against his old club the kangaroos at the docklands. To those people I say **** you, I hope you're happy.

In his retirement speech, Levi referred to Bucks as 'a friend'. Yet more proof that the coach's removal was purely political and absolutely disgraceful.

Levi's been a fantastic wing man for Pendles, providing the muscle at a time when the Pies didn't have much of it, and I felt better when he was in the 22.
Nup, didn't notice him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back