Prediction Likely retirees in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we are nearing the half way mark of the year and during the second half we will start hearing retirement announcements who are we likely to see finish up this year?

Buddy the obvious one

from north i think we push goldy 36 next year (2nd oldest player in the league atm) into retirement to let xerri takeover

Last edited:
Well we are nearing the half way mark of the year and during the second half we will start hearing retirement announcements who are we likely to see finish up this year?

Buddy the obvious one

from north i think we push goldy 35 next year (4th oldest player in the league atm) into retirement to let xerri takeover
You'd think after Petrie and Boomer North melbourne would want to hold on to Goldstein as long as possible.

Anyway, I'm expecting Riewoldt and Cotchin to go out at the end of the year. Probably Tarrant as well

You'd think after Petrie and Boomer North melbourne would want to hold on to Goldstein as long as possible.

Anyway, I'm expecting Riewoldt and Cotchin to go out at the end of the year. Probably Tarrant as well
goldy isn't really a leader like them, never once been voted into the leadership group

would have played mainly vfl this year if xerri didn't get injured

one that i thought would retire from us this year is ziebell but he has had a very good year and has leadership so could go 1 more

Jason Castagna (already retired)
Trent Cotchin
Jack Riewoldt
Robbie Tarrant

Oh, and Damien Hardwick

Why? There was nothing wrong with retiring Boomer and Petrie.
Petrie stop-gap at Eagles in 2017 with Vardy and Giles while Naitanui and Lycett were out. Harvey was 38, in a team that clearly was about to fall off a cliff and he was not going to prevent it (North were so so far behind the rest of the top 8 that year).

You'd think Ben Brown and the Dees will come to some sort of agreement at the end of the year that will lead to his retirement, still has 1 year remaining I believe.

Very confident:
Paul Seedsman
Daniel Rich, Ryan Lester
Ed Curnow
Dyson Heppell
Joel Hamling
Sam Menegola, Isaac Smith, Zach Tuohy, Jon Ceglar
Sam Day, Levi Casboult
Phil Davis, Lachie Keeffe, Callan Ward
Todd Goldstein, Ben Cunnington, Liam Shiels
Travis Boak
Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin, Robbie Tarrant
Tom Campbell
Lance Franklin
Nic Naitanui (don’t think he will play on), Shannon Hurn

Any of Hawkins, Rohan, Stanley, Sidebottom, Pendlebury might call it with another flag. Hibberd too, Melksham would if he got one I reckon.
50/50 on Zorko, with Marcus Adams pending concussion.

Chad Wingard probably heavily considering his options

Out of contract 'retirees' at Essendon

Dyson Heppell
Anthony McDonald - Tipungwuti
Andrew Phillips may likely retire if we don't offer him the break glass in case of emergency role
Cian McBride may be a token 'retirement' as he seems to be so far off the pace at VFL level and save face

James Stewart has a year to run but is broken and serving no purpose other than soaking up salary cap and a list spot in a position we have a plethora of youngsters in

Guys from the Giants I can see retire are Callan Ward, Lachlan Keefe, Phil Davis & Daniel Lloyd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel Rich turning 33 next month and Dayne Zorko 34 are both likely to retire... it's a lock if we're lucky enough to win the flag this season.

Taylor Duryea will probably be the only one for us but I could see him going another year

Who are your other old geezers apart from those guys?
They are the 2 oldest... the next few age(ages start of next season) wise are Gunston 32, Jarrad Lyons 31, Ryan Lester 31, Lachie Neale, Marcus Adams, Darcy Fort and Lincoln McCarthy all 30.

All eminently replaceable IMO apart from Lachie Neale who is contracted to the end of 2026.

Ramps has one more year after this.
Sam Reid will probably be gone.

Zorko more likely to go on next year than Rich I reckon.

Kinda like Boomer Harvey in his last couple of years, his body is starting to show increasing wear and tear but he is still super-effective on the ground and we are a better team with him out there. Compliments our gameplan well as that energiser bunny playing as a high half-forward.

He's also mellowed a tad and doesn't let the chip on his shoulder cost the team as much.

Did hear some talk that Rich is keen to go on though. I'd be okay with that but he might have to embrace the idea of captaining the VFL side at times.

If we pinched a flag this year they should bow out on top though.

Last edited:
Ramps has one more year after this.
Sam Reid will probably be gone.

Sam Reid feels like one of those players that has been around forever. Then you look at his Wiki and realise he is only 31.

Same level of shock when I heard we were into Gunston last year and then I read he was only 30. Would have guessed 34 at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back