Prediction Likely retirees in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Ever is a long time.

Think jezzas last goal in 1970 from about 75 that bounced through to win the grand final in front of 121,000 going berserk.
Phil Manassa with 5 bounces, Tom Boyd's massive bomb to break 60 year plus hoodoo.

That's just off the top of my head without doing any research.
Manassa is the obvious pick for mine.

Gary Ablett in 1989 plucking the throw-in and snapping the ball back over his head.

Michael Long in '93 was better, too (sorry SOS).

Stanley has indicated he wants to go again and I believe Hawkins has as well.

I get a feeling Tuohy will call it a day as well as Ceglar.
I have the same feeling about Tuohy. Ceglar will surely go - he can barely get out of the medical room, so it makes zero sense for the club to keep him. If Ceglar goes, the club has to keep Stanley or our next oldest ruckman is Neale with 3 games to his name.

Hawkins indicated a few months back that he wanted to go again, but... I don't know. His recent form has been really quiet bar filling his boots in a belting of Essendon, and he just pinged a hammy.

The other Cat where it wouldn't shock if he left despite still playing good footy is Mitch Duncan, IMO. Just had some trouble with injury and fitness in the last three years, and while he's still playing well, occasionally has lapses that he never used to have.

Does wingard retire?

30 and out for the next 12 months with his injury

Does he play in 2025 for a final year after rehab all of next year?
Who would pick him up in 2025 off the back of a year of rehab turning 32 that year?

Hawks definitely won't need him the way they are tracking, and I don't see any desperate suiters that will pick him up.

Sucks for the bloke but I reckon this injury has decided his fate.

Shannon Neale is the obvious one, but it's hard to tell given that he's playing as a tall forward in a side which is getting beaten most weeks in the VFL.

Neale & Foster are the only two key forwards on the list.
J.Henry can play there but he looks a much better defender.

Obviously Ratugolea but he's apparently gone.

Hawkins may be needed another year just for insurance unless we poach someone in the off season.

Gutted was one of my all time favourite non Carlton players

When he was on song, there was no better player to watch.

Should have been given an premiership medal in 2018, he was a massive part of that great Eagles team

I thought all your favorite non Carlton players all played for Richmond.

You talk about them so much after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have the same feeling about Tuohy. Ceglar will surely go - he can barely get out of the medical room, so it makes zero sense for the club to keep him. If Ceglar goes, the club has to keep Stanley or our next oldest ruckman is Neale with 3 games to his name.

Hawkins indicated a few months back that he wanted to go again, but... I don't know. His recent form has been really quiet bar filling his boots in a belting of Essendon, and he just pinged a hammy.

The other Cat where it wouldn't shock if he left despite still playing good footy is Mitch Duncan, IMO. Just had some trouble with injury and fitness in the last three years, and while he's still playing well, occasionally has lapses that he never used to have.

Disagree on Hawk. He's still 7th on the coleman and has kicked 47 goals, he's averaging is 2.5 goals a game which has him 6th. If not for injury, he would've kicked 50+ (and be top 5 in the coleman currently) in the H&A which is still really good output for a Key forward.

If he wanted to go again, I would be signing him up and I doubt the club will push him out.

Duncan is contracted on big $.

Ceglar and tuohy will go as will menegola.

Hawkins and rohan are 50-50 but should get 1 yr.

The hawks I think won’t offer chad a contract now so he’ll likely be forced into retirement

Instead of waiting for him to be fully fit in 2025 at 32
Exactly what's to blame I don't know, but Wingard's career has been one of the biggest wastes of genuine talent in the AFL. In the middle of the decade, he could have been absolutely anything. Instead, he's just become peripheral.

Menegola will go, but unlike the others it won't be his choice.

Rohan... I don't know, I get the feeling he'll have to be carried off in a box.
Rohan has arguably played his best football in years in 2022 & 2022. I reckon the only reason he would retire is chronic injury, and he’s not at that stage as far as I know.

Disagree on Hawk. He's still 7th on the coleman and has kicked 47 goals, he's averaging is 2.5 goals a game which has him 6th. If not for injury, he would've kicked 50+ (and be top 5 in the coleman currently) in the H&A which is still really good output for a Key forward.

If he wanted to go again, I would be signing him up and I doubt the club will push him out.
And remember he had zero pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back