Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

Tex Wanganeen, the son of Essendon and Port Adelaide champion Gavin, shone across the session after being overlooked in last year's draft and will come under sharp consideration. Wearing his father's famous No.4 jumper, Wanganeen played across half-forward and was clever and classy with the ball, including kicking a goal.

Reported on ASX site today.

Geez, I will be mad if this guy turns into a superstar at Essendrug!

Tex Wanganeen, the son of Essendon and Port Adelaide champion Gavin, shone across the session after being overlooked in last year's draft and will come under sharp consideration. Wearing his father's famous No.4 jumper, Wanganeen played across half-forward and was clever and classy with the ball, including kicking a goal.

Is he the first father-son NFT?

He'll definitely start at Essendon

That was always going to happen. Essendon were always picking him up and he will be more than useful. I'm sure Port would have given him a spot had he not wanted to go to the Bombers.

That was always going to happen. Essendon were always picking him up and he will be more than useful. I'm sure Port would have given him a spot had he not wanted to go to the Bombers.
If Essendon wanted him that badly they would've drafted him last year.

Two clubs had the chance to take Tex for free last year, neither were interested. If we'd wanted him and he'd picked Essendon over us I'd be a bit miffed, but we never wanted him. If he goes on to get the last chance SSP spot on their list and makes the most of it, so be it.

He is only going to get a list spot because tippa is injured and ask for indefinite leave.
Any club could of picked him up last yr but didn't I wanted him on the rookie list but good luck to him.

If Essendon wanted him that badly they would've drafted him last year.

Two clubs had the chance to take Tex for free last year, neither were interested. If we'd wanted him and he'd picked Essendon over us I'd be a bit miffed, but we never wanted him. If he goes on to get the last chance SSP spot on their list and makes the most of it, so be it.

They simply didn't need to draft him. They did have the family move over to Melbourne about June last year telling them he would have a spot and that was before he played his one school game of the year after injury. They were always finding a spot for him. Tex has obvious athletic ablitiy.

They simply didn't need to draft him. They did have the family move over to Melbourne about June last year telling them he would have a spot and that was before he played his one school game of the year after injury. They were always finding a spot for him. Tex has obvious athletic ablitiy.
This doesn't make any sense. There's no disadvantage to Essendon in having drafted him two months ago rather than having him as a train on player. The only thing they did by not drafting him two months ago is open him up to 16 other clubs.

This doesn't make any sense. There's no disadvantage to Essendon in having drafted him two months ago rather than having him as a train on player. The only thing they did by not drafting him two months ago is open him up to 16 other clubs.

You are right that no one else is picking him up. That is outside of Essendon or Port. All I am saying is he can play and Essendon or Port had he wanted to come here would have found a spot for him.

His mum and her side of the family live in Melbourne. He got a scholarship to Xavier's for year 11 and 12, if not the leading football school in Melbourne, would be in the top 3.

He has played 1 competitive game of footy in 2 years. He's had injuries and as his old man says, he is growing into his body. Neither Port or Essendon thought he was good enough to take this year in either main or rookie draft. So common sense says if he is living in Melbourne, Essendon will invite him out to see if he is good enough to fill that last spot.

Sure we're stuck with Ken and any player with sense would avoid that, but Tex would be well aware of what sort of a s**t organisation Essendon is. Or at least if he could think at all he would be. If he's looked at their drug shitshow and still decided he's happy to go there, then he's not the sort of person we (should) want at the club anyway.

Sure we're stuck with Ken and any player with sense would avoid that, but Tex would be well aware of what sort of a sh*t organisation Essendon is. Or at least if he could think at all he would be. If he's looked at their drug shitshow and still decided he's happy to go there, then he's not the sort of person we (should) want at the club anyway.
Carn that's ridiculous he's just a kid trying to get a shot, what Essendon did umpteen years ago is of zero relevance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are right that no one else is picking him up. That is outside of Essendon or Port. All I am saying is he can play and Essendon or Port had he wanted to come here would have found a spot for him.
You have absolutely no way of knowing that and none of the available evidence supports it. You're talking out of your arse.

You think if Port had offered him a guaranteed rookie contract last year he would have said 'no thanks, I'll take my chances as one of four train-on squad players at Essendon fighting for one available SSP spot instead'? That's lunacy. The far more simple and plausible explanation is that we just weren't interested.

You realize Wanganeen is not the first footballer to ever have a son, right?

We passed over Dittmar last year too. Has Wanganeen played higher than school B team? lol

You have absolutely no way of knowing that and none of the available evidence supports it. You're talking out of your arse.

You think if Port had offered him a guaranteed rookie contract last year he would have said 'no thanks, I'll take my chances as one of four train-on squad players at Essendon fighting for one available SSP spot instead'? That's lunacy. The far more simple and plausible explanation is that we just weren't interested.
This.
We thought he was useless.
Time alone will tell whether that is a good or a poor decision.
We move forward.

I am saying I know for a fact the family brought an upholstery business with Mark Harwood in Melbourne in the middle of last year with the expectation Tex was promised a spot on Bombers list. Ie they packed up and left to support Tex with the Bombers. Pretty sure he’s ending up on the list and there’s no chance about it.

Last edited:
I am saying I know for a fact the family brought an upholstery business with Mark Harwood in Melbourne in the middle of last year with the expectation Tex was promised a spot on Bombers list. Ie they packed up and left to support Tex with the Bombers. Pretty sure he’s ending up on the list and there’s no chance about it.

Kevin Sheedy invented upholstery franchising.

Even if true, this is in no way is evidence that Port wanted him.

Port may not have wanted him desperately but I’d hazzard a guess that if Tex was keen to come here we do know he has the athletic ability and the pedigree to make it worth finding a spot for him in much the same way the Bombers have. Tex can play he’s not a waste of time we would have given him a shot had he have wanted to come here. There’s way to many reasons to pick him up and at least give him a shot.

We have enough prospects in the next 4 years to forget about Tex.

2022 - Harper Montgomery
2023 - Oliver Francou
2023 - Jack Lade
2024 - Ky Burgoyne
2024 - Rome Burgoyne
2024 - Eddy Cornes
2025 - Jake Bishop
2025 - Ben Francou
2025 - Darcy Thurstans
2025 - Gillon Wakelin
2025 - Charlie Wilson
2025 - Tom Wilson

This is true, but you also have the ‘get him to a private school in Melbourne’ and Wanganeen stepping down from the board.

I call shenanigans, how much it really matters (he would have chosen Essendon anyway) remains to be seen.

This way both teams and Wanganeen save face and Tex goes to the club he wanted.

We have enough prospects in the next 4 years to forget about Tex.

2022 - Harper Montgomery
2023 - Oliver Francou
2023 - Jack Lade
2024 - Ky Burgoyne
2024 - Rome Burgoyne
2024 - Eddy Cornes
2025 - Jake Bishop
2025 - Ben Francou
2025 - Darcy Thurstans
2025 - Gillon Wakelin
2025 - Charlie Wilson
2025 - Tom Wilson
Can probably scratch Eddy Cornes from that list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back