VFL Game Day Scratch Matches 2021 (in lieu of VFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard there was a scratch match against the Swans on the weekend. Anyone have any info?
First I've heard of it... We never have any info about scratch matches, always have to check other clubs' websites to find out who played and what happened :\ Be lucky for a highlights video on the club website in about a week(?) from now

So I assume we'll have a scratchie considering a few haven't played in a while, either at Windy Hill or at Whitten Oval. A potential side for us with a few VFL players:

B: Martin Gleeson - Cody Brand - Daniel Thompson
HB: Lachlan Johnson - Josh Eyre - Josh Tynan
C: David Zaharakis - Alec Waterman - Brayden Ham
HF: Ned Cahill - Patrick Ambrose - Tom Hird
F: Nick Bryan - Cian McBride - Danny Younan
R: Andrew Phillips - Matthew Guelfi - Joe Atley
I: Josh Smithson - Kyle Dunkley - Sam Conforti - Nick O'Kearney

Surely we wait for it to be confirmed before predicting line ups.
I basically threw all the players that aren't confirmed unfit and put them in.

Okay, so I'm working under the assumption that the VFL won't be back this week so we'll be forced to play a few guys in a scratch match first up. We'll probably have to do the same in the bye week and first week of finals if we make it as the three opponents we could have (Brisbane, Port, Sydney) are all likely to miss finals as well for their respective competitions.

Anyway, a potential side just for fun (we won't be having VFL players I assume):

Patrick Ambrose - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher
Lachlan Johnson - Cody Brand - Josh Eyre
David Zaharakis- Devon Smith - Brayden Ham
Kaine Baldwin- Cian McBride - Tom Hird
Nick Bryan - Cale Hooker
Andrew Phillips - Jye Caldwell - Ned Cahill
We probably only have 16 fit so yeah, that's why it's one out of the forwards and backs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last round of the VFL for us, GWS have to win to make finals I'm pretty sure. Not going to bother doing a whole thing but we probably lose and a possible side for us, not knowing the fitness of any of our VFL players:

FB: Patrick Ambrose - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Lachlan Johnson
HB: Martin Gleeson - Cody Brand - Josh Eyre
MF: David Zaharakis - Joe Atley - Brayden Ham
HF: Kaine Baldwin - Cian McBride - Tom Hird
FF: Nick Bryan - Cale Hooker - Ned Cahill
OB: Andrew Phillips - Jye Caldwell - Kyle Dunkley
IC: Danny Younan - Josh Smithson - Josh Tynan - James Harrold

So in an AFL.com.au article about a few GC Suns retiring it said Essendon topped up with Suns players played Sydney topped up with other Suns players in a scratch match. Guess there’s no details about this like last time.

So in an AFL.com.au article about a few GC Suns retiring it said Essendon topped up with Suns players played Sydney topped up with other Suns players in a scratch match. Guess there’s no details about this like last time.
Not a lot no. Essendon website has a write up about Caldwell and Baldwin playing in it and it’s described as a high class scratch match. The end of the article has a couple paragraphs about the game in general. I’m not sure how much use it will be but that’s all we’ve got so far afaik

Last edited:
Leon Cameron mentioned in the press conference after the Carlton/GWS game yesterday that some of his players would be getting minutes in a scratch match against Essendon today.

Walla, Caldwell, Hooker got their games reviewed and it also mentions 'other bombers who have played at senior level' being involved in the scratch match: Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Martin Gleeson, David Zaharakis, Andrew Phillips, Nick Bryan and Ned Cahill.

The kids who haven't debuted yet aren't mentioned, so may or may not have played, although they were apparently short of numbers so if they could then you think they would have played: Johnson, McBride, Eyre, Brand, Baldwin, Hird.

Walla, Caldwell, Hooker got their games reviewed and it also mentions 'other bombers who have played at senior level' being involved in the scratch match: Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Martin Gleeson, David Zaharakis, Andrew Phillips, Nick Bryan and Ned Cahill.

The kids who haven't debuted yet aren't mentioned, so may or may not have played, although they were apparently short of numbers so if they could then you think they would have played: Johnson, McBride, Eyre, Brand, Baldwin, Hird.
According to this I’d say they did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back