Power's dirty run of injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 11, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide - SANFL
Well looks like the players are still being pushed hard on the track with 2 more players succumbing to hamstring niggles.........although I think this article overstates it a little with the word 'huge' as we really don't know how bad the injuries are and the real season still 3 weeks away........

Power's dirty run of injuries
By WARREN PARTLAND The Advertiser 08 Mar 2003

PORT Adelaide's horror pre-season injury toll has claimed two more victims with Jarrad Schofield and Paul Koulouriotis hit by hamstring problems.

The pair suffered the damage at training on Thursday and have been ruled out of tonight's trial clash with Fremantle at Subiaco.

The Power is hopeful both will be available for the club's opening battle in its premiership campaign against West Coast in Perth on March 29.

There are now 12 Port players out of action – Schofield, Koulouriotis, Cain Ackland (osteitis pubis), Che ****atoo-Collins (modified program), Damien Hardwick (hamstring), Adam Kingsley (hamstring), Brett Montgomery (back), Adam Morgan (hamstring), Warren Tredrea (knee), Michael Wilson (hamstring), Wade Champion (modified program) and Damon White (ankle).

Port Adelaide has yet to taste victory this season, having lost its Wizard Cup opener to Adelaide before losing to the Western Bulldogs in a trial last week.

For the club, that is annoying rather than cause for headaches. It believes it is the equal, at least, of Adelaide and the Crows are playing impressive football so the winless start to the pre-season is not a major concern.

What is a huge worry though is the length of the injury list.

"The group still has got some work to do, there's no doubt about it," coach Mark Williams said. "We're a little bit under siege as far as our preparation is. A few players are going to be up against the tide to see if they are available for round one.

"We have been trying to push the envelope trying to get five per cent better in a lot of different areas and maybe we have been pushing them too hard."

Given the depth of injuries, Williams said those players making the trip to Perth had a strong opportunity to push their case for a game against West Coast in three weeks.

Skipper Matthew Primus makes his season debut tonight while Chad Cornes and Darryl Wakelin return after missing the Bulldogs battle.

With Schofield and Koulouriotis already non-starters, youngsters Brett Ebert and Stephen Gilman are expected to be the other two players cut from the extended squad of 28 named on Thursday.

"We will certainly be looking to try to get better form than we showed last week," Williams said. "Adelaide has shown their form is pretty good and we are right up there with them.

"We are not too desperate as far as feeling bad about the whole situation. But to go over there (Perth), play on the same day and get a good result is going to be a difficult task."

The Power is hopeful both will be available for the club's opening battle in its premiership campaign against West Coast in Perth on March 29.

Hopefully that doesn't mean they're going to play Koula in round 1!!

BTW Ebert and Gilham were both named in the SANFL, for those who couldn't read the teams.

Originally posted by dreamkillers
It believes it is the equal, at least, of Adelaide and the Crows are playing impressive football so the winless start to the pre-season is not a major concern.

With the Cows sneaking a 4-point win over the Kangaroos tonight with a near-fullstrength side and winning over us by 1 point at the death; without a lot of our top players, I would say we are a lot more than the equal of them. And in both games, top players for the opposing sides(Tredrea and Archer) were injured in the game.

That's tempting bad karma pred. But I thought the hamstring curse was dealt with last year. Still at least it wasn't a monkey muscle, they are bloody sore, I've got a torn one at the moment, must go on a restricted program, only light beer or those smaller imported bottles.

Originally posted by Mudholian
That's tempting bad karma pred.
Not a fan of Kingsley's. He's too patchy, and will let us down in the Big One. At his best he's great, but his indecisiveness is costly, and can spread through the team. Might even kick him in the back of the leg myself (when I save the plane fare).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back