The Run home

Remove this Banner Ad

Since the bye, we've been average. Even Hinkley's almost win for the ages v Collingwood (at home mind you) is starting to not look so great.
Sitting at Marvel v Carlton I said to my sister we won't win another game. The novelty of Daddy on the bench has worn off and our continual player and injury mismanagement has again come to the fore.
Our great young midfield coached by Carr is carrying the team but come the business end it won't be enough.

Since the bye, we've been average. Even Hinkley's almost win for the ages v Collingwood (at home mind you) is starting to not look so great.
Sitting at Marvel v Carlton I said to my sister we won't win another game. The novelty of Daddy on the bench has worn off and our continual player and injury mismanagement has again come to the fore.
Our great young midfield coached by Carr is carrying the team but come the business end it won't be enough.
Remarkable, given the post on here a few days ago claiming after the embarrassing first showdown loss the club made Carr effectively de facto coach and during the bye week handed control back to Hinkley. Must be a total coincidence that since then we've gone from having won 13 straight to losing most of our games.

We will not get anywhere near Collingwood with their 80,000 screaming fans at the MCG. Collingwood had their lapse today and I do not think we will get close to them on the MCG. We have to finish second and get a home final then hope Collingwood get knocked out before the GF. That may sound defeatist but it is the reality of our situation.

We need to win all three games to have any realistic chance of the ultimate prize. Get a few key players back and we have a chance of doing that.

Collingwood had more than their lapse this weekend, they got out of jail against us, and have been comfortably beaten by Carlton and Hawthorn since.

Nick Daicos and Nathan Murphy were both injured yesterday and Collingwood fans are holding their collective breath on the results of scans. McRae conceded Murphy likely has a syndesmosis injury.

Collingwood had more than their lapse this weekend, they got out of jail against us, and have been comfortably beaten by Carlton and Hawthorn since.

Nick Daicos and Nathan Murphy were both injured yesterday and Collingwood fans are holding their collective breath on the results of scans. McRae conceded Murphy likely has a syndesmosis injury.

We’ve had our down form, had been going down for a while if you ask me, we just kept winning.

Perhaps Collingwood are entering their down period, a few weeks later than us.

I think we will be on an upward spike as of next week and run into form.

We’ve had our down form, had been going down for a while if you ask me, we just kept winning.

Perhaps Collingwood are entering their down period, a few weeks later than us.

I think we will be on an upward spike as of next week and run into form.

Yeah it might be wishful thinking but I liked what we brought yesterday in a backs to the wall game. We could easily have been smashed like guitars but fought out the game and with some equity in the umpiring would likely have won.

I expect us to at least win 2 of our last 3 and go into finals in good form with players returning.

Yeah it might be wishful thinking but I liked what we brought yesterday in a backs to the wall game. We could easily have been smashed like guitars but fought out the game and with some equity in the umpiring would likely have won.

I expect us to at least win 2 of our last 3 and go into finals in good form with players returning.

We need to start kicking the easy set shots more often from more players.

That’s all I wish for. Boring scoreboard pressure.

Reality is we have just lost 4 games in a row, 3 of which were sides sitting outside the 8. Geelong lost last week at the same ground to a bottom 4 side.

Based on what we have shown the last 2 weeks in particular GWS would be coming here next week feeling very confident. Richmond will be coming here in the last game of the year, most likey knowing that if they win they play finals and really liking their chances.

Just quietly, Freo would be liking their chances in a few weeks time also.

At this point, we are more likely to lose all 3and we are to win 2 of the 3.

Reality is we have just lost 4 games in a row, 3 of which were sides sitting outside the 8. Geelong lost last week at the same ground to a bottom 4 side.

Based on what we have shown the last 2 weeks in particular GWS would be coming here next week feeling very confident. Richmond will be coming here in the last game of the year, most likey knowing that if they win they play finals and really liking their chances.

Just quietly, Freo would be liking their chances in a few weeks time also.

At this point, we are more likely to lose all 3and we are to win 2 of the 3.

Well then you may as well pack up and go home if you think we're that cooked. You posted last night who cares what changes we make for the GWS game. If you're that uninvested go watch the women's world cup. What's the point?

You can choose to pursue your perceived future reality and I will choose mine. We've had a rough run, but there were signs to me we were turning a corner.

Losing to teams outside the 8? Carlton are in the 8 and we hit them as they found form, Adelaide are as good as any team in the lower reaches of the 8, Collingwood are top and we haven't won at Geelong in 16 years and are fighting for a spot in the 8. Also losing there last week meant Geelong were going to double down, they had an armchair ride and we had to make a heap of changes from our selected side on Thursday night.

Well then you may as well pack up and go home if you think we're that cooked. You posted last night who cares what changes we make for the GWS game. If you're that uninvested go watch the women's world cup. What's the point?

You can choose to pursue your perceived future reality and I will choose mine. We've had a rough run, but there were signs to me we were turning a corner.

Losing to teams outside the 8? Carlton are in the 8 and we hit them as they found form, Adelaide are as good as any team in the lower reaches of the 8, Collingwood are top and we haven't won at Geelong in 16 years and are fighting for a spot in the 8. Also losing there last week meant Geelong were going to double down, they had an armchair ride and we had to make a heap of changes from our selected side on Thursday night.
Great post Ford. At the risk of being labelled a “happy clapper”, which I am not, I also believe that there were some very good signs last night and I happen to think that the flag is wide open.

the loss tonight probably means 3rd or 4th finish, which translates to a tough september

fingers crossed but I fear a wasted season
FWIW, I think we’re more likely to have a good September if we have less expectation on us. A third place finish and upsetting Brisbane or Melbourne away from home in the first final after the pre-finals bye week, is achievable.

I started out this season expecting to be 8-12 place. We have had some close wins which inflate our W column but to be in the top 4, see the development of Rozee and Butters in particular, but also Jones, Bergman, Farrell, SPP, Williams (and Jackson in the reserves) introduction of Horne-Francis, Visentini and Rioli make this far from a wasted season regardless of our final finish.

On-field, we know where our clear weaknesses are and will work to rectify those in the off-season. Although Visentini may be lightening the load in one position.

Great post Ford. At the risk of being labelled a “happy clapper”, which I am not, I also believe that there were some very good signs last night and I happen to think that the flag is wide open.

Collingwood are stumbling, Brisbane look good but MCG would be a neutral venue if we played them, Melbourne's aura has diminished. The race is wide open.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood are stumbling, Brisbane look good but MCG would be a neutral venue if we played them, Melbourne's aura has diminished. The race is wide open.
Agree. I think we can recapture our best form before finals but injured personnel will be our obstacle, specifically Dixon and McKenzie.

Visentini in ruck through the finals is fine by me and based on his last two outings (in losses too) will be no worse than Lycett.

We can’t replace McKenzie adequately unless a miracle happens with Pasini. Jonas got away with an ok result last night because Cameron was not at his sharpest or best. He wouldn’t against Brisbane, Carlton and some other teams.

Lord has done ok but is no substitute for a fit and in form Dixon.

Agree with all of that, but Melbourne are in my opinion a sleeping giant and if they click on a given day they could still smack any other team off the park.

If, and obviously it's a very big IF Port get to the big dance I would much rather it be against the wobblers or brisvegas than the Dees.

Agree with all of that, but Melbourne are in my opinion a sleeping giant and if they click on a given day they could still smack any other team off the park.

If, and obviously it's a very big IF Port get to the big dance I would much rather it be against the wobblers or brisvegas than the Dees.
Brisbane are the abvious choice of match ups for us of GF day.

I was about to say, I don’t hunk that’s likely because Melb would not been in the box seat for second and Bris won’t beat them in the first final at the MCG, that said. Norf are currently 21 points up.

Brisbane are the abvious choice of match ups for us of GF day.

I was about to say, I don’t hunk that’s likely because Melb would not been in the box seat for second and Bris won’t beat them in the first final at the MCG, that said. Norf are currently 21 points up.
Norf by 26 points at 1/4 time, I was always a good judge. lol

ABC Grandstand is reporting that Nick Daicos will be out for 6 weeks with a hairline fracture in the right knee joint. Murpphy will also miss up to 3 weeks with syndesmosis. That will put a spanner in the Magpie works.

Collingwood have Geelong (MCG), Brisbane (Marvel) and Essendon (MCG) and if they were to lose those three and we won our three we would finish Minor Premiers. In fact as I look at the table, if they loose all three remaining games Collingwood could finish third and quite possibly have to go to Brisbane and face the Lions. Not sure any of that will happen but there is an outside chance.

The bottom line is we have to win all three of our games regardless of what the others do.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back