Bring home Stewie.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not a far shamer (would be hypocritical), but if you work in a high intensity sports industry with training equipment, dieticians, Physios and supplements on tap and are out of shape.

Then you’re a bit of a disgrace and it would be small wonder if the players won’t listen to you.
He was always big. He turned the 2008 Grand Final on it's head when he was easily the fattest player on the field.

This is one time you can suggest generics play a part in that his body likes to hold weight a lot easier than most and lose it a lot harder.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Dew is another example of great assistant coach, not so good as the main man.

The pressure is so much different because the assistant usually goes from a well run successful program/club to a poorly run program/club.

Off the top of my head, Chris Scott is the only assistant I can think of who has gone from a poor club, or at the time Freo had made the SF in 2010 after 2 poor years and has gone to a better run / more successful club.

I’m not a far shamer (would be hypocritical), but if you work in a high intensity sports industry with training equipment, dieticians, Physios and supplements on tap and are out of shape.

Then you’re a bit of a disgrace and it would be small wonder if the players won’t listen to you.
A lot of footy players enjoy that their training load allows them to eat a lot. You can see many of them are happy on retirement to not be training full time, but don't simultaneously reduce what/how much they eat. A coach doesn't need to be playing fit, they aren't there to compete with them during drills, but there's a minimum standard they should be showing. Not so much for the weight itself, but showing to their players that they still have the discipline they want them to have.

A lot of footy players enjoy that their training load allows them to eat a lot. You can see many of them are happy on retirement to not be training full time, but don't simultaneously reduce what/how much they eat. A coach doesn't need to be playing fit, they aren't there to compete with them during drills, but there's a minimum standard they should be showing. Not so much for the weight itself, but showing to their players that they still have the discipline they want them to have.
100% , As a person who has had heart issues myself I always see Stuart Dew and am concerned about his health he does not look well for a man of his age and being in an extremely stressful job he is a heart attack waiting to happen.

One of my inlaws - former AFL player - used to gobble down 2x main courses when eating at a restaurant.
Plus the accompaniments - entree, dessert.
No longer does he climb that food mountain.

Our coaching setup seems to be doing excellent this year. If it keeps working well then I don't want to shake it up dramatically by trying to slot in dew.

Being a duel premiership player and Hollywood starlet banger should be enough to garner respect.
It doesn’t hurt, but these are young men, ‘what have you done lately’ will be the question. Dew’s cool cred for that has long waned.
Now he’s a fat has been in some of their minds.

He was always big. He turned the 2008 Grand Final on it's head when he was easily the fattest player on the field.

This is one time you can suggest generics play a part in that his body likes to hold weight a lot easier than most and lose it a lot harder.

You can fight the type of fat genes he has with training and diet, he’s never going to be Rozee thin, but he has no reason (unless thyroid etc) for being how he is.

I’ve been in those environments, played decent levels. It MATTERS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can fight the type of fat genes he has with training and diet, he’s never going to be Rozee thin, but he has no reason (unless thyroid etc) for being how he is.

I’ve been in those environments, played decent levels. It MATTERS.
What if he's... happy?

It doesn’t hurt, but these are young men, ‘what have you done lately’ will be the question. Dew’s cool cred for that has long waned.
Now he’s a fat has been in some of their minds.
Are you talking about the same young men who have deified Ken Hinkley? With his comparable list of accomplishments?

Dew has felt for some time he should have had more support from Evans in particular, which is ironic given Evans’ public declaration of faith last week.

As is often the case in these situations, this was just a smokescreen. Dew’s days were numbered and he knew it.

He will be paid out six months of his salary due to Gold Coast being an AFL-supported club. That's likely around $300,000. He was contracted until the end of 2024.

Sources have suggested Dew became annoyed that Campbell would fly in and out from Sydney, where his family lives. Those who support Campbell argue where he spends his days off has no impact on his ability to do his job.

Had Gold Coast lost one or both of its Round 11 and Round 12 games, it’s likely Dew would have been sacked then.

100% , As a person who has had heart issues myself I always see Stuart Dew and am concerned about his health he does not look well for a man of his age and being in an extremely stressful job he is a heart attack waiting to happen.
Yeah agree wholeheartedly. For a bloke who's approaching middle age, he looks in very poor metabolic health (in an environment where he has access to physicians and dietitians, makes you wonder how that could happen).

Losing that job may be the best thing for him in the long run. He'll get an assistant job no dramas.

How can you say that without knowing what he eats?

If you're saying that being larger didn't affect his aerobic ability too much then fair enough, but that doesn't mean he can't help his size.

How can you say that without knowing what he eats?

If you're saying that being larger didn't affect his aerobic ability too much then fair enough, but that doesn't mean he can't help his size.
I think it is more difficult for him to control his weight than others. He's always been a bigger framed guy. I don't think he would have been able to get away with a really bad diet if his size is entirely his own fault. I am sure he was just as committed to everyone else in his playing days.

Compare him to Jarman who was a lean player, now he's a blimp. There's a guy who has let his diet and lifestyle out of control. I don't think Dew is the same as that.

I think it is more difficult for him to control his weight than others. He's always been a bigger framed guy. I don't think he would have been able to get away with a really bad diet if his size is entirely his own fault. I am sure he was just as committed to everyone else in his playing days.

Compare him to Jarman who was a lean player, now he's a blimp. There's a guy who has let his diet and lifestyle out of control. I don't think Dew is the same as that.

I think he's probably always eaten poorly but training and playing kept the weight to a manageable level. Now he's not moving and it's caught up with him.

He admitted that he indulged too heavily at the end of season trip in 2008.

I think he's probably always eaten poorly but training and playing kept the weight to a manageable level. Now he's not moving and it's caught up with him.

He admitted that he indulged too heavily at the end of season trip in 2008.

Very funny.

I don't think someone admitting to indulging on the premiership winning end of season trip is a huge revelation.

dew was always pretty big but he looks in the 140-150 kg vicinity these days which is not great. he doesn't need to be an athlete but if he can drop 20 or so he'll be a lot better off in the long run.
Stewy got to 120kg on his Mexico holiday between playing for Port and Hawthorn apparently. When he was young he was always pretty big and sometimes that's just the way it is.

Are you talking about the same young men who have deified Ken Hinkley? With his comparable list of accomplishments?
He does the father figure thing.
Dew isn’t leaning into that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back