The Run home

Remove this Banner Ad

Call me an eternal optimist, but maybe a qualifying final against Collingwood at the MCG would be a chance for us to do the 2002 qualifying final in reverse. The Pies finished 4th that year, and came to Football Park with nobody giving them a chance of knocking Port off. We all know what happened - it'd be a bloody sweet win if we could return the favour!!!
Sure but we won't finish top 4.
We just can't win without McKenzie forget it

Anyone who thinks the other top 4 sides will win all their remaining games simply hasn't been paying attention.

Second place still very achievable from my perspective. As others have mentioned finishing 3rd of 4th may actually be a blessing in disguise regardless.

As usual half the posters on this board have been overly negative and completely missed what actually mattered last night.

Butters looked back to his best, which is going to be the number one factor in determining how we go in September. JHF looked the best he has in months also.

If Butters, Rozee and JHF are 100% come finals time we are up to our eyeballs.

Coaches will looking to inject 4 - 5 core players back into the side this week which will improve the side dramatically.

Anyone who thinks the other top 4 sides will win all their remaining games simply hasn't been paying attention.

Second place still very achievable from my perspective. As others have mentioned finishing 3rd of 4th may actually be a blessing in disguise regardless.

As usual half the posters on this board have been overly negative and completely missed what actually mattered last night.

Butters looked back to his best, which is going to be the number one factor in determining how we go in September. JHF looked the best he has in months also.

If Butters, Rozee and JHF are 100% come finals time we are up to our eyeballs.

Coaches will looking to inject 4 - 5 core players back into the side this week which will improve the side dramatically.
In the last 3 games;
Melb play Carlton, Hawthorn and Sydney.
Bris play Adelaide (in Bris), Collingwood and St Kilda.

Melbourne would be favourite for all 3, given their percentage if we win all 3 we can't finish above them but if they do drop one, we need to win all three to pass them. Brisbane, you'd think they win 2/3. Like with Melbourne, given their % is so much better if they do drop one, we need to win all 3 to pass them.

From what we have seen the last month, we will be lucky to win one of our remaining three games.
As it stands, we are more likely to drop to 5th than climb back to second.

In the last 3 games;
Melb play Carlton, Hawthorn and Sydney.
Bris play Adelaide (in Bris), Collingwood and St Kilda.

Melbourne would be favourite for all 3, given their percentage if we win all 3 we can't finish above them but if they do drop one, we need to win all three to pass them. Brisbane, you'd think they win 2/3. Like with Melbourne, given their % is so much better if they do drop one, we need to win all 3 to pass them.

From what we have seen the last month, we will be lucky to win one of our remaining three games.
As it stands, we are more likely to drop to 5th than climb back to second.
What based on last nights game makes you think we drop the last 3 games? Keeping in mind we should get back 4 - 5 core players for next week?

Win next week and I think we win all 3. Lose and I think our upward trend in form regresses and the lack of wins takes its toll and we lose all of them.

The season is still wide open though. The form sides are outside of the top 4. Meanwhile all of the top 4 are down on form approaching the finals. Melbourne had been winning, but not all that convincing and benefitting from an easy run. Collingwood and Brisbane have hit losing form alongside us, with far fewer injuries.

Win next week and I think we win all 3. Lose and I think our upward trend in form regresses and the lack of wins takes its toll and we lose all of them.

The season is still wide open though. The form sides are outside of the top 4. Meanwhile all of the top 4 are down on form approaching the finals. Melbourne had been winning, but not all that convincing and benefitting from an easy run. Collingwood and Brisbane have hit losing form alongside us, with far fewer injuries.

Melbpurne's draw would make you think they finished 12th last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ABC Grandstand is reporting that Nick Daicos will be out for 6 weeks with a hairline fracture in the right knee joint. Murpphy will also miss up to 3 weeks with syndesmosis. That will put a spanner in the Magpie works.

Collingwood have Geelong (MCG), Brisbane (Marvel) and Essendon (MCG) and if they were to lose those three and we won our three we would finish Minor Premiers. In fact as I look at the table, if they loose all three remaining games Collingwood could finish third and quite possibly have to go to Brisbane and face the Lions. Not sure any of that will happen but there is an outside chance.

The bottom line is we have to win all three of our games regardless of what the others do.
If Collingwood lose to Brisbane then with Adelaide (H), Collingwood (A), St Kilda (H) then Brisbane will finish minor premiers. For Port to finish top, you need Brisbane to some how be capable of getting up against Collingwood at the MCG, but also losing to either the Crows or St Kilda at the Gabba.

Amazing to think Melbourne who finished minor round 2nd in 2022 in their last 6 rounds play 4 teams that didn't play finals last year, while Port who finished 11th play 2 teams that didn't make finals.

Seems legit.

We are playing the current 8th (home), 13th(Home) and 15th (Away).

It's probably the easiest last 3 on paper of the current top 8.

We should win all three. Freo in Perth make me nervous because they're unpredictable this year (and WA umpiring).

We'll probably get Eleni for at least one game which is a worry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back