Preview Practice Match v Collingwood Friday 24th Feb 11.00am @ Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we sure this game isn’t on Thursday 23 Feb? That’s what the AFL and Collingwood are saying…

I'm assuming we'll take in a squad of 30-35 and rotate them all through, basically everyone that's fit to play 30-60m on the day without injury concerns.

Want to see Kemp used in defence as little as possible, some first team-esque looks with Dow in them, and an effort to deploy Carroll in a practical split for him playing a full AFL match.

They can trial 2 rucks if they wish, but if it's not clicking into gear under genuine opposition pressure I'd like to see each get solo time with support from our taller mids and utilities.

Cowan, Hollands, Binns, Lemmey (ideally as a defender), Akuei (ideally forward/ruck), and Mirkov (forward/ruck) should all see 15-30m, fitness and vague form permitting.

Doesn’t mean anything for the collingwood game.

You’d assume they would as quite a few of the “unofficial” games last year were on kayo (including ours against st kilda if I remember correctly) but that statement only confirms the Sydney game will be broadcast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm assuming we'll take in a squad of 30-35 and rotate them all through, basically everyone that's fit to play 30-60m on the day without injury concerns.

Want to see Kemp used in defence as little as possible, some first team-esque looks with Dow in them, and an effort to deploy Carroll in a practical split for him playing a full AFL match.

They can trial 2 rucks if they wish, but if it's not clicking into gear under genuine opposition pressure I'd like to see each get solo time with support from our taller mids and utilities.

Cowan, Hollands, Binns, Lemmey (ideally as a defender), Akuei (ideally forward/ruck), and Mirkov (forward/ruck) should all see 15-30m, fitness and vague form permitting.
In the club video today with Kemp he said a he’s pretty much exclusively playing in defence.

Also everything I’ve seen so far has Lemmey up forward.

And I reckon they’re pretty keen to see what the two ruck setup looks like, especially starting a game with the option to sub one at will as the game progresses.

Will be pretty interesting to see how much game time the fringe (and beyond) players get, and similarly how close we stick to an expected best 22/23.

In the club video today with Kemp he said a he’s pretty much exclusively playing in defence.

And I reckon they’re pretty keen to see what the two ruck setup looks like, especially starting a game with the option to sub one at will as the game progresses.

Will be pretty interesting to see how much game time the fringe (and beyond) players get, and similarly how close we stick to an expected best 22/23.

Suspect Voss will use what he considers to be the best 26, available, for both matches

Note that I wrote 'want' not 'will'. I can have hopes, and similarly can freely call a tactical decision like that 'daft'.

The Club has form in these kinds of decisions having a poorer strike rate and invested effort compared to most clubs.
He's going to be playing at both ends this season in the VFL, but he's most needed at AFL level as a backup defensive option.
We saw plenty of it during 2022: it sucks, and we've made zero acquisitions that will genuinely change this dynamic, particularly if the 22 is how people are predicting it.

Given there are only 2 hitouts I think we will see the closest version to our best 22 we can field out there. A couple of extra might play a quarter or so then play the vfl match if there are players we want to take off early. Will give us a good indication of coaches thinking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back