Unofficial Preview Premiers vs the tuggers - Banter Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Grew up in West Footscray during my formative primary school years. Just down the road from where Albert 'A Fortunate Life' Facey was born. Met Dougie Hawkins when he visited my school. He was at the peak of his powers was Doug, and really had no time for us kids. Bit arrogant, up himself, aloof.

Dad was a half-arsed slicer/boner at the Smorgons meat works, and got kicked out of the Royal on Gordon St, Charlie Sutton's old Royal pub on Essex Street, and The Royal Courthouse Pub in the Nicholson St mall. Not sure they were all called Royal, but the point is you didn't have to go too far to find a pub in good ol Footascray.

He was the number 1 hustler at The Royal on Barkly St, and claims he was under the protection of the Croatians that were a permanent fixture.

He also got the arse from Hearts, where the road dips under the railway line on Victoria St. The Vietnamese had set up a pool hall on the corner there. Only problem was the bloody tables had no holes in 'em. Not sure how you play billiards like that.

I said just drink at The Plough ya spanner! He reckoned there were far too many aussies in there. I asked dad what he was going to do now he didn't have a local Balkan infested watering hole within walking distance. Like any good wog dad he blamed his behaviour on others, and declared the suburb of Footscray a decaying s**t hole unworthy of his residence.

His response was decisive and to the point "We moof to yarraville ****en." Luckily, me english has become gooder since we buggered orf from Footscray.

wow, you must be old enough to remember Richmonds last premiership.

Kudos to you, old dude!

Grew up in West Footscray during my formative primary school years. Just down the road from where Albert 'A Fortunate Life' Facey was born. Met Dougie Hawkins when he visited my school. He was at the peak of his powers was Doug, and really had no time for us kids. Bit arrogant, up himself, aloof.

Dad was a half-arsed slicer/boner at the Smorgons meat works, and got kicked out of the Royal on Gordon St, Charlie Sutton's old Royal pub on Essex Street, and The Royal Courthouse Pub in the Nicholson St mall. Not sure they were all called Royal, but the point is you didn't have to go too far to find a pub in good ol Footascray.

He was the number 1 hustler at The Royal on Barkly St, and claims he was under the protection of the Croatians that were a permanent fixture.

He also got the arse from Hearts, where the road dips under the railway line on Victoria St. The Vietnamese had set up a pool hall on the corner there. Only problem was the bloody tables had no holes in 'em. Not sure how you play billiards like that.

I said just drink at The Plough ya spanner! He reckoned there were far too many aussies in there. I asked dad what he was going to do now he didn't have a local Balkan infested watering hole within walking distance. Like any good wog dad he blamed his behaviour on others, and declared the suburb of Footscray a decaying s**t hole unworthy of his residence.

His response was decisive and to the point "We moof to yarraville ****en." Luckily, me english has become gooder since we buggered orf from Footscray.
Vale the iconic footscray pub. Now most are apartments. Hearts is still there. Not a favorite of mine but i did spend an hour or so there celebrating premiership status after the game. Would have done a pub crawl had the Albert and Royal still have been there and had i not been exhausted from the whole delerious day. Plus couldn't miss family day on Sunday.

Can't wait to relive it again, this time as an experienced campaigner.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Vale the iconic footscray pub. Now most are apartments. Hearts is still there. Not a favorite of mine but i did spend an hour or so there celebrating premiership status after the game. Would have done a pub crawl had the Albert and Royal still have been there and had i not been exhausted from the whole delerious day. Plus couldn't miss family day on Sunday.

Can't wait to relive it again, this time as an experienced campaigner.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I actually drove through Footscray the other week looking for the donut shop at footscray train station. Have to admit I shed a tear. 8bit burgers on droop street made up for it though. Waiting for my order I saw a few old timers stagger out of the TAB.

The pubs may have all been given the gentrification arse, but as long as Ted's Bike shop and Jimmy Wongs remain open, there is still hope mate.

wow, you must be old enough to remember Richmonds last premiership.

Kudos to you, old dude!
Shuddup! You youngsters don't know the half of it. In my day we didn't have computers, or the internet, or running water or air or food...walked to school in 3 feet of snow...

I actually drove through Footscray the other week looking for the donut shop at footscray train station. Have to admit I shed a tear. 8bit burgers on droop street made up for it though. Waiting for my order I saw a few old timers stagger out of the TAB.

The pubs may have all been given the gentrification arse, but as long as Ted's Bike shop and Jimmy Wongs remain open, there is still hope mate.

Shuddup! You youngsters don't know the half of it. In my day we didn't have computers, or the internet, or running water or air or food...walked to school in 3 feet of snow...
you had legs? pfff pansy

Most of the 90's I rented the terrace house right on the corner of Victoria and Buckley, across the road and a just the other side of the overpass. Used to buy wine from the bottle shop at Hearts. Once the bloke serving said to me, after I'd picked a bottle: "That would be red wine right?" and, after I replied "um, yes", added: "just trying to learn". On another occasion he rushed away from serving me because two big Maori blokes had started a punch on at the bar. He then came back to finish serving me and, as I walked out, I noticed the two Maoris were talking again at the bar like nothing had happened. I remember the billiard parlour well. There was a a tattoo shop opposite it run by a neo-Nazi skinhead and for years I was hoping to see a re-enactment of Romper Stomper when the Vietnamese blokes worked out the connection between this bloke and the anti-Asian stickers in the neighbourhood. I also remember the billboard outside the Royal Courthouse in the Mall: "Pension night special. Pots a dollar".

Richmond supporters to their children:

Child: What are your best footy memories?
Tugger: Well son, there were so many. Like having 68k members in 2017. I'll never forget that.
Child: Umm
Tugger: They were great times. Record memberships every year.
Child: But...
Tugger: Large crowds at home games for the first half of every season.
Child: What about the games?
Tugger: We won home and away games every year.
Child: Ok, but do you have a favourite?
Tugger: Probably the game they announced our record membership in 2016. What a day that was.
Child: Did you win?
Tugger: I can't remember. But that's not important, son. It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether a lot of people have paid a sum not to be there most weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back