Preseason 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Our membership and media department is really lacking compared to other clubs. It's sad because there's so so much potential there. The club does so much community work that would garner great PR but we seem to just keep everything behind closed doors. A revamp here would be my next big project for the dogs as it would begin to move us towards becoming a proper, stable, topline Vic club. We've got the profits, now let's capitalise on them.
Really hope the new president can add something in regards to marketing.

The main website just posted a 1min video of "Training". I am all for a hype video or some moments to get excited about for the new year, however, 55 seconds of steady eddie who's discovered how to add effects and 5 seconds of Jamara having a snap on goal does not get me excited. I get if they are trying to have a good hard low key pre-season. But seeing more of the drinks cart that stuffed Johno than actual training seems like a wasted opportunity. Ah maybe I'm getting old and whingy. This is the place to whine right?
You got the last bit right

How's Weightman been training? Does anyone have concerns that he might not make it? Ripping kid so would love him to pull it all together this/next year so interested in how hes been tracking this pre season

How's Weightman been training? Does anyone have concerns that he might not make it? Ripping kid so would love him to pull it all together this/next year so interested in how hes been tracking this pre season

He looked really good in the VFL practice match. My only concern is he’s a small like likes to play a bit tall. Goes for marks and leads where I’d prefer a crumbing/tackling small. But that seems to be the prototype modern small so I’d be surprised if he doesn’t make it. If he shows a defensive edge to his game he’ll be best 22 by the end of the season.

He looked really good in the VFL practice match. My only concern is he’s a small like likes to play a bit tall. Goes for marks and leads where I’d prefer a crumbing/tackling small. But that seems to be the prototype modern small so I’d be surprised if he doesn’t make it. If he shows a defensive edge to his game he’ll be best 22 by the end of the season.
Yes, he's fearless and a good mark for his size too. I liked his effort. I think he'll work out his strengths over the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He really does play like Jamie Elliot. He would give us a really different look, has some X factor and is a natural forward.

I think he’s going to take a bit of time though.

Will be interesting to see whether they experiment or just practice in the last few games

I would like to see something like:

West Naughton Wallis

Dale Schache VDM

Hunter Macrae Daniel
Martin Bont Libba

JJ Keath Cordy
Williams Bruce Crozier

Dunkley Trelor Smith English

I don’t think Gardner is as bad as many believe. I agreed at the start of the year but by the end of the year he showed real improvement. If he is able to keep improving he should make it into the team by the end of the year or through injury but right now I just don’t think he is ready. Bruce is a mature player, fast and strong in the air - we need him to do a Chris Grant - go back and kill it then go forward and be even stronger and cause chaos.

On occasion I would give Naughton a run in defence - eg if he has not clicked or Keath is not marking and then bring Bruce forward. This flexibility would be really powerful.

Cordy is an interesting one. He is in my team because Wood is injured. We have had Wood to OK in the third tall defender role Morris played and Crozier has taken his role as the marking defender. This is OK but while Wood is injured (and this could happen a bit) Cordy should play this role and be more suited to it than as a FB or CHB where he in both undersized and often under quality. I give him more leeway because on the ground he is a competitor and can work his way into games but he ain’t a star.

The forward line is fast and mobile which I think is the best now. Dale is in the team in form but out if he isn’t - he is on or off and not consistent enough to lock him in. At his best he is a star. Hannan will provide a good alternative and Bedendo looks fantastic. But seeing JUH in the reserves it will be almost impossible to keep him out - he was incredible and a constant threat.

Schache frustrates me too but have we seen him with Naughton and English in the forward line? He had a great game with Bruce because he was out of his way and his running opened up the forward line. This will work with Naughton too and avoid Bruce and he going for the same ball so much. I would like to see him as a running CHF - not Buddy but the general direction. He can kick beautifully from 60 and can really run. New rules will advantage guy runners.

He really does play like Jamie Elliot. He would give us a really different look, has some X factor and is a natural forward.

I think he’s going to take a bit of time though.
Really good comparison with Elliot. He does have a bit of X Factor about him so really hoping in the next year or two he has cemented best 22. He is probably competing for the Wallis position in our forwardline so it is good that Mitch has been a great mentor to Cody

Really good comparison with Elliot. He does have a bit of X Factor about him so really hoping in the next year or two he has cemented best 22. He is probably competing for the Wallis position in our forwardline so it is good that Mitch has been a great mentor to Cody
Wallis is a different player to Weightman. We could easily play both in the same team imo.

Wallis is a different player to Weightman. We could easily play both in the same team imo.
Honestly we could use all three of Wallis, Weightman and Cavarra/Vandermeer. One is a crumber, one is a marking threat with x-factor and one is essentially old reliable when the ball is in his hands.

The member exclusive interview Bob and Bevo is worth a watch.
Take outs are Martin and English both play early in season but question marks over whether English, Bruce and Naughton can all play forward.
Midfielders are going to be rotated through different roles or out of the team.
McNeil impressing. VDM pretty much best 22.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is it extremely slow and confusing to purchased tickets to the community series match V Melbourne.

Says the cost is $0 if I put my membership numbers in? Then takes forever to find me seats?

Is it just me or is it extremely slow and confusing to purchased tickets to the community series match V Melbourne.

Says the cost is $0 if I put my membership numbers in? Then takes forever to find me seats?

I tried right on 12 and it spun for a while then "We couldn’t find the tickets you searched for". Tried 3 times.

Still haven't received my pack so had to go looking for my barcode in one of the few emails I did receive.

If getting tickets to a pre season game against Melbourne (whose supporters don't go to Marvel) is this hard I get the feeling this is going to be a very trying season. Getting seats could be extremely time consuming and mostly unsatisfactory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back