Primus signs until 2006

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 11, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide - SANFL
Well it will be almost certain that Primus is on the vets list next year with a new contract just signed.....

Primus signs until 2006
PortAdelaideFC.com.au Mon 10 March, 2003

Power captain Matthew Primus will almost certainly see out his playing days with the Port Adelaide Football Club after signing a new long-term contract with the club.

The contract will see Primus wear the Power colours at least until the end of the 2006 season.

Primus, who turned 28 in January, said he was thrilled with the new deal.

“I’m really happy to have signed,” Primus said on Monday. “I want to play out my career at Port Adelaide so I’m pleased to have signed for a good length of time.”

Power chief executive Brian Cunningham was understandably delighted with the announcement.

“Matt has led our team through its two most successful years in the AFL while also rising to new levels as a player, winning All Australian honours and our best and fairest,” Cunningham said.

“His contribution on the playing field as well as to the psyche of the team off the field makes him irreplaceable.

“He is a loyal club man and we always expected him to stay at the Port Adelaide Football Club but to now have the deal done and have his long-term future secured here is obviously a proud day for our club.”

Primus, who joined the Power for its inaugural AFL season in 1997 after a year at Fitzroy, has played 129 AFL games, including 109 at the Power. He was deputy vice-captain in 1997 before progressing to vice-captain and then captain at the end of the 2000 season.

Primus won the Power best and fairest - the John Cahill Medal - in 2002. He is a two-time All Australian ruckman (2001 and 2002) and was named All Australian vice-captain in 2002.

it'd be great if he did, but I have doubts about him having four more seasons in him.

Primus that is, not Stevens.

Originally posted by Porthos
it'd be great if he did, but I have doubts about him having four more seasons in him.

Probably depends on what his role is in 3-4 years but I can see him seeing that time out without too many problems - a benefit of being a late starter in the game at the top level.......

I was thinking that as well, since undoubtedly his contract will be skewed in such a way as to have the smallest impact on the salary cap as possible. ie veterans list.
If he does not go the distance, and his contract does have components that need to be paid out, how will that impact on the salary cap if and when it occurs?

Originally posted by dreamkillers
Probably depends on what his role is in 3-4 years but I can see him seeing that time out without too many problems - a benefit of being a late starter in the game at the top level.......

Also had a year off (or best part of) due to a knee injury, probably in the wash up will help extend his career past his early 30's.

Most of those others didn't play the physical game that Primus does.

None of those three were the physical specimen that Matty is either. Sure he plays a physical type game but he has the size to do it, very rarely comes up against anyone bigger. Also as DK mentioned he was a late started, which will hold him in good stead, id think he'd play, sure not like he has done for the past two years, into his mid 30's (33-34).

The one that had a successful AFL career did though and I think Primus is much more of an athlete than Salmon ever was.......all be it with a bigger build which will only help........it's not as if he doesn't look after his body.........

I could even see him possibly playing longer if we find another quality ruckman and he fine tunes his forward play...........he's only just turned 28 and will be 33 if he fronts up in 2007.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose the main point I was trying to get across was that Primus can still be plenty of use. Rick Davies was a top ruckman who became a champion full-forward. Paul Salmon was a full-forward who became a ruckman. And Peter Carey started as one of the best CHF's in the SANFL before playing most of his games as a ruckman. And Primus has been doing more goalkicking lately. I don't see him moving to the goalfront in even the next 3 years but it's certainly an option.

Four more years, four more years, four more years

Matty's leadership is a valueable asset to us. To secure him to a long term contract shows the rest of the squad that rewards will be given when their due.

Originally posted by mic59
Does your sig mean anything, rubberman? If so, what does it say?

Russian proverb translates to:

do not dig a hole for another, you might just fall in it yourself.

I should actually put the trans in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back