Review Purple Tiger Tamers - Freo beat Richmond by 54 points at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

One little thing I loved today was when Dusty went the don't argue on Fyfe and Fyfe took the contact, casually stuck out one his huge mits and stripped the ball while Dusty was preoccupied with keeping Fyfe at a distance.
Most players would try to continue the tackle against the fend, Fyfe just rode it, reached out and knocked the ball out.

He just sees and thinks of things others don't.

Even the commentators had a chuckle, "just 2 old Brownlow medalists going head to head".
I love that Fyfe just grabbed Dusty's wrist that was held out and stopped him being able to get away or dispose of the ball

Dunno what to say. Easy in the end but should have been out of sight at HT.

We really need more from our smalls. Maybe show them footage of prime Ballas, Sonny, and Chopper so they know what they need to do pressure wise. Too many times Richmond waltzed it out too easily when the ball hit the deck.

Skills let us down at times but what is new. Hospital handballs are still a problem. I know we want to use the hands to get away from stoppage but sometimes a hack kick forward is better than passing to a teammate who gets drilled straight away.

I'm happy for Johnno. That is 2 good solid games in a row from him now. He is starting to justify his place in the team.

I think the midfield mix is probably about right but the wing opposite Sharp could do with more pace. I really want to see Stanley there or even try Simpson to get him some of the ball. He has shown in his limited possessions that he is class by foot and we could really use that going inside 50.

Something is seriously wrong with Amiss. His goal kicking has gone to absolute s**t and he is being out bodied way too easily. I lost count of how many times he hit the deck although one of those times was a clear free that wasn't paid due to Treacy taking a mark.

Treacy is THE guy. * your Logan McDonald bullshit off now please.

It might just be me but I think the commentators massively overrated Luke Ryan's game. 39 disposals but I don't think he really impacted the game all that much. Even from a defensive stand point he didn't have his usual influence.

Sonny is done. Say what you want Sonny defenders but he is cooked so damn bad. He is a complete liability and is continually costing us more goals than he is providing.

The deliberate against JOM in the last quarter was a massive joke. I have long thought those should be paid but you can't pay one and let the other 100 you will see across a weekend of football go.

If we want to beat Sydney next week we need to play much better than that.

Decent analysis and on balance I agree. People are getting excited but listen to any of the post game analysis from commentators and they are all saying the same thing. This was a pretty underwhelming performance against a team that is really struggling and suffering a seriour injury crisis right now. I'm not sure how obvious it was for those watching on TV but I have not seen a lower pressure game for a long time.

I think that the issue with Amiss is he is being manhandled by the biggest strongest defenders out there. People were rightly critical of Tabs, his back is clealry cooked, but early in the season he was taking the number 1 defender and getting double teamed. Now that is happening with Amiss. Again was really obvious at the ground how much he is getting worked over behind the ball.

Mmm not sure about a lot of that. I thought we flogged them, at the G as well.… there’s always problems but it was a v good team performance. Richmond are still a solid team - some good players on every line. They were absolutely steaming at the end which is a good sign from a proud club. I think they felt dominated.

Amiss is fine - he’s been in and out and will string some form together soon enough. The bigger problem is teams blocking and dragging him off the ball which is a recurring problem and not being umpired well (save for the final free)

I was at the ground and reading all the comments here can only assume it wasn't clear just how bad Richmond actually were for those watching on the TV. They were really, really poor centre back and there was a total lack of frontal pressure. I watch a lot of live AFL and they are the worst team that I have seen this year in terms of applying effective structural and man on pressure on the ball carrier. We had 238 kicks and 130 marks, and that can only happen via a lack of pressure.

I get that folks want to get excited, but this is really not a game to get excited about. We played badly and won, they were witches hats.

Listen to Luke Hodge below, he nails it:

Will Schofield on backchat: the dockers vs Richmond game was a s**t house game. Dockers were terrible and they wouldn't have beaten a top ten team.

Agree or disagree from objective pov..

I partly agree. Watching the game I was thinking it was a terrible game spectator wise and don't think the skills were that great. Great to bank the points though

Well - it's still the biggest lost for Richmond this season, including the game where Richmond beat Sydney. So we can't have been too terrible.

Decent analysis and on balance I agree. People are getting excited but listen to any of the post game analysis from commentators and they are all saying the same thing. This was a pretty underwhelming performance against a team that is really struggling and suffering a seriour injury crisis right now. I'm not sure how obvious it was for those watching on TV but I have not seen a lower pressure game for a long time.

I think that the issue with Amiss is he is being manhandled by the biggest strongest defenders out there. People were rightly critical of Tabs, his back is clealry cooked, but early in the season he was taking the number 1 defender and getting double teamed. Now that is happening with Amiss. Again was really obvious at the ground how much he is getting worked over behind the ball.

I was at the ground and reading all the comments here can only assume it wasn't clear just how bad Richmond actually were for those watching on the TV. They were really, really poor centre back and there was a total lack of frontal pressure. I watch a lot of live AFL and they are the worst team that I have seen this year in terms of applying effective structural and man on pressure on the ball carrier. We had 238 kicks and 130 marks, and that can only happen via a lack of pressure.

I get that folks want to get excited, but this is really not a game to get excited about. We played badly and won, they were witches hats.

Listen to Luke Hodge below, he nails it:

I didn’t think we played poorly to be honest…was a workmanlike performance and we drilled them in the last.

We have an age demographic that is the second or third youngest every week.
There will be variations in performance.

shes not the worst .
But female commentators are judged differently.
I think the general standard of tv commentary is lazy and poor.
Radio for me is a better because you have to be on to it, "style" is not enough.
Havent had much luck lately syncing a radio call with silenced tv but it used to be my ideal
OK I just watched the replay...
I call the pile-on on Kellie Underwood BS!
She knows all the players, calls all the play...
and doesnt make many mistakes/clangers.
I call prejudice!
And I dont give a chit about the sound of any ones voice...Except Basil...and maybe Dermot sometimes,
and James Brayshaw mostly.

Not a bad match call for mine.

I didn’t think we played poorly to be honest…was a workmanlike performance and we drilled them in the last.

We have an age demographic that is the second or third youngest every week.
There will be variations in performance.
And we handed them their biggest loss of the year. Sydney, current #1, didn't even beat them.

It was a professional, workmanlike performance with a few individual flashes of brilliance and a few examples of quick, dangerous ball movement. Can't complain.

Dunno what to say. Easy in the end but should have been out of sight at HT.

We really need more from our smalls. Maybe show them footage of prime Ballas, Sonny, and Chopper so they know what they need to do pressure wise. Too many times Richmond waltzed it out too easily when the ball hit the deck.

Skills let us down at times but what is new. Hospital handballs are still a problem. I know we want to use the hands to get away from stoppage but sometimes a hack kick forward is better than passing to a teammate who gets drilled straight away.

I'm happy for Johnno. That is 2 good solid games in a row from him now. He is starting to justify his place in the team.

I think the midfield mix is probably about right but the wing opposite Sharp could do with more pace. I really want to see Stanley there or even try Simpson to get him some of the ball. He has shown in his limited possessions that he is class by foot and we could really use that going inside 50.

Something is seriously wrong with Amiss. His goal kicking has gone to absolute s**t and he is being out bodied way too easily. I lost count of how many times he hit the deck although one of those times was a clear free that wasn't paid due to Treacy taking a mark.

Treacy is THE guy. * your Logan McDonald bullshit off now please.

It might just be me but I think the commentators massively overrated Luke Ryan's game. 39 disposals but I don't think he really impacted the game all that much. Even from a defensive stand point he didn't have his usual influence.

Sonny is done. Say what you want Sonny defenders but he is cooked so damn bad. He is a complete liability and is continually costing us more goals than he is providing.

The deliberate against JOM in the last quarter was a massive joke. I have long thought those should be paid but you can't pay one and let the other 100 you will see across a weekend of football go.

If we want to beat Sydney next week we need to play much better than that.
Dunno what to say???

Well - it's still the biggest lost for Richmond this season, including the game where Richmond beat Sydney. So we can't have been too terrible.
Richmond beat Sydney by 5pts...
Lost to Carlton by 5pts..
We held them to 49 points...
And the Dockers were terrible, unwatchable???
Golly Gosh, this place is weird sometimes.
We need to get a grip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We weren't terrible. We were pretty good.
I dont get this down playing of our performances when we won.

I watched the replay on Kayo this morning and now I see why people are so much more positive about it. The telecast doesn't go close to showing the lack of pressure applied by Richmond. So I suspect there's potentially a stark difference between those that watched live and those that watched the TV and their observations of the game. Most, if not all of the commentators that are crtitical of us were at the ground for the telecast or radio.

I was sitting with a large group of Freo members at the ground and none of us could believe the lack of frontal pressure being applied. We had plenty of forward movements where there was almost no structural defensive pressure applied and we still made it look very difficult for much of the first 3 qtrs. In the last qtr the tigers totally lost their way structurally and it looked very much like watching training drills rather than an AFL level match.

I guess some here are only interested in positive posts, others are more analytical.

I watched the replay on Kayo this morning and now I see why people are so much more positive about it. The telecast doesn't go close to showing the lack of pressure applied by Richmond. So I suspect there's potentially a stark difference between those that watched live and those that watched the TV and their observations of the game. Most, if not all of the commentators that are crtitical of us were at the ground for the telecast or radio.

I was sitting with a large group of Freo members at the ground and none of us could believe the lack of frontal pressure being applied. We had plenty of forward movements where there was almost no structural defensive pressure applied and we still made it look very difficult for much of the first 3 qtrs. In the last qtr the tigers totally lost their way structurally and it looked very much like watching training drills rather than an AFL level match.

I guess some here are only interested in positive posts, others are more analytical.
Meh, most concede it wasn’t a perfect game or some elite contest but we rested Fyfe and won by 50 points away against an average team while also holding to them to their lowest score of the year

Yep I’ll be sure to just read your posts now for the “real deal”

Will we see young resting more up forward?

That may allow Johnson to get more time inside even when Fyfe is playing. Have we seen enough of a midfield with Johnson, Fyfe, Brayshaw and Serong?
I swear I saw Serong resting forward in the last 1/4.
My old eyes were looking into the sun, so I could have been mistaken, but if so, I like it

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's criticising for the sake of criticism. We played what was in front of us. Richmond didn't pressure so we played chip mark and retained possession. We were in control the entirety of the game except for a ten minute patch of the third quarter where they lifted their effort.

I thought we played a really professional game. We had simple goals, get the four points, don't get any new injuries, and try to limit our fatigue. We absolutely had one eye on Sydney already, as evidenced by our substitution.

To criticise Freo for a nearly flawless execution of the plan because our opponent was undermanned is a confected negative argument.

There is only one legitimate criticism that I can take out of that game, and it's Andy Brayshaw's kicking, particularly his s**t house forward 50 entries.

It's criticising for the sake of criticism. We played what was in front of us. Richmond didn't pressure so we played chip mark and retained possession. We were in control the entirety of the game except for a ten minute patch of the third quarter where they lifted their effort.

I thought we played a really professional game. We had simple goals, get the four points, don't get any new injuries, and try to limit our fatigue. We absolutely had one eye on Sydney already, as evidenced by our substitution.

To criticise Freo for a nearly flawless execution of the plan because our opponent was undermanned is a confected negative argument.

There is only one legitimate criticism that I can take out of that game, and it's Andy Brayshaw's kicking, particularly his s**t house forward 50 entries.

I disagree, and it seems a number of professional commentators do as well. The valid criticism centers on our midfield dominance that failed to translate into effective forward movement for two quarters, despite minimal frontal pressure. A closer examination reveals we had a greater share of uncontested possession and marks in the first and fourth quarters, which is when we managed to score more freely due to controlling the ball and achieving deeper penetration. The issue is that such a game plan may not hold up against stronger teams that won't allow as much uncontested possession, and it's unlikely to be sustainable in finals where uncontested marks usually fall below our average, and far below the amount we had on Friday.

While you're entitled to your opinion that any criticism of the performance is unwarranted or fabricated, I believe it's a superficial analysis to claim that Brayshaw's kicking is the sole valid critique.

None of this implies that there's no hope or positive aspects to take away from the game either. Ultimately, time will determine if JL and the team can adapt to a more contested style of football with effective forward thrust against the better teams. Friday night game will be a significant test, hopefully we can go contested and still move the ball effectively. If we do that we have a good channce of an upset. If we try to play kick mark uncontested against the Swans we will be in serious trouble.

Him, from his barracking for them on the weekend 😜

Brad Johnson has had no love for Fremantle for a very long time. I don't know if it stemmed from his time when St Kilda were a problem for his Dogs making a grand final transferred to Freo when Lyon moved over.

First, gotta get this off my chest. Not directed at any single individual, but the whole "you must've been watching on TV / If you were at the ground" thing sh*ts me no end. It reeks of superiority, and unless you genuinely spend the entire game watching anything and anywhere other than the ball, I think the supposedly greater insights you get from watching the game from a fixed position, at a distance from large passages of play, are vastly overstated, and at best can be assumed to be valid only for defined moments or periods of the game, rather than its entirety. And I say this as someone who has for the last 12 years* attended every home game bar 3, and taken in the odd interstate game, including this last one at the G.

*Yes, I am obviously so much less a supporter and so much less able to make comment on Freo/football because I am not a foundation member of Freo (nor a member of the 1940s of one of the WAFL teams).

End rant.

I disagree, and it seems a number of professional commentators do as well. The valid criticism centers on our midfield dominance that failed to translate into effective forward movement for two quarters, despite minimal frontal pressure. A closer examination reveals we had a greater share of uncontested possession and marks in the first and fourth quarters, which is when we managed to score more freely due to controlling the ball and achieving deeper penetration. The issue is that such a game plan may not hold up against stronger teams that won't allow as much uncontested possession, and it's unlikely to be sustainable in finals where uncontested marks usually fall below our average, and far below the amount we had on Friday.

While you're entitled to your opinion that any criticism of the performance is unwarranted or fabricated, I believe it's a superficial analysis to claim that Brayshaw's kicking is the sole valid critique.

None of this implies that there's no hope or positive aspects to take away from the game either. Ultimately, time will determine if JL and the team can adapt to a more contested style of football with effective forward thrust against the better teams. Friday night game will be a significant test, hopefully we can go contested and still move the ball effectively. If we do that we have a good channce of an upset. If we try to play kick mark uncontested against the Swans we will be in serious trouble.
In my opinion, the pressure was low, yes, though at least in part because Freo made it low. They played and held the full width, making good use of consecutive switches, and using what they gambled would be their superior fitness (given the oppo's number of kids) to stretch Richmond's zone, tire them out and then dominate in the fourth.

You might be right that this "game plan" won't hold up in finals, but the question to consider is whether it was precisely a game plan and not a season plan to be stuck to at the business end. I'm skeptical of the utility of an idea of "game plan" as an analytical device, let alone a predictive one, but — without denying that coaching and playing groups aim for a certain degree of consistency and predictability — I think we've seen enough variation across the games this season to suggest that the core group are comfortable enough playing together to at least attempt to implement different strategies at different moments in games.

That's not to say that it's in any way guaranteed to work. If it does rain on Friday, this will be one of the interesting things to keep an eye on, as lots of people have already noted.

One thing I do agree with you on, though, is the overstating of the terribleness of Brayshaw's kicking. He was responsible for some quality I50s and other moments, as much as he botched a couple. Meanwhile, Serong started the second with a couple of terrible shanks, but no one seems to be highlighting Serong's "sh*t" kicking as the only legitimate thing to criticise.

Richmond parked the bus looking to not get flogged (because that's what gets coaches sacked). They held their zone deep and only attacked from deep. We were essentially playing a less competent and even more defensive version of our own gameplan. I mean people understand there are consequences to playing a pressure game if it fails right?

It've been nice to have gained greater return on our dominance but it's not like anyone else has done better picking their way through the Tigers in recent weeks. In fact we've ended up doing better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back