QFA Div 2 North

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, my point is it was probably always unlikely they go up in the short term

Probably could go up and be competitive but resources are finite and probably better to put into making sure adding the third team is a success and sustainable. Plenty of examples of clubs going from 3 teams to 1 very quickly

Plenty who've been doing it successfully for a long time as well. Morningside, Sherwood, Maroochydore, Mayne, Coorparoo...

Plenty who've been doing it successfully for a long time as well. Morningside, Sherwood, Maroochydore, Mayne, Coorparoo...

Coorparoo and Sherwood the standouts there, and for a while Yeronga as well - but it can go pear shaped very quickly as Yeronga showed after 10 years of 3 teams, they suddenly had 1 for 2 years.

Coorparoo have probably had 3 senior teams for about 8 or 9 years? Sherwood have had 3 teams since as far back as I can remember.

Morningside and Mayne relatively new entrants in that space. Maroochy also, but they had to play in a Saturday comp with thousands of km of travel until 2018

Why is it some need to hose down or belittle clubs that are taking a chance and trying to improve thier position in qld footy.
Some take longer than others to do it but I'm sure it's in every clubs mind to move up or to create an area for everyone to play.
Personally I hope you all succeed in your quest.
It will be good for your club players supporters and footy in general.
Off course it's going to be difficult and at times you might take a beating but that's the challenge.
But bagging a club that's doing something your not doesn't sit well.
I wish the boys well in thier endeavour in div 1.
Good luck to us and hinterland trying to get a third side as well as the others thinking of doing this.
I've heard there's a few more looking at Friday footy either for the first time or adding another team.
Hoping Gympie stay the path and get the numbers.
My thought has always been on the field we are opponents. Off the field we should have the best intrests of footy at the forefront.
Looking forward to some positive banter next year on this thread.

Coorparoo and Sherwood the standouts there, and for a while Yeronga as well - but it can go pear shaped very quickly as Yeronga showed after 10 years of 3 teams, they suddenly had 1 for 2 years.

Coorparoo have probably had 3 senior teams for about 8 or 9 years? Sherwood have had 3 teams since as far back as I can remember.

Morningside and Mayne relatively new entrants in that space. Maroochy also, but they had to play in a Saturday comp with thousands of km of travel until 2018

Maroochy have fielded a thirds side for at least the last 11 years (that's as far back as AFLQ's online records go). Mayne and Morningside 7 and 6 respectively. I should've mentioned UQ initially as well, who've had three teams the last 9 years.

There's much bigger issues at play when a club drops from three teams to one. To pin it on their thirds is lazy.

If your governance and culture are in order, and you have the numbers, why wouldn't you run three teams? I've spoken with people at most of the above mentioned clubs specifically about their thirds, and the response has always been positive.

We've had 3 teams for 20 odd years, or as long as I can remember anyway. In that time, UQ has had 3 for at least 10 years but I can't think of anyone else with that longevity. Yeronga were an original, but they dropped to 1 team a few years back.

We've had years where we have had 5 teams in the comp, it really started to explode in 2013 or so and then by 2016 it got so big they started splitting it into 2 comps. Looks like it continues to grow with other clubs adding a 3rds and its great. Don't see why anyone wouldn't do it if they have the numbers

It’s a great idea if you have too many points and you need to squeeze another player in by making them “marquee ” 🤣

We actually supported the Marquee player concept in the QAFL, but it didn't get up. Our position is that its fine, but the player point value can't change - just their payment can be excluded from the cap.

The cap seems a bit elastic anyway from what we have noticed, so the points cap becomes critical and shouldn't be tampered with.

Also think they need to be genuinely marquee, not just 1 nominated player paid outside cap. Need to meet some qualifications to be marquee, like 100 aFL games or similar.

We've had 3 teams for 20 odd years, or as long as I can remember anyway. In that time, UQ has had 3 for at least 10 years but I can't think of anyone else with that longevity. Yeronga were an original, but they dropped to 1 team a few years back.

We've had years where we have had 5 teams in the comp, it really started to explode in 2013 or so and then by 2016 it got so big they started splitting it into 2 comps. Looks like it continues to grow with other clubs adding a 3rds and its great. Don't see why anyone wouldn't do it if they have the numbers
We all said that Friday nite footy would grow but what do you think the comps will look like if let's say 4 more teams this year.

We actually supported the Marquee player concept in the QAFL, but it didn't get up. Our position is that its fine, but the player point value can't change - just their payment can be excluded from the cap.

The cap seems a bit elastic anyway from what we have noticed, so the points cap becomes critical and shouldn't be tampered with.

Also think they need to be genuinely marquee, not just 1 nominated player paid outside cap. Need to meet some qualifications to be marquee, like 100 aFL games or similar.
I don’t Like it . It’s a unfair advantage at this level for clubs that have money .Compared to the ones that don’t .

I don’t Like it . It’s a unfair advantage at this level for clubs that have money .Compared to the ones that don’t .
Not in favor of a overs player.
We all have the same cap and points.
Some clubs have money some don't and that's just the way it is. To be honest if we had a budget to match some other clubs I'm not sure we would use it to pay players.
Bringing in paid players over your core unpaid players never ends well.
Better ways to spend cap than on just a few at this level.

Maroochy have fielded a thirds side for at least the last 11 years (that's as far back as AFLQ's online records go). Mayne and Morningside 7 and 6 respectively. I should've mentioned UQ initially as well, who've had three teams the last 9 years.

There's much bigger issues at play when a club drops from three teams to one. To pin it on their thirds is lazy.

If your governance and culture are in order, and you have the numbers, why wouldn't you run three teams? I've spoken with people at most of the above mentioned clubs specifically about their thirds, and the response has always been positive.

Agreed but it does take time and effort to get established. Certainly if after a year or three your club has created the conditions for the thirds team to be a success (i.e. good footy that is also very social) it should almost be self-sustaining. just takes a bit of getting right in the beginning.

Most businesses fail in the first 2 years, to borrow an analogy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all said that Friday nite footy would grow but what do you think the comps will look like if let's say 4 more teams this year.

Friday night is going to continue to grow 4 new teams probably won’t cause a reshape of the comp but in future possibly div 3/4/5 or north south central as it has been in the past whichever would accommodate for clubs the best. Wondering if you are thinking of a Kedron- Murrie Mavericks revival? I know they are associated with ferny grove at the moment but would be great to see them have their colours back and return to kedron.

Friday night is going to continue to grow 4 new teams probably won’t cause a reshape of the comp but in future possibly div 3/4/5 or north south central as it has been in the past whichever would accommodate for clubs the best. Wondering if you are thinking of a Kedron- Murrie Mavericks revival? I know they are associated with ferny grove at the moment but would be great to see them have their colours back and return to kedron.
I carnt and won't speak on the clubs behalf but on a personal note.
As a previous player and coach of the mavericks I would love to see that connection again.
They were there when kedron had no senior side and in fact they helped kedron get back to playing footy again.
I loved the jumper and the lads involved at that time.
But there has been to my knowledge no contact in regards to this.

perhaps need to look at a 3rd division competition, that is a genuine 3rds and another competition that is the single team senior sides. that might fix some of the talent disparity between leagues, as the genuine Senior sides seem to dominate (as they should) over the 3rds teams.

perhaps need to look at a 3rd division competition, that is a genuine 3rds and another competition that is the single team senior sides. that might fix some of the talent disparity between leagues, as the genuine Senior sides seem to dominate (as they should) over the 3rds teams.

3 of the last 4 Div 3 flags have been won by 3rds teams, with the anomaly being Park Ridge when they had one season in the comp after winning Div 2.

This year 4 of the top 6 in Div 3 were 3rds teams.

In Div 4 a Senior team won the GF by a point, and 2nd to 5th on the ladder were 3rds teams.

Exactly half of each competition were 3rds and the other half were senior sides.

There is zero evidence that Senior sides are dominating either competition. In fact, arguably the opposite is happening.

Wouldn’t a stand alone single team division be better then 3 Friday night comps ? Plenty of clubs probably want to move to Saturday but it’s hard . Also Saturday clubs that lose players can go there instead of Friday if they’re struggling.

Wouldn’t a stand alone single team division be better then 3 Friday night comps ? Plenty of clubs probably want to move to Saturday but it’s hard . Also Saturday clubs that lose players can go there instead of Friday if they’re struggling.
100%

Get what your saying mate but unfourtanaly the game has grown faster than aflq.
That means they are struggling enough with umpires on Saturdays now.
I would imagine that if a Saturday comp got up there would be no umpires to fill it.
All good if clubs can supply but it's bloody hard as you know.

That’s a slippery slope though with clubs suddenly dropping from two teams and wanting to stay in same comp and say field two’s or only play two’s.

I would imagine that if a Saturday comp got up there would be no umpires to fill it.
Plus oval space

Yes tough for a stand alone club even when 2 teams is eventually the goal, you can have a list where 50% or more of your players want to play Friday’s and keep their weekends free or have work commitments. Certainly be some thirds teams that have quite a few players that could slot into their seconds who choose to play Friday nights. Whatever gets more players playing.

Yes it sure is hard getting umpires! Surely there’s room for it though . You have pac pines and north shore in the same division. Man that would be tough on a Friday night instead of a Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back