Roast Quality of the DVD's

The 2008 GF was broadcast in HD by Channel 10. I still have my recording of it (in HD)
2008 was a channel 7 telecast.

2015 was broadcasted in HD so the blame would fall on the producers of the dvds.

I think the cameras at the grounds are all HD but just broadcast on SD.

The quality of video is not that big an issue on, tv but watching the dvds are terrible. Thats not the broadcasters fault how their footage is compressed onto disc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

2008 was a channel 7 telecast.

2015 was broadcasted in HD so the blame would fall on the producers of the dvds.

I think the cameras at the grounds are all HD but just broadcast on SD.

The quality of video is not that big an issue on, tv but watching the dvds are terrible. Thats not the broadcasters fault how their footage is compressed onto disc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yes you are right, that year both 7 and 10 were doing some games each. There was an HD broadcast of it however, so if anyone wants a copy pm me. It's not edited however so still has the ads etc as originally broadcast. I was and am too lazy ;-)

Should I not even bother unwrapping the ultimate DVD set and just burn it? It's 2015 not 1998!!! What a disgrace!so much for celebrating an historic three peat I wonder what the lions set was like back in the day?

Should I not even bother unwrapping the ultimate DVD set and just burn it? It's 2015 not 1998!!! What a disgrace!so much for celebrating an historic three peat I wonder what the lions set was like back in the day?

Some people get good results and some obviously dont....... got a coin?

I am glad I unwrapped mine..... much enjoyment already. Although I keep seeing Hale and Lake doing critical things in big games that we otherwise might have lost, and that worries me a little. But that's my only complaint so far!

Some people get good results and some obviously dont....... got a coin?

I am glad I unwrapped mine..... much enjoyment already. Although I keep seeing Hale and Lake doing critical things in big games that we otherwise might have lost, and that worries me a little. But that's my only complaint so far!
I'll check it out anyway...hey we won three cups.... can't have everything....as long as I can kind of make out hodgey planting a kiss on judas all will be good!

I got in touch with Hawks Nest about the quality of the DVD's. They were excellent about it and I believe would have gone as far as replaced them or refunded me if I had asked.
They mentioned that they hadn't had any negative feedback about the quality of any DVD's and I was quite surprised by that judging by some comments here.
I said that the authoring and compression of the DVD's was very poor and the result wasn't a quality product. I also mentioned that the extra commentaries are often out of sync with the vision (something that also occurs on my 20078 GF DVD)
They told me that they were going to contact their supplier about the quality; hopefully something can be done.

I'd suggest if you are disappointed in the quality of the DVD's then get in touch with Hawks Nest and let them know, the more they know that the quality isn't acceptable it may result in a better product

This fills me with a warm inner glow.

I just went out and invested 20 cents on a long-term compounded interest investment which will be rolled over into a bet on the hawks for the 20078 premiership.

Having this kind of inside info is probably frowned upon, but there will be some future descendents that will be happy.

Mine arrived today. As someone who gets irrationally irritated watching anything in SD, Im scared to watch it

I have absolutely zero macroblocking with this set (so far). Close up action is almost HD quality. Mid range action is good with a slight shimmer when the camera pans slowly over any logo with horizontal lines (which is usually only at the centre bounce). Long range shots introduce some softness and slight shimmer on the crowd in the background but I expect that with an SD source. When I watch games on free to air tv the goal posts often shimmer really badly, whilst watching these they are generally perfect. (Just for a fun I will try it on my projector set up over the weekend).

I have manually set my player output to 1080p 50hz in the settings. Make sure you don't have the player output settings on auto, they should be set to match your tv resolution so your player does the conversion rather than your tv. (If it's a half decent player it should have access to these settings and should do a pretty good job of converting 576i to 1080p but some players are better than others at this conversion)

The worst case scenario will be an older dvd player that does not do any processing/upscaling which sends 576i resolution signal to the tv. Many TV's will make a mess of that and monitors generally do not have any processing circuitry in them at all so will just be displaying 576i.

Cheers, I'll give that a try

When I currently watch it there is a box around the score in the bottom left that is all blurry. There are halos around the players when they move that is all blurry. Numbers are blurry and not sharp at all.
It looks a lot worse than just watching a TV broadcast of the game.
I have no problems watching any other DVD's, they look perfectly acceptable

Mine arrived today. As someone who gets irrationally irritated watching anything in SD, Im scared to watch it
Yes..... if you have been watching a lot of hi-def stuff it is certainly a shock to go back to the dvd format. If they in fact do have hd source material for all these games they should produce it on blu-ray. Who knows..... maybe have a few drinks first?

I have no problems watching any other DVD's, they look perfectly acceptable

I guess we have to compare it to dvd's of similarly fast moving sports produced for tv. On top of everything else, most lcd tvs arent very good at fast moving sports images. Many tv's have motion-smoothing and noise-reduction settings that can really stuff up sport viewing. These are usually set on tv inputs such as dvd on an individual basis. It's worth turning them off or trying different settings. At the end of the day, by today's standards, its a low resolution medium but hopefully you can still enjoy the games.

I guess we have to compare it to dvd's of similarly fast moving sports produced for tv. On top of everything else, most lcd tvs arent very good at fast moving sports images. Many tv's have motion-smoothing and noise-reduction settings that can really stuff up sport viewing. These are usually set on tv inputs such as dvd on an individual basis. It's worth turning them off or trying different settings. At the end of the day, by today's standards, its a low resolution medium but hopefully you can still enjoy the games.

I've got a Panasonic plasma. No inferior LCD tech for me :)
First thing I did was turn off all the 'helpful' picture 'enhancers'.

If it's a low res medium then how come other DVD's look a lot better? I've got a load of concert DVD's and movies that look much better. I've ripped some of my DVD's and stream them over my network to my TV and they look a lot better (and file size is less than a gig)

if compression is the issue, why not put each half on a separate disc?
Cost.

And while most on here would be willing to pay through the nose for a 20 disc premiership pack with every final on blu-ray in 1080p with dolby surround sound and digitally remastered radio commentaries, there are a lot who are happy just to spend $20-$30 on a shoddy DVD copy. They could do both I guess but they know this group of diehards are the ones who'll buy the poor version anyway. Why put effort into making a quality product when you can make the same money in far less time with a far inferior product?

Yes..... if you have been watching a lot of hi-def stuff it is certainly a shock to go back to the dvd format. If they in fact do have hd source material for all these games they should produce it on blu-ray. Who knows..... maybe have a few drinks first?

Thats a given..

Watched the 2014 highlights dvd. It wasn't bad but it definitely wasn't the quality of other DVDs I've seen in the past, shame.

I have manually set my player output to 1080p 50hz in the settings. Make sure you don't have the player output settings on auto, they should be set to match your tv resolution so your player does the conversion rather than your tv.

This is a great idea. Will try it out on my Samsung Blu Ray/DVD player (Sony TV) and post results. Thanks.

I'm gunna get slaughtered here I know... But here goes...

I grew up in an area that dictated that we ONLY received the ABC signal. This was pre colour TV days and even then, each evening we would have to spend up to half an hour adjusting the direction of the arial which was on a 20 foot pole leaning against the roof guttering. This would, at best, give us a picture that was always affected by snow. We learnt to squint a bit to alleviate this and the crappy special effects of Dr Who were a little less obvious.

While I agree that it's nice to be able to watch the footy on a shiny big screen with really black blacks and OMO quality colours, I'm feeling that a few people have been spoilt by modern technology.

Yes I agree, the AFL should in all cases ensure that the product they produce be of the highest quality. But I'm happy to watch anything Hawthorn related on my 42 inch Panasonic Plasma. It's five years old now and I don't have to adjust the arial anymore...

Peace... *ducks for cover*

I grew up in an area that dictated that we ONLY received the ABC signal. This was pre colour TV days and even then, each evening we would have to spend up to half an hour adjusting the direction of the arial which was on a 20 foot pole leaning against the roof guttering. This would, at best, give us a picture that was always affected by snow. We learnt to squint a bit to alleviate this and the crappy special effects of Dr Who were a little less obvious.

While I agree that it's nice to be able to watch the footy on a shiny big screen with really black blacks and OMO quality colours, I'm feeling that a few people have been spoilt by modern technology.

Yes I agree, the AFL should in all cases ensure that the product they produce be of the highest quality. But I'm happy to watch anything Hawthorn related on my 42 inch Panasonic Plasma. It's five years old now and I don't have to adjust the arial anymore...

While I'm on board with the "be thankful for what you have" perspective this isn't one of the cases where things are poor by circumstances outside of control. This is a product being sold at a price that warrants far better quality than it actually is. They make this product as cheaply as they can to improve profit margins. They can do this because they know their market is passionate and will buy it regardless.

If it was a 3rd the price then it would be fair.

When I currently watch it there is a box around the score in the bottom left that is all blurry.

This is what it looks like on mine. (Only taken with a mobile phone though - unfortunately that adds it's own artifacts)

upload_2015-12-22_10-4-26.png

nah.... you can still read them :) Luckily there is no 11th quarter or it could get quite confusing!
Also forunate the game isn't played in HawaI'I

So true - I lived in suburban Melbourne near a freeway and we had to have aerial just right to minimise snow and forget about getting SBS at all.

Back