Discussion Question and Answer Thread

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Has anyone got a vector file with the official AFL numbers like this?
2wnr48y.png

Yeh, not an AFL response that i would assume?

I know the reasons for it, im actually curious if the AFL came out and said "it is done because X" in anything official.
Let me elaborate a bit better now I have time.

I believe Mero has said before that the first 2 seasons the replicas sold out like hot cakes, but after that the sales fell dramatically (a mixture of the novelty worn off and clubs running into the era of their current jumper. Richmonds last one was our home with a fake stitching print and other clubs made up jumpers mixing old ones together) so it lost its heritage appeal (Richmond also made up jumpers) and then the manufacturers sort of asked it to end as they were losing money making up replicas that didn't sell and then the AFL lost interest (stopped the umpire heritage kits, the heritage logo) so I think it came down to manufacturers and clubs saying it had run its race

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Reading about the whole power prison bar thing made me think.

Whatever happened to heritage round? Do we know why it got scrapped? As in did the afl ever actually give a reason in a press release or anything?
Heritage Round was expected to provide another source of revenue for clubs as they would have a traditional design for supporters to purchase.
Expectations were based on the Rugby League success that was enjoyed with old school designs with old school sponsors on an old school template.
Think baggy rugby league jerseys of the 1980s.
The problem, however, the 1980s designs were not all that different from the current design, and the older designs had no hold on the public.
Before the 1970s footy jumpers were not readily available to the public. There was no AFL Store or Rebel Sport with rows of them for sale.
Mostly you had to get your Nana to knit one. So the sentiment around getting a jumper 'just like you had in the 1980s as a kid' was not there.
So designs from this era are generally regarded as the 'traditional designs'. Footscray going back to their 1935 jumper, or Carlton going back to their 1890s canvas lace-up design has no hold over the current fan base. Other clubs wore basically the same; Essendon a thinner sash, Geelong printed laces on thinner hoops and Collingwood Black & White stripes.
Clubs were encouraged to purchase large numbers of the jumpers, expecting the sort of success 1989 South Sydney jerseys were getting with Smiths Crisps sponsorship on them.
Sales were poor, and several clubs who had bought in large numbers of jumpers found they could not sell half of what they ordered, meaning that in fact they lost money on the Heritage Round. The Wholesale price being half of the Retail price, they were buying them for $50 from the apparel sponsor, selling them for $100. If they ordered 100, they spend $5k. They needed to sell 50 of them at $100 to break even.
Eventually they found AFLauctions.com.au could sell game worn jumpers online and the club could guarantee they would make money, since they don't pay for game worn jumpers, it's part of the apparel sponsorship for the manufacturer to provide a certain number of player issue jumpers each season.
One-off promotional jumpers are now more successful as the money made out of them is mostly determined by whether the team wins on that day.
Plus, they can do whatever they like to them to make them different from the Home jumper, for the collectors who want something different.
With the Heritage designs, they're stuck with what appears here: http://footyjumpers.com/clubs.htm

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Heritage Round was expected to provide another source of revenue for clubs as they would have a traditional design for supporters to purchase.
Expectations were based on the Rugby League success that was enjoyed with old school designs with old school sponsors on an old school template.
The problem, however, the 1980s designs were not all that different from the current design, and the older designs had no hold on the public.
Before the 1970s footy jumpers were not readily available to the public. There was no AFL Store or Rebel Sport with rows of them for sale.
Mostly you had to get your Nana to knit one. So the sentiment around getting a jumper 'just like you had in the 1980s as a kid' was not there.
So designs from this era are generally regarded as the 'traditional designs'. Footscray going back to their 1935 jumper, or Carlton going back to their 1890s canvas lace-up design has no hold over the current fan base. Other clubs wore basically the same; Essendon a thinner sash, Geelong printed laces on thinner hoops and Collingwood Black & White stripes.
Clubs were encouraged to purchase large numbers of the jumpers, expecting the sort of success 1989 South Sydney jerseys were getting with Smiths Crisps sponsorship on them.
Sales were poor, and several clubs who had bought in large numbers of jumpers found they could not sell half of what they ordered, meaning that in fact they lost money on the Heritage Round. The Wholesale price being half of the Retail price, they were buying them for $50 from the apparel sponsor, selling them for $100. If they ordered 100, they spend $5k. They needed to sell 50 of them at $100 to break even.
Eventually they found AFLauctions.com.au could sell game worn jumpers online and the club could guarantee they would make money, since they don't pay for game worn jumpers, it's part of the apparel sponsorship for the manufacturer to provide a certain number of player issue jumpers each season.
One-off promotional jumpers are now more successful as the money made out of them is mostly determined by whether the team wins on that day.
Plus, they can do whatever they like to them to make them different from the Home jumper, for the collectors who want something different.
With the Heritage designs, they're stuck with what appears here: http://footyjumpers.com/clubs.htm
Appreciate the response, again, was this a statement from the afl? Was there a statement from the afl or did it just stop being in the fixture?

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I feel like there would be a better way to do it in 2020. Even if it's buying guernseys to order etc., and picking designs that they know will sell. You only have to look at the eBay markets for heritage guernseys to know that they're in demand.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
I'd love for Port to do each of their past guernseys so I could buy one of each (no need to do the Collingwood one we wore for a bit though!). When they were been done in the past heritage games I couldn't justify the expense, but now one a year would be good. I'd particularly like to see the ones that haven't been done yet used on the footy field in heritage matches.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Appreciate the response, again, was this a statement from the afl? Was there a statement from the afl or did it just stop being in the fixture?
There was no statement.
However, I know a few people who work(ed) for the AFL

1620627694766.png

1620627716514.png

1620627755058.png

1620627984315.png

The above images from 1950/1 Argus and 1950 Weekend Magazine seem to indicate Geelong wearing, perhaps, a lighter blue than we're used to seeing today. I suspect this is primarily artistic license, although I wouldn't rule out printing limitations or a simple fade of colour over a period of time.

Would anyone here be able to clarify? SJ Mero Have the Cats ever worn a non-navy blue?

In pretty much every other source, it appears as though a darker, navier blue is true. For example, in these badges from the same year it appears as though Geelong's badge is navy (and their fellow navy/white comrades Carlton are the penguins - bring that back!). The cover of the Sporting Life July 1950 is also clearly navy.

1620627730263.png

1620627938619.png

And this 1951 VFL Grand Final video clearly indicates navy. At 4:25 players run out of race - close-up and highest definition of their jumpers - and the navy hoops are indistinguishable from the black shorts.

Again, I highly suspect it's just artistic license but I'm curious if anyone knows more.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
View attachment 1123621
View attachment 1123623
View attachment 1123625

View attachment 1123627

The above images from 1950/1 Argus and 1950 Weekend Magazine seem to indicate Geelong wearing, perhaps, a lighter blue than we're used to seeing today. I suspect this is primarily artistic license, although I wouldn't rule out printing limitations or a simple fade of colour over a period of time.

Would anyone here be able to clarify? SJ Mero Have the Cats ever worn a non-navy blue?

In pretty much every other source, it appears as though a darker, navier blue is true. For example, in these badges from the same year it appears as though Geelong's badge is navy (and their fellow navy/white comrades Carlton are the penguins - bring that back!). The cover of the Sporting Life July 1950 is also clearly navy.

View attachment 1123624

View attachment 1123626

And this 1951 VFL Grand Final video clearly indicates navy. At 4:25 players run out of race - close-up and highest definition of their jumpers - and the navy hoops are indistinguishable from the black shorts.

Again, I highly suspect it's just artistic license but I'm curious if anyone knows more.

Hand Colouring of Black & White photos was an art form we are no longer used to in this era.
As you'll see from the Weekend Magazine pic, the crowd are in B&W. Only the players, umpire and the turf are painted in.
Those artists were not necessarily football followers.
They would have been told what colours the uniforms were, and then painted them with the inks & paints they had available.
This image was then photographed, and converted into Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black dots, which then make up the image.
To highlight the difference between Black & Blue, the artists chose a lighter shade of Blue, however this was never the same as what Geelong wore in their jumpers (or socks)

neogh

Senior List
Apr 17, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dolphins, MVFC

I can see why and think I heard about the lack of profits from Heritage Round.

But I still have 2 questions.

One is why are those retro jumpers (usually the collared ones) classified as one-off jumpers and whether they are really different from the Heritage jumpers

and Two is why can't the AFL come up with a more family-friendly round that carries most of the elements of Heritage Round that dedicates for the older audiences? A Historical Round that tries to connect kids and adults to each of their era of footy.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I can see why and think I heard about the lack of profits from Heritage Round.

But I still have 2 questions.

One is why are those retro jumpers (usually the collared ones) classified as one-off jumpers and whether they are really different from the Heritage jumpers

and Two is why can't the AFL come up with a more family-friendly round that carries most of the elements of Heritage Round that dedicates for the older audiences? A Historical Round that tries to connect kids and adults to each of their era of footy.
Heritage Round was an organised event each year.
It began in 2003 and was supposed to continue in 2008, however, clubs told the AFL they were not interested in developing jumpers for it.
A few clubs had Heritage jumpers already made in 2008, and so they are listed as Heritage.
(Jumpers are approved the season prior to their use)
Geelong and Melbourne went ahead with using their against each other in 2008 in what would have been Heritage Round, then called Tom Wills Round.
The logo would have looked like this each year
View attachment 1125044
I guess I've let a few slide in there as well where they're technically one off, but the intent was to celebrate the Heritage of the club

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I would use Illustrator and do them like this.

Goalkickers, you make the Maroon background with logo and headings, then setout the 5 text entries the same distance apart. On the same line for each you create another text entry lining each up under the other. Then copy and paste, or type the new standings each week

For the GF fixtures I would make one Home and one Away of each team, so the logo is always in the middle of the graphic. Then place them each week, or have them in each position, but with visibility turned off. The rest is a typing exercise for Round, Date and Grounds.

The YPFL fixture is even easier. Just have the background set up, and the only thing you're changing each week are the Round number, the date and the games details. Same with the logos, have each set up in each spot and turn off visibility

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C

Goalkickers, you make the Maroon background with logo and headings, then setout the 5 text entries the same distance apart. On the same line for each you create another text entry lining each up under the other. Then copy and paste, or type the new standings each week

For the GF fixtures I would make one Home and one Away of each team, so the logo is always in the middle of the graphic. Then place them each week, or have them in each position, but with visibility turned off. The rest is a typing exercise for Round, Date and Grounds.

The YPFL fixture is even easier. Just have the background set up, and the only thing you're changing each week are the Round number, the date and the games details. Same with the logos, have each set up in each spot and turn off visibility
Legend! Cheers mate.

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many

If you have InDesign it might be easier with frames and tables

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
InDesign 100%. That's what I do everything for with my local footy club. Everything just drops in to the frames!
Same for me - makes things so easy when all you do is change a name and logo or two, week-to-week.

I use ID for a ton of stuff now, the mail merge tool in it is so much more powerful than Office's considering you can merge graphics and stuff.

I’ve recently picked up an Apple Pencil, can anyone recommend me a good graphics app?
Procreate seems to be the app people use but I think that is best for drawing

Back