Preview R11: Changes vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Did we? Not sure if you have read the Roar article which goes through the last few minutes play by play
The key criticism throughout is that we played to fast and aggressive (and recklessly) in the last few minutes which gifted the Pies the opportunity to win
The one thing we didn’t do was slow it down and take time off the clock once we hit the front
I have to admit you've exposed an error I made previously :poov1::embarrassedv1:.
I'd complained that with 7.19 left the Crows should not have slowed down<<muttermutter whinge gripe :grimacing:>>.

You/TheRoar are right. They didn't, but you identified the problem.
They went about it "recklessly" <<muttermutter whinge gripe :grimacing:>>.

It's fair to blame the players involved, especially ROB (who cannot kick the ball 40m accurately, ever, so no point trying) and Keays (who is always in FastForward mode --- I don't know if he panicked but the snap was not the best option <<muttermutter whinge gripe :grimacing:>>).

However, I think one of our Coach's roles is teaching composure-under-pressure <== Dawson and Tex could help him with that, but I doubt he'd ask them (to do so, he'd need humility and insight).

Food for thought, looking ahead.

From TheMongrelPunt, giving credit where due:
"... [kudos] should go to the [Sydney] list manager for picking up so many players who are elite by hand and foot. The only thing stopping this team winning the flag at this stage might be injuries.".

Reid & Ogilvie, please note: it did not say "... for picking up so many players who are big-effort, scrappy triers", or
"... for picking up so many players who lack composure", or
"... for picking up so many players who fold under pressure". :sadv1:
Yeah maybe whoever wrote that at the Mongrel Punt should actually delve a little bit deeper, Erroll Gulden,Isaac Heeney, Nick Blakey, Braeden Campbell, Callum Mills who are their best users are all products of the Swans Academy that no other clubs were ever a chance of drafting. Maybe, just maybe it's the Swans Academy Development Coaches that should be getting the major credit not so much their list manager. By the way Swan James Rowbottom is a very good footballer but his kicking is a fair way off elite and he came through the Victorian pathway at the Oakleigh Chargers.

Disposal efficiency by both sides - real efficiency not the CD made up stuff
Speed
Vision /Thinking - do they make good choices
Tackling - are they good doing them and good getting out of them
Competitiveness
I'd be looking for 'composure-under-pressure', but that comes under 'vision/thinking', yeah?

What's depressing is that most of our players are deficient in 2 or more categories :sadv1:.
Hard to think of a single player who excels at them all --- Rankine is close --- even Dawson is not a great R-foot kick, but passable. Full-on ambidexterity is pretty rare; Tex comes close, but I'll bet he's worked bloody hard at it. Roo could handball with his L hand pretty much further than he could kick L-footed :laughv1:.
Injury management - this is an ambiguous one but I think to the difference between a McIntosh and a McAdam
I doubt that recruiters would know about this before recruitment.

... can someone please tell Ned 'not Harley Reid' McHenry that he's 5 foot 6 and 70 kg?
Exaggeration for effect? (he's 5'10") but yeah, he hasn't enough weight to try to throw it around :rolleyesv1:.
In fact if he could learn that he's actually not evasive at all and just give off to the first option, it would be better for everyone.
This; so much this :sadv1:.
Another poster posted a clip of him literally running around in circles in our defensive 50 before coughing up the ball.
Not only does he not know his limitations, he seems to think he doesn't have any :eekv1:.
We have a few others:
--- Sholl, skillful, but too scrawny and contact-averse for AFL
--- I love Keays, but he could be so much better with some composure and more awareness.
--- Fogarty (when he started, not so much now) who's built like a brick $hithouse but there are many bigger than him in the AFL which took him a few years to adjust to.
--- Smith, who thinks it's 2017; he just cannot do what he used to and should retire asap.
--- ROB, who tried to kick a 40+m goal on the run, or in his case, on the heavy, lumbering jog. I'd venture to say he has never done that.
Maybe he thought he could get it straight, kick his usual 30-35m and hope it dribbled across the goal line? Whatever he was thinking, it was not "Ooo, there's Fog 20m away, in front of his man ..." :sadv1:.

As I said a week or so ago, they made this mistake with Porplyzia when the “experts” said no further damage could be done. But the fact remained, we were left a player short every time the damn thing popped out again. Put him in for surgery now and get him ready for next season.
The Porpoise :cryv1:.

I loved that kid; his ability to gather on the run was peerless in his team. Such clean hands, strong/nuggety, bullet kick, great footy nous/awareness, coulda been anything but you're right, that shoulder (reconstructed 2011) held him back badly.
At least he got an SANFL Flag in 2015.

What do you expect to achieve by asking everyone you disagree with this question?

Jump over to Bunnings and buy a tape measure, it'll serve you well.
I was trying to ascertain why anyone would think our crowds are falling?

My impression, attending all home games, is that crowds have increased this year.

Do you think crowds are falling due to the horrible performances by the Crows this year?

I'd be looking for 'composure-under-pressure', but that comes under 'vision/thinking', yeah?
Yes
What's depressing is that most of our players are deficient in 2 or more categories :sadv1:.
Hard to think of a single player who excels at them all --- Rankine is close --- even Dawson is not a great R-foot kick, but passable. Full-on ambidexterity is pretty rare; Tex comes close, but I'll bet he's worked bloody hard at it. Roo could handball with his L hand pretty much further than he could kick L-footed :laughv1:.

I doubt that recruiters would know about this before recruitment.
Possibly but I think its a question worth asking of their coaches etc + you can see how many games they missed and why

I actually left out marking - maybe because I used to think everyone could or they were rovers.

But I think for KP players and rucks its a much needed skill to assess

My impression, attending all home games, is that crowds have increased this year.

Do you think crowds are falling due to the horrible performances by the Crows this year?
Crowds are well up. There's been 5 home games this year, all with 40k+ crowds. Last year we had 5 40k+ crowds for home games (both showdowns, Blues, Magpies and Swans in the last game), so we've matched that in less than half the season. And that was the best attended season since pre-COVID.

I assume we'll be under 40k this week for the first time.

With nicks as our coach the crowds will CONTINUE to get worse. The season is over, play the kids.

There are plenty of reasons to criticise the AFC without making shXt up.

The average crowd over the 5 games this season is 46,372. The average crowd for the first 5 games last year was 40,327 which included matches against Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond.

The only apples for apples comparison was Brisbane; 33,188 last year compared to 40,278 this year on Mothers’ Day. An increase of 21.4%. The bottom line is that AFC home crowds are not getting worse, they have been getting better so far this year.

Now this could easily change in the back half of the season (will we get over 40,000 on Sunday?) but saying crowds are declining is just making up bullshit for the sake of an argument. Just admit it MsTopG and we can both move on 😁.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowds are well up. There's been 5 home games this year, all with 40k+ crowds. Last year we had 5 40k+ crowds for home games (both showdowns, Blues, Magpies and Swans in the last game), so we've matched that in less than half the season. And that was the best attended season since pre-COVID.

I assume we'll be under 40k this week for the first time.
Big crowd will be there to see Harley in action. Looking forward to seeing McFlurry trying to tackle Harley

The Porpoise :cryv1:.

I loved that kid; his ability to gather on the run was peerless in his team. Such clean hands, strong/nuggety, bullet kick, great footy nous/awareness, coulda been anything but you're right, that shoulder (reconstructed 2011) held him back badly.
At least he got an SANFL Flag in 2015.
As someone who had the surgery, I'd recommend anyone go without if they can. Mine was much worse after the first reconstruction.

Big crowd will be there to see Harley in action. Looking forward to seeing McFlurry trying to tackle Harley
hLOFYx.gif

ncBtg3.gif

Geoffa is the only one who has ever peddled this obviously false statement.

What professional, full time, AFL player, in 2024, let alone a leader will just say "Hey Nicksy just need to skip half of training this week, got a few modules to complete".

No coach, club, anyone - not even our rabble, would let that fly.

Bizarre take.

Geoffa is notorious for his backside takes

Why would you fallback on guesses and impressions? Why not use the actual numbers to make (or not) the point

There are plenty of reasons to criticise the AFC without making shXt up.

The average crowd over the 5 games this season is 46,372. The average crowd for the first 5 games last year was 40,327 which included matches against Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond.

The only apples for apples comparison was Brisbane; 33,188 last year compared to 40,278 this year on Mothers’ Day. An increase of 21.4%. The bottom line is that AFC home crowds are not getting worse, they have been getting better so far this year.

Now this could easily change in the back half of the season (will we get over 40,000 on Sunday?) but saying crowds are declining is just making up bullshit for the sake of an argument. Just admit it MsTopG and we can both move on 😁.
We just had our highest AO crowd since 2017, how on earth could anyone think crowds are declining? 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back