Prediction R12 Changes vs Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

My early, pre Peel match thoughts are…

I think we need to keep our defensive structure with the two talls plus Ryan. I was in favour of going shorter against Collingwood, but after watching Chapman last night I don’t want him to be dragged into a defensive matchup. Dropping Draper and starting Wagner would mean Chapman likely plays deeper on Fritsch. But he’s far too valuable with ball in hand and needs to be free to use the ball up the ground.

I would again like to give Davies a shot ahead of Draper. But it seems we’ve made the call to stick with Draper until Cox is back. It’s not a knock on him, but he’s now played almost as many AFL games as senior WAFL games. I thought he looked slow last night and I think it’s time he goes back and develops his offensive game more.

I would like to see us ‘manage’ Fyfe and Walters, but I don’t see it happening. Maybe Walters goes to sub again - with Wagner starting, Aish playing more wing and O’Meara more forward. But I do expect both to play.

The only change I’m expecting is…

In: Frederick
Out: Emmett

I will play literally anyone over Emmett and Walters at the moment. Walters has the experience and club legend thing, it is indefensible for Emmett to be picked next week. Draper also needs a break for someone else to get a go.

I'd give Davies a go for Draper personally and keep Wagner sub because I still want two genuine talls and the rest of the backline is humming without changing roles. I'd also let Fyfe have the prolonged break to recompose himself but that's not going to happen.

if it was me
Out: Fyfe, Walters, Emmett, Draper
In: Ras, Sturt/Simpson (whoever plays better today), Freddy, Davies

Almost certainly what will happen
In: Freddy
Why Ras over Brodie? Youf?

We just can’t have 2 non goal kicking forwards in Switta and Emmett, while also carrying out of form Walters and Amiss. Sturt is no super star but he is a goal kicker. Just him for Emmett changes the balance of the forward line to a more attacking one. Yes we will lose pressure probably, but we are too defensive and non dangerous up there currently, it stands out like dogs balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the so called forward pressure is more us winning it back from outside our forward 50, moreso than any great ground level pressure inside 50. Most of the time there isn't anyone at ground level at all. Sturt could apply pressure through speed and smother rather than tackling per say and put pressure on the outlet kick that way. Plus you get the added benefit of having a reasonably consistent goal kicker.

Johnson is too slow in the head as an inside mid atm.
His best game was in Fyfes role, he's almost better inside because he doesn't have time to overthink
My early, pre Peel match thoughts are…

I think we need to keep our defensive structure with the two talls plus Ryan. I was in favour of going shorter against Collingwood, but after watching Chapman last night I don’t want him to be dragged into a defensive matchup. Dropping Draper and starting Wagner would mean Chapman likely plays deeper on Fritsch. But he’s far too valuable with ball in hand and needs to be free to use the ball up the ground.

I would again like to give Davies a shot ahead of Draper. But it seems we’ve made the call to stick with Draper until Cox is back. It’s not a knock on him, but he’s now played almost as many AFL games as senior WAFL games. I thought he looked slow last night and I think it’s time he goes back and develops his offensive game more.

I would like to see us ‘manage’ Fyfe and Walters, but I don’t see it happening. Maybe Walters goes to sub again - with Wagner starting, Aish playing more wing and O’Meara more forward. But I do expect both to play.

The only change I’m expecting is…

In: Frederick
Every reasonable poster on BF is basically on the same pages, it's going to be deflating when they refuse to change anything up

His best game was in Fyfes role, he's almost better inside because he doesn't have time to overthink

Every reasonable poster on BF is basically on the same pages, it's going to be deflating when they refuse to change anything up
Now that you're not a mod, can you please list the unreasonable bigfooty posters?

Given Walters is in that funk where every interaction has a ceiling of getting a stoppage, we really need him getting a goal assist when kicking the ball 60m from goal.

If he can start to create more moments instead of securing field position by getting it out of bounds or taking the tackle then it's less important, but I don't expect him to be able to work miracles.

It's not all down to him either, he's not going to win the 40m foot race to the loose ball tumbling along toward the boundary after a hack kick forward.
Does Walters have an issue with his hand? Wears that glove. He seems to have trouble fumbling. One moment in the last where he charged through collected the ball nicely but as he zig zagged through inexplicably just dropped the ball. Something going on there. If he has an injury now would be a good time to get that sorted either via rest or surgery. He is going no where except to retirement the way he is tracking. If that hand is a problem I’d bring Sturt into the team. Emmett devoid of confidence and was sub except for that early injury to Freddy so must be on thin ice.

I agree with others that spudley moment where stuffed the bounce and then made worse by trying to get through a tackle was the last straw.

I like how he charges at speed through tackles, I like his pressure and tackling intent but decision making with ball in hand has no composure and everything is rushed. That was evident with that bounce was all skittery skattery. Often like his i50 entries just so messy at times.

Agree to disagree. He misses kicks and and easy handballs. Overplays his hand too often. Majes poor and slow decisions often. Stuffs up a lot of our transition. We all know Brodie would play Fyfes role better than anyone else. We are just indulging our coaches dubious decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree to disagree. He misses kicks and and easy handballs. Overplays his hand too often. Majes poor and slow decisions often. Stuffs up a lot of our transition. We all know Brodie would play Fyfes role better than anyone else. We are just indulging our coaches dubious decisions.
I think on current form, any of then would play Fyfes role better but I'd still go Johnson, Ras then Brodie. Not sure why Brodie gets to play ahead of Ras given one is significantly better at Peel at the moment. Agree to agree agree to disagree

I think on current form, any of then would play Fyfes role better but I'd still go Johnson, Ras then Brodie. Not sure why Brodie gets to play ahead of Ras given one is significantly better at Peel at the moment. Agree to agree agree to disagree
Because one was exceptional at Afl level for us in that role and the other two haven't reached anywhere near that level as of yet. Johnson demonstratively so and Erasmus hasn't been given equal opportunity..

Fyfe will benefit from extra break between games. He seemed to struggle bending over last night. I’d keep him in. He could be subbed out for Walters later in the game all going well. Erasmus to come in as extra runner and midfielder.

Erasmus has had the much better form at Peel over Brodie.

Our mids will be outsized next week. That is the only value I see in Fyfe remaining in the team (rather than being 'managed'). As for Ras vs Brodie, Brodie is the bigger body and has far better hands. In the unlikely event they rest Fyfe I'd rather see Brodie in there. Emmett needs to work on his 'finesse' (not sure he has any ... is he the new Ryan Nyhuis of the forward line?). Sonny doesn't deserve a game but I imagine he will remain with no one to replace him although I think that Erasmus could play that role far better than Sonny. Not sure how they will deal with Amiss. As it stands, May will slaughter him. Think Voss would be a better option for this game. IN: Feddie OUT: Emmett ... that's all I see happening with our conservative selection approach.

Now that you're not a mod, can you please list the unreasonable bigfooty posters?
Attention posters, we have completed our evaluation of the board. We regret to announce the following posters have been deemed unreasonable, which I will read in alphabetical order... 007. That is all.

Maybe give Amiss a spell at Peel, to get his confidence back.

Freddy in for Emm
Voss for Amiss
(Voss has kicked 3 before half time)
I'm not sure a dewy ball up in the NT and Steven nutcase May on him will help his cause.

But also treating Amiss as a baby and not letting him know the realities of AFL isn't a great move, either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back