Review R19: Port v Brisbane Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Haunted him all the way to the prelim final in 2014, when Schulz didn't have a back issue and was so far in front of Butch as number one key forward it's not funny.

Butch had a good game, but let's not go nuts thinking it proves anything other than he can perform as the lone key forward outlet against mediocre opposition. As Hinkley said...and as Bassett said...he's got a long way to go to be an AFL calibre forward but as long as he gives his best every week that's all you can ask for.

Now if he performs the same way against Sydney...THEN you can say Hinkley made a selection mistake :)

If John Butcher performs against Sydney and then builds a decent career from there it will be genuinely amazing given the position he was in earlier in the year. What I don't believe is that it would prove he should have been kept in the side years ago, and that saying so detracts from the genuine achievement it has been to improve his game this year, and will be if he takes it even further.

Butcher simply wasn't good enough back then. His defensive side completely disappeared after his first year in which he attacked the ball, and the ball-carrier like an absolute madman. No player should be allowed to have zero defensive side, the only time it happens is when a player is so ridiculously good offensively that their opponent can't ignore them.

The other side was that he wasn't scoring goals, and wasn't damaging enough when he did get the ball. If his opponent completely ignored him and he took a mark inside 50, he wouldn't even score a goal 70% of the time, so there was no downside to playing off of him. This basically meant there was no reason to play him except to "have a tall option", which means any games he did get were (and perhaps are) an indictment on the state of our playing list.

In the tail end of 2016 he seems to have improved his set shot markedly, he isn't a Josh Kennedy but he is no longer only a 30% chance of scoring a goal from 20m out dead in front. It might not sound like much, but it is a massive deal. He still needs to find a way to play with Charlie Dixon, and he still needs to improve his defensive side - as it doesn't matter if he scores 5 goals when his opponent runs off him to set up 6 - but there is definitely a glimmer of hope for him.

Haunted him all the way to the prelim final in 2014, when Schulz didn't have a back issue and was so far in front of Butch as number one key forward it's not funny.

Butch had a good game, but let's not go nuts thinking it proves anything other than he can perform as the lone key forward outlet against mediocre opposition. As Hinkley said...and as Bassett said...he's got a long way to go to be an AFL calibre forward but as long as he gives his best every week that's all you can ask for.

Now if he performs the same way against Sydney...THEN you can say Hinkley made a selection mistake :)
What an achievement!

So within about 10 mins of me posting that Butcher's career is over, he kicks 2 in a minute and finishes the game with 4 and a BOG type performance.

If he can reproduce similar efforts (work rate not stats) he will certainly earn a new contract and he may even have some trade currency where he may get more AFL games because it's unlikely he'll be R1 best 22 here.

So within about 10 mins of me posting that Butcher's career is over, he kicks 2 in a minute and finishes the game with 4 and a BOG type performance.

If he can reproduce similar efforts (work rate not stats) he will certainly earn a new contract and he may even have some trade currency where he may get more AFL games because it's unlikely he'll be R1 best 22 here.
Feel free to make a similar post just before the first bounce against the Swans :D

I saw a few comments on old mate 'fatty' Toumpas, ragging on his disposal (loopy) and lack of involvement.

When watching the game i thought he was very useful, though quiet. Many nice touches hitting up shory, attacking targets breaking through the middle. No loopy kicks.

Looked up the stats: 12 touches, 10 score involvements. Better ratio than Boak's 32 & 17, Young's 22 & 15. Only beaten by BUUUTCH!!!!'s 20 & 17.

Could he have gotten involved more? Yep, sure. But we have severely lacked the composure to hit up the attacking short target heading towards goal this year and i thought jimmy did it better and more consistently than anyone else on the night. Just needs to do it more - hopefully he gets another chance.

I saw a few comments on old mate 'fatty' Toumpas, ragging on his disposal (loopy) and lack of involvement.

When watching the game i thought he was very useful, though quiet. Many nice touches hitting up shory, attacking targets breaking through the middle. No loopy kicks.

Looked up the stats: 12 touches, 10 score involvements. Better ratio than Boak's 32 & 17, Young's 22 & 15. Only beaten by BUUUTCH!!!!'s 20 & 17.

Could he have gotten involved more? Yep, sure. But we have severely lacked the composure to hit up the attacking short target heading towards goal this year and i thought jimmy did it better and more consistently than anyone else on the night. Just needs to do it more - hopefully he gets another chance.

It's almost as if he's an inexperienced player who needs a bit of faith and time to bed in at the level or something

Yeah thought Toumpas linked up around the ground very neatly on the night.

> Current year
> Not making the tyre power moment the John Butcher shark from ruck and goal

ISHYGDDT

> current year
> make a 1 min video with 30sec of black screen at the end

(Log in to remove this ad.)

> current year
> make a 1 min video with 30sec of black screen at the end

lol I thought this too. What even was that? Oh that's right, the video was done by Boak and Jonas who have been seconded to the marketing and media teams.

lol I thought this too. What even was that? Oh that's right, the video was done by Boak and Jonas who have been seconded to the marketing and media teams.

They haven't reached the clipping section of the online tutorial yet.

Watching the replay again.
That kick by Austin in the second quarter (5.23 to go) to Impey was perfect.
He lobbed it behind Merrett for Impey to mark and have a set shot to goal:)
Austin could end up being a beauty.
He has a number of arrows in his backpack. Smarts, very tall, gadget arms, good kick etc.

He rivals DBJ as the find of the season. I'd hate to see him squeezed out when our regulars are all fit.

He has a number of arrows in his backpack. Smarts, very tall, gadget arms, good kick etc.

He rivals DBJ as the find of the season. I'd hate to see him squeezed out when our regulars are all fit.

Austin coming on will probably release Trengove to the ruck. All going well, Austin should be in our 2017 R1 team.

Love the look of Austin. Currently he is spoiling everything (which is fine) but can't wait until he gets a bit more confidence and starts to go for some of his marks...

He's got the skill set to develop into a Choppy Pickett type player. If he ever puts it all together then watch out.
I think the main issue holding him back is his endurance. He blows a lot early in the game, was obvious watching at ground level against Brisbane. If he can build a good tank he will be a very exciting player

Love the look of Austin. Currently he is spoiling everything (which is fine) but can't wait until he gets a bit more confidence and starts to go for some of his marks...
I get the impression that Bass has coached the backline to spoil in any contested marking situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back